Why become a member? ×

Amps you never tried and then discovered a star or two

BassAdder60

Having originally planned to quit with all my lovely bass rigs sold ( except cabs ) I had the opportunity to join a new band that gave me my mojo for playing again

Frantically looking for new amps but used I found myself searching on here for some “ different amps” I hadn’t tried before 

Enter EBS Reidmar 750 wow a cracking amp and very nice sounding with a better EQ than previous amps I have owned 

Next enter EBS Reidmar 752 same as above but newer less powerful into 4ohms version ( decided to keep this one )

Next TE1200 omg bloody amazing amp ( keeping ) 

So I’ve found the EQ frequencies on these amps especially the “ low” is more to my liking compared to many Ashdown, Ampeg, Orange etc amps I’ve owned. 

Never thought about EBS as a brand but they make an excellent very decent sounding amp.

The TE1200 is just a nudge above them for sound quality but very close and one of the nicest sounding amps I’ve owned. 

All have good built in compressors so no more pedals to worry about. 

Hopefully that’s it with my new stock of gear ! 

• Like 3

For me it was Ashdowns ABM amps. I’d heard them being used and the people using them always had them set to that warm mushy “woolly” sound so I’d never bothered with them figuring that was all they did. But at a gig the provided rig was an ABM500 and matching 2x15. Precision & Sansamp plugged in I was amazed at the depth of sound available, and dare I say the H-word, heft coming from it. It wasn’t far short from the same Precision & Sansamp through a full Ampeg fridge set up. 

• Like 4

I'd always heard how good Markbass CMD 121 P combos were but always assumed they just wouldn't be loud enough in the type of bands I played in.

I saw one for sale slightly used on ebay, about 3 years ago, and it was so new and so cheap I decided it was time to try one.

When I actually took it to play with my band I was amazed how loud it was (I've never had it above halfway). I did team it up with a barefaced compact cab for a while but, frankly, it was overkill. 

• Like 2

:)

I knew it wouldn't be long before you got back into it :)

Part of the fun is buying, selling, trying and changing rigs and basses. 

I had an ebs 360hd - amazing amp. Never got chance to gig it, but everything about it was lovely in practice. 

I'm still a big believer in parametric / semi parametric dials on Amps. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Merton said:

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the TE1200 Martin - glad you are liking too!

There is definitely something special about the TE1200, maybe the EQ frequency points or the dual compressors but it sounds lovely.

I was tempted last year but the new price put me off slightly but the purchase on here was a great deal 

• Like 1

I had always (unfairly, and honestly I've no idea why) dismissed Ashdown amps as being Trace Elliot castoffs until I borrowed @Merton's ABM Evo when I joined the band and I was blown away at how good it was, and when it unfortunately decided to crap out on me an Evo IV was the obvious choice to replace it.

I have to say everything I've ever read, seen and heard about the TE1200 has been nothing short of effusive praise, so in the event I ever decide to move on from Ashdown one of these will probably be high on the list to replace it.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I had always (unfairly, and honestly I've no idea why) dismissed Ashdown amps as being Trace Elliot castoffs until I borrowed @Merton's ABM Evo when I joined the band and I was blown away at how good it was, and when it unfortunately decided to crap out on me an Evo IV was the obvious choice to replace it.

I have to say everything I've ever read, seen and heard about the TE1200 has been nothing short of effusive praise, so in the event I ever decide to move on from Ashdown one of these will probably be high on the list to replace it.

For me I think it’s several things on the TE1200 that offer a better sounding amp 

The bass EQ frequency values are not as low as say Ampeg and Ashdown and this seems to make it less “ wooly” or “ dark” sounding as it’s 70hz.

The dual compressors are excellent and the clean headroom is fantastic. 
I think the TE1200 can get close to the Ashdown or Ampeg sound especially with a pedal in front but its fair to say they can’t near the sound of the TE1200 and that’s what surprised me, a noticeable clarity and great sounding amp 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 3

Agreed @BassAdder60

I keep saying I find the TE1200 an excellent “pedal platform”. The core tone is superb but if you want grit or anything else, the amp just soaks it up and makes it sound better. A really impressive noise machine 😎

• Like 3

I'd always read glowing reports about Eden amps but hadn't ever had the pleasure and very rarely heard one live. Eventually an older USA made WT800 came up at an affordable price so I snagged it. It needed quite a bit of sorting out but once that was done 'Oh My Lord!' what a fabulous sounding thing it is. Tone is to die for and everything is clear as a bell. It seems impossible to get a bad sound out of it (and I have tried out of curiosity). 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Japhet said:

I'd always read glowing reports about Eden amps but hadn't ever had the pleasure and very rarely heard one live. Eventually an older USA made WT800 came up at an affordable price so I snagged it. It needed quite a bit of sorting out but once that was done 'Oh My Lord!' what a fabulous sounding thing it is. Tone is to die for and everything is clear as a bell. It seems impossible to get a bad sound out of it (and I have tried out of curiosity). 

Big Eden fan here! Many amps come and go but the Eden WT550 surpasses them all 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Big Eden fan here! Many amps come and go but the Eden WT550 surpasses them all 😁

I'd have had a 550 in a heartbeat but they're few and far between now. The 800 is fabulous but it's a heavy old lump.

For me the most under rated amp (especially in view that they can be had for as little as £150) is Ashdown's Spyder series.  I have the 330 head which i run through an eden 410.  They are very reactive to valve swapping which suggests the 2 x 12AX7's actually do something rather than be a gimmicky light bulb.  Lovely core tone - maybe not that flexible - but what a tone.  I had one years ago before i really knew what i was doing and moved it on.  Ive now actually learned how to get my sound and its a phenomenal amp, only thing i would shift it for is maybe the 550 version, not that the 330 isnt handling all my gigging needs with ease

Edited by Pow_22