Why become a member? ×

Cover Band MultiFX (which is "best")

glassmoon

Hi all, 

This could end up being a long discussion or a heated debate, but what I would like, is advise/input/opinions/options for a good quality, not badly priced, simple MultiFX unit for use in a typical pub cover band. 

Barring several months usage of a BOSS GT-10B some years ago, I have only ever had multiple pedal boards, and in the last 4 years, I've stripped right down to having (besides my preamp) an octave (for a Stevie Wonder keyboard vibe) and chorus (cos I love chorus). But I've now joined a covers band and I have a need for a couple of synth/keyboard tones as well as a few different drives (subtle to brutal). 

I've been looking recently at the Line 6 POD Express Bass, mostly cos it's under £200 and also as it looks fairly "easy" to get a few decent effects setup for the half dozen songs I'd likely use effects on. 

But, this is where it gets interesting, I've been thinking that I'd most likely never really need IRs and all those kinds of things. I've managed fine until now, so I'm not sure if I have the right mind to figure those things out. Although from what I've read on these pages, the whole IR and amp/cab sim side of things is huge if you want to use IEMs..

So, I'm also looking at the old faithful Zoom B3, simple, easy to use and cheap. 

I don't want to spend a fortune, I would prefer something small (the HX Stomp fits that bill perfectly), and ultimately, something that is not going to be a lot of oomph with a little usage... Money spent on things not used seems daft to me. 

Sorry for the long message for a simple question, but I do like context LOL. 

My thanks in advance for what I know, will be terrific input. 

Julian aka Glassmoon 

The Zoom B1Four/B1XFour are very affordable, have a whole range of F/X  and punch above their weight in sound quality (IMHO).

and I see there is a Zoom B2 Four listed here on BC for a good price.

Sam x

• Like 3

@SamIAm, thank you so much for those. I've never really looked at the B1-4, I guess cos it looks "plastic and could break", but I will have to take a closer look. The B2-4 looks great. I feel daft for not even considering that one. Wow.

Ta!! 

• Like 1

In part it depends on whether you want to switch multiple effects on and off in a single song. If you do then you're looking at multiple switch devices such as the B1/B2-Four, B6, B3n, HX Stomp, HX Effects, etc. If not then you could even use an MS-60B or MS-60B+.

• Like 1

So, I've pulled the trigger on the Zoom MS-60B.  Kinda excited for this to arrive and to get playing.

As much as the B3 (which I have played a little with some years back) and other Zoom units look amazing, it is the dinky footprint of the 60 that got me.

I'll be taking off my EBS chorus for this one... now to learn how to use it hahahaha

49 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

So, I've pulled the trigger on the Zoom MS-60B.  Kinda excited for this to arrive and to get playing.

As much as the B3 (which I have played a little with some years back) and other Zoom units look amazing, it is the dinky footprint of the 60 that got me.

I'll be taking off my EBS chorus for this one... now to learn how to use it hahahaha

Good shout...you know that the MS-60B+ is coming out in a couple of months as the replacement for the 60B which was originally released back in 2013? Might be a nice one to upgrade to down the line - will also have the same dinky footprint but the upgraded chipset found in the B2-4. I'm looking forward to getting mine 😊

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Good shout...you know that the MS-60B+ is coming out in a couple of months as the replacement for the 60B which was originally released back in 2013? Might be a nice one to upgrade to down the line - will also have the same dinky footprint but the upgraded chipset found in the B2-4. I'm looking forward to getting mine 😊

I did consider the + version @Al Krow, but ultimately, it was down to the price... Not a cheapskate, just need to get my head wrapped around the unit hee hee

No doubt I'll upgrade sooner rather than later. Top tip mate

2 hours ago, glassmoon said:

I did consider the + version @Al Krow, but ultimately, it was down to the price... Not a cheapskate, just need to get my head wrapped around the unit hee hee

No doubt I'll upgrade sooner rather than later. Top tip mate

You may find it easier to set up patches using Tonelib-Zoom which as yet hasn't been updated to support the B6, B2-Four, or MS-60B+. It's one reason to stick with the older pedal until either Zoom or Tonelib starts supporting the newer one with external software (Zoom didn't support the old one so probably not much chance there).

Edit: unless you have an iPhone or iPad, which do have an app to edit MS-60B+ patches.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Many thanks again @Al Krow

I will start with the software today - assuming the unit arrives today, as expected.... it's been a while since I used any software, but I believe the Zoom program is pretty easy to get around.

1 hour ago, glassmoon said:

Many thanks again @Al Krow

I will start with the software today - assuming the unit arrives today, as expected.... it's been a while since I used any software, but I believe the Zoom program is pretty easy to get around.

Fyi I much prefer the Tonelib software, which is also free, to Zoom's own patch editing software. They've done a great job!

It's something I'm going to greatly miss when I get the MS-60B+ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Fyi I much prefer the Tonelib software, which is also free, to Zoom's own patch editing software. They've done a great job!

It's something I'm going to greatly miss when I get the MS-60B+ 

Zoom's Guitar Lab software doesn't work on the MS-60B anyway (I tried it yesterday just to be sure) - only Tonelib-Zoom does.

• Haha 1

Hi all

Anyone here have any idea why the MS-60B connects just fine to my PC, but the software can't see the unit - nor can I execute the firmware upgrade? (it doesn't need it, just interested why I can't execute)

See the pics attached...

At a loss here... 

Firmware update error

image.png.1c1f2e0813fcbb31635ce69b7319e2d8.png

ToneLib Error

image.png.ef8c3acf349e9151269e2b2c929b2163.png

BTW - I found this page - https://g200kg.github.io/zoom-ms-utility/ - and I am able to edit! 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! That is a valid point!

The cable has one of those barrels... so I'm thinking that is for power, not data (see attached)

Bugger

20240501_174313.jpg

Just did a quick experiment with mine and a known good USB lead.

Plugged straight into the PC, I get the USB connecting chime, and Tonelib-Zoom sees it.

Plugged into a hub, I don't get a chime, and Tonelib-Zoom doesn't see it. Although the hub seems to be misbehaving generally now, so maybe that part of the experiment was doomed to failure. Anyhow, if the PC chimes when the MS-60B is connected to it, it's got a data connection.

• Like 1

I've been reading a little on cables, and apparently anything with power... a cable with one of those barrels on it, a hub, anything that has power, will enable power/charge mode and not data transfer mode.  But I guess that's what happens when Zoom don't ship a unit with their own cable LOL

It doesn't need a special cable - I tested mine with a couple of bog-standard USB cables (including one with a barrel) and ToneLib could see it. Could be that you've got a power-only cable, or you're using a power-only USB socket?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The barrel is a choke and it's normally only present on USB data leads. 

Very interesting... I can't win, I've tried with 2 cables and I get the same issue all round.  I will try on my work laptop and see if that wins.

My thing now is to figure out the simple operations like how do I change from patch A to patch B... it's been a while since I played with anything like this LOL

43 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Very interesting... I can't win, I've tried with 2 cables and I get the same issue all round.  I will try on my work laptop and see if that wins.

My thing now is to figure out the simple operations like how do I change from patch A to patch B... it's been a while since I played with anything like this LOL

Does the PC give a chime when you connect the pedal?

21 hours ago, glassmoon said:

Hi all

Anyone here have any idea why the MS-60B connects just fine to my PC, but the software can't see the unit - nor can I execute the firmware upgrade? (it doesn't need it, just interested why I can't execute)

See the pics attached...

At a loss here... 

Firmware update error

image.png.1c1f2e0813fcbb31635ce69b7319e2d8.png

ToneLib Error

image.png.ef8c3acf349e9151269e2b2c929b2163.png

BTW - I found this page - https://g200kg.github.io/zoom-ms-utility/ - and I am able to edit! 

I've just reproduced this by running Tonelib-Zoom with the MS-60B connected, then starting the firmware updater while Tonelib-Zoom is still running. It's because Tonelib-Zoom has reserved the MIDI connections to the MS-60B. Try again without Tonelib-Zoom running.