Why become a member? ×

New amp and cab for under £1000 - advice please!

HP BASS

Hello, I'm new here so please be gentle with me! 

I've been playing for about 30 years but never been much into "gear" (don't hurt me)..had the same Trace Elliot GP7 with a Marshall 1550 cab (yeah, I know) most of that time, but they both finally blew up before a gig last week.

I have a Vintera Mustang and a Warwick Fortress 1 5 string, play mainly function gigs (with PA that has sub) and the odd bit of blues. 

Want something pretty small and light if possible. Longevity/reliability is also a high priority.. I don't want something with a lot of upkeep or that can't be fixed if needs be.

I'm in Essex, and would also like to be able to try before I buy, in London is possible.

Any suggestions please? I have a few ideas but I'll see what you say first.. thanks!

From the not wanting something with a lot of upkeep/that can’t be fixed comments I’d look at Ashdown, especially as you’re in Essex (as are they). In my opinion Fender & Ashdown work very well together. But I’d def look at used gear, really maximise your options.

• Like 2

Based on my own experience an Ashdown ABM and Barefaced Two10S (both secondhand) would fit your requirements and budget. I bought mine from two upstanding chaps on this site for £975 total and it's an amazing setup.

The ABM isn't as light as a solid state amp thanks to the valve preamp and sturdy frame, but it's hardly backbreaking, and the Two10S is incredibly light, easily liftable with one hand.

Ashdown have great customer service, and Alex the main guy at Barefaced is always open to discuss gear requirements.

Boss Katana 210 combo has everything anyone needs. 

Minimal upkeep, everything in one box, relatively light (21kg) and all the fx and sounds under the sun. 

And you can get them for around £450.

Thanks all that's helpful. 

I'd not come across much Ashdown, but they certainly seem to get a lot of love on here, I will check them out. 

Happy to go 2nd hand if I can find the stuff.. can't see any Barefaced 2 10s around on a quick search, but will keep looking. I've considered the MarkBass Traveler 102p.. have played Mark Bass combo at a gig and loved it, but I'm put off by the potential repair didifficulties. Hopefully mot such a problem with Mark Bass cabs?

27 minutes ago, la bam said:

Boss Katana 210 combo has everything anyone needs. 

Minimal upkeep, everything in one box, relatively light (21kg) and all the fx and sounds under the sun. 

And you can get them for around £450.

Hmm.. I'll have a look around, would like to try one out, thanks 

9 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Based on my own experience an Ashdown ABM and Barefaced Two10S (both secondhand) would fit your requirements and budget. I bought mine from two upstanding chaps on this site for £975 total and it's an amazing setup.

The ABM isn't as light as a solid state amp thanks to the valve preamp and sturdy frame, but it's hardly backbreaking, and the Two10S is incredibly light, easily liftable with one hand.

Ashdown have great customer service, and Alex the main guy at Barefaced is always open to discuss gear requirements.

Presumably ABM heads will likely need a bit of care and upkeep for the valve preamp? How about the Rootmaster class Ds? With a MarkBass 102p? Worth a try?

I think with the class D stuff you mostly have to eat the fact amps aren't that fixable anymore. That's not to say they can't be fixed but it often involves spending more than they are worth.

Even more reason to buy a lightly used one and hope for the best. Save some more for a spare you can leave in your glovebox.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I think with the class D stuff you mostly have to eat the fact amps aren't that fixable anymore. That's not to say they can't be fixed but it often involves spending more than they are worth.

Even more reason to buy a lightly used one and hope for the best. Save some more for a spare you can leave in your glovebox.

Yeah, I can't have my cake and eat it I guess. 

1 hour ago, HP BASS said:

Presumably ABM heads will likely need a bit of care and upkeep for the valve preamp? How about the Rootmaster class Ds? With a MarkBass 102p? Worth a try?

Definitely worth a try, but Dave Green at Ashdown is very good about doing any repair work for a reasonable fee so even if something does break it's not going to break the bank. They're pretty solid amps so should last for a while before you even need to think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HP BASS said:

Happy to go 2nd hand if I can find the stuff.. can't see any Barefaced 2 10s around on a quick search, but will keep looking. 

They don't tend to break easily so get held onto, and when they become available secondhand they don't hang about.

4 hours ago, HP BASS said:

I'd not come across much Ashdown, but they certainly seem to get a lot of love on here, I will check them out. 

The Ashdown founder was actually the Trace Elliot founder

More love for Ashdown from me too. I have the RM500 EVO II. Love it to bits

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HP BASS said:

Presumably ABM heads will likely need a bit of care and upkeep for the valve preamp?

Not really. The preamp doesn't see massive voltages like power amp tubes. It should tick along happily for years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Not really. The preamp doesn't see massive voltages like power amp tubes. It should tick along happily for years. 

Ah, I see, thanks. I guess when they go they just go quickly? But I guess that can happen with any sort of failure...

8 hours ago, police squad said:

The Ashdown founder was actually the Trace Elliot founder

More love for Ashdown from me too. I have the RM500 EVO II. Love it to bits

Yes that looks good if I go the Class D route.. I've seen an ex-demo EVO I going a bit cheaper, need to look up what the difference is.

Ashdown also have RM 300 EVO II on their website but can't see any anywhere to actually buy...

11 hours ago, asingardenof said:

And this (I swear I'm not getting any kickbacks from Ashdown or anything - I wish!) 

That's very cheap!? I guess probably a few years old. Didn't know you could actually buy through here, will look into that too.. Thanks!

12 hours ago, asingardenof said:

They don't tend to break easily so get held onto, and when they become available secondhand they don't hang about.

They are tempting... can't see any 2 10s anywhere though unless order and wait from Barefaced. Will try to see if I can try one of their other cabs, that might tempt me to take a punt and wait for the 210s...

11 minutes ago, HP BASS said:

Yes that looks good if I go the Class D route.. I've seen an ex-demo EVO I going a bit cheaper, need to look up what the difference is.

Ashdown also have RM 300 EVO II on their website but can't see any anywhere to actually buy...

The difference between the RM500 EVO I & II is that the I has a shiny front panel rather than matt and is double the weight (tho still only about 4kg). Volume, EQ and soundwise they’re the same, I’ve had both, still have the EVO II.