Why become a member? ×

La Bella Deep Talkin E string casualty!

I'm in shock this morning. Last night I snapped a flatwound string. Five years old,strung on my well set up Guild Starfire bass (the one with the wooden saddles urghh). I expected these to outlive me, ha ha. Maybe my expectations were too high on their longevity. 

The last time I snapped any string was 1988 ! 

As we all know, I'm looking at a new set £££, advice suggests you can't sort singles. I love these La Bella Deep Talkin strings. Combined with my Guild they are sort of a signature tone for me and my band. However should I switch brands? I still need that nice smooth coating on the replacements. I have tried Fender on my jazz and quickly switched back to rounds.

Looking forward to any comments / advice from the forum.

Also if anyone has a spare set for sale.....

18 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Strings direct will probably sell you a single one.

Then do the hand cream thing to age it down to sound like the old ones.

Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash said he used tomato ketchup on Roto RS66 to deaden them. To this day, I'm not sure if was being cheeky or not.

Edited by NikNik

31 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Ted Turner of Wishbone Ash said he used tomato ketchup on Roto RS66 to deaden them. To this day, I'm not sure if was being cheeky or not.

Do you mean Martin Turner?  Ted was one of the guitarists.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds very pedantic!  Wasn't meant to be.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Do you mean Martin Turner?  Ted was one of the guitarists.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds very pedantic!  Wasn't meant to be.

God, yes!! 🙂 Edited.

Edited by franzbassist

Time for a new set!  Within 2 or 3 gigs they will deaden nicely.  No other strings sound like La Bellas to my ears.  Just put a set on a short scale Hofner Beatle Bass and the tone is unreal!

Edited by acidbass

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash said he used tomato ketchup on Roto RS66 to deaden them. To this day, I'm not sure if was being cheeky or not.

There's a thread. Including some of my experiments.

The cream definitely works.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/474941-aging-new-flat-wound-strings/page/2/#comment-5082124

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Vaseline will deaden the string, I’ve done it and it definitely works, a Sean Hurley tip 

There was a time, back in the early Noughties, when RS66 were dead out of the packet!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NikNik said:

There was a time, back in the early Noughties, when RS66 were dead out of the packet!

I’ve never had dead strings out of the packets, was it a fault with them 

17 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never had dead strings out of the packets, was it a fault with them 

Mainly the E string, but there were reports of most being dead. Jason Howe acknowledged this. The internet is full of examples. Happened to me twice back then, and I sent the whole lot back to Roto. That's when I switched over to Warwick Reds, which I now find difficult to get ahold of.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2024 at 08:12, NikNik said:

Mainly the E string, but there were reports of most being dead. Jason Howe acknowledged this. The internet is full of examples. Happened to me twice back then, and I sent the whole lot back to Roto. That's when I switched over to Warwick Reds, which I now find difficult to get ahold of.

I buy the Warwick Reds from Thomann. The only problem is that is you want free postage you HAVE to spend another £140 or so on other stuff that you probably don’t necessarily need……! 😀