Why become a member? ×

Musicianship on another level

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

This was already dated when Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne were doing the same exact song 20 years ago...

Curious that the F word is acceptable, but the shortened version of Richard is not.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Curious that the F word is acceptable, but the shortened version of Richard is not.

That's my father's brother's name: Dick.

In my grandparent's defense though I doubt they knew the other meaning of it in English.

And at least they didn't name him Willy Dick Johnson.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

This is real music!

I have a particular dislike for that term. What makes something "real music"? What music is not real music? Is it a real thing or just snobbery? 

Metal fans are particularly guilty of this sort of thing, arguing over what's real and what isn't. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I have a particular dislike for that term. What makes something "real music"? What music is not real music? Is it a real thing or just snobbery? 

Metal fans are particularly guilty of this sort of thing, arguing over what's real and what isn't. 

What is a fake orgasm?

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 18:58, SteveXFR said:

Well, IMO, "real music" is not when someone churns out the most drab "stereotypical pop punk song with the worst lyrics", as you so rightfully wrote.
Everything about that song stinks in my ears.
Must admit it didn't help that the MGK person to me also looked like the typical loser who just wants to be known as a so-called "rock star", but I still think I'd reacted almost just as negatively if I hadn't seen the footage.

To me "real music" is essentially about love for music.
In the Willow gig, the interplay between especially guitar, bass and keyboards to me seems like a stellar example of what I'm on about. I only hear love for the composition there, not love for money or love for being famous.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

Wow, that is absolutely wretched! In fairness, it's the vocals doing the most damage to the whole affair as Mohini is a fantastic bassist. The more I hear from Will Smith and his talentless kids, the more I think he was a mistake. 

Seriously though, those vocals, urgh. Channeling the Yoko Ono vibes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I listened to the first song then had to bail out. The individual musicians are undoubtedly way more talented than I’ll ever possibly be, but why does it have to be so bland?

When soul or r’n’b or jazz gets so smoothed out to the point where there’s no stinky funk left in it, I quickly lose interest. But that’s on me, not the band.

Couldn’t take those vocals for more than one song either. Sorry, OP. But I do appreciate being given new stuff to listen to, so thank you, even if it’s not for me.

• Like 1