Why become a member? ×

Peavey basses

1 hour ago, Nigel Sleaford said:

opinions on the P bass variants which came before T40?

There wasn't any.

T-40 was the first bass Peavey released, it was followed by the T-45 then the T-20.

T20-SC-2-T45.thumb.gif.520fc4256a2d41569278ba75b01f9f0f.gif

T-20 lasted about 2 years before it body reshape and rebranded as the Fury.

Furies.thumb.gif.067d80aa1c3c6ba2b2ed08fe4085e879.gif

T-20/ & 1st gen Fury I found to be a decent bass, the 20 had a really wide flat fretboard that was skinny front to back 🙂 Both of them had the Ferrite single coil, ugly as sin but sounds sweet; I've one in a 51 P-bass copy 👍

T-45, I never got on with mine. Another poorly thought out tone circuit IMHO, middle pot did the single coil/humbucker but made the single coil bright. Roll the other tone pot back to take the brightness down a notch and the output drops 🙁

Another thing I remember, sold the 20 & 45 to a lad in Sweden, Peavey were using the shallow flat fretwire I heard Gibson owners complain about.  Don't imagine there were too many fret dress sessions before they needed replacing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

There's a 5 on Ebay at the moment in need of a bit of repair work: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326058163819 and another in That London for a bit more but in good nick https://reverb.com/item/80819258-peavey-c-5-zephyr-5-string-bass-guitar

The damaged one would be tempting but I think it's £100 over priced.

Thanks for the chronology correction. Basschat is an amazing place to learn about basses….I've been playing for over 40 years and still I know nothing really. I played  very frequently in a function band for years, and my bass was always the very last thing to be plugged in, after everyone else was sorted. Sound familiar to anyone?

3 hours ago, Nigel Sleaford said:

Thanks for the chronology correction. Basschat is an amazing place to learn about basses….I've been playing for over 40 years and still I know nothing really. I played  very frequently in a function band for years, and my bass was always the very last thing to be plugged in, after everyone else was sorted. Sound familiar to anyone?

Well, yes, mainly because I set up the PA first.

10 hours ago, Nigel Sleaford said:

I played  very frequently in a function band for years, and my bass was always the very last thing to be plugged in, after everyone else was sorted. Sound familiar to anyone?

Yes but mostly because I played with a drummer who needed many cymbals and toms and a guitarist who had such enormous amounts of distortion he would always end up with feedback problems and have a melt down 

• Thanks 1

I've only ever owned a Sarzo but it was a very nice piece of kit, just couldn't abide the lack of a forearm contour. I always wanted to try a T-40 but missed out on them during the time they were less than 400 quid, so it's a dream which will go unfulfilled, now.

After the great cull of yesteryear where I was forced to sell some of my beloved and prized instruments, I tried to find a solid bargain on the 5 string front. Shopping list: An insane B string, 35" scale. close string spacing, quality neck through, light weight, well balanced... eveything you can't get on a £250 bass together!

Well, so I thought. It took a little (nerd level) investigation to find an instrument that had been staring me in the face for over 20? years. The Peavey Cirrus is a bangin' bass! I'd love a USA model but I picked up a (specifically) Indonesian made BXP from, hmm, 2000's? It seems to be an unusually good example, very light and well looked after. A secondhand eBay 'sight unseen' purchase that I wondered if I may regret but lucked out; ended up talking tech metal and prog with the seller for a day or so after! Nice guy!! 

The only thing I have done with it so far is to ditch the standard tuners and drop in a set of absolutely amazing Gotoh GB350 ResOLites. The VFL pickups can stay, but I think the preamp will have to go. I recently reviewed the Barefaced Big Twin III with it (video on it's way soon!!) and the sounds is fantastic. Maybe I just lucked out on a really good example. I then picked up another to use as a spare for gigs which, although another Indonesian, isn't the same. Its heavier and has a chunkier neck. Still worth the silly money for what is otherwise a cracking deal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dood said:

I picked up a (specifically) Indonesian made BXP from, hmm, 2000's?

Appeared on the market 2004, built by Samick.

I wasn't super impressed by the bubinga veneer, far right; mainly it was the gloss finish to neck and body.

I'd also been spoiled by the Bubinga bolt on neck model, the black teal, tiger eye custom and the wenge/walnut 😃

1622382669_Cirrusbolton.jpg.858143f2fcf104c377575656a6655f44.jpgCirri.thumb.jpg.124b69773516777a814d12a23a3d7c2c.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2024 at 20:13, kodiakblair said:

I wasn't super impressed by the bubinga veneer, far right; mainly it was the gloss finish to neck and body.

I'd also been spoiled by the Bubinga bolt on neck model, the black teal, tiger eye custom and the wenge/walnut 😃

1622382669_Cirrusbolton.jpg.858143f2fcf104c377575656a6655f44.jpgCirri.thumb.jpg.124b69773516777a814d12a23a3d7c2c.jpg

Thank you for the information! Yeh, in all honesty, the finish is my least favourite part, though the grain on mine seems to be attractive. I do want to get my bass refinished in my favourite paint job though, maybe I'll do that one day!

• Like 1

On 10/04/2024 at 20:13, kodiakblair said:

I had the passive version, the Grind BXP, both five and six strings. They were the Gen 1 models with a scooped out area on the front of the lower horn. I tried out a USA Cirrus and preferred the neck on the Grind (that saved a lot of money).

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

preferred the neck on the Grind (that saved a lot of money).

Nice when things turn out like that 😃

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I had the passive version, the Grind BXP, They were the Gen 1 models with a scooped out area on the front of the lower horn.

Actually more like 3rd gen models 😮 

1st Gen Grinds were active US built basses with bolt on necks. 4 string models were 34" scale length PJs while 5 strings were 35" scale JJ. A year later they were joined by bolt on BXP versions. The red 5 string is my US Grind, Black PJ my BXP. No of them were particularly good sellers so they were quickly replaced by the BXP neck through; built by InYen Vina over in Vietnam.

Grind-Grind-5-G-Bass.thumb.jpg.1a2dd5dd781dc4a69a45fda9cec0a355.jpg IMAG0873.JPG.72c67e848dfa577a9174788674c2850f.JPG

3 minutes ago, itu said:

Weren't there also the G-bass (maybe in the picture?), and Brian Bromberg bass? What was their story?

G-bass is to the right of my 5 string Grind.

Basically they were Peavey's attempt to score sales away from G&L's L-1000.  No Modulus connection for the G/G-V basses. My mate Ronnie was still working for Peavey then, necks were under-sized at the factory then shipped to Bell & Carlson for a carbon wrap. They had Gotoh bridges and Gotoh copy tuning pegs. Single pickup was an earlier VFL design used on the 2nd gen Forum, with a Cirrus preamp minus the blend pot. G-V was a Cirrus with bolt on carbon wrapped neck.

B-Quad was the Bromberg bass. I sometimes see "bring back the B-Quad" posts on Peavey threads. Won't happen, the B-Quad is Bromberg's design and he's been quite happy having Carvin/Kiesel build them the last 15 years.  B-Quads, 4 & 5 strings, did have Modulus necks. Complicated circuit on them too. Stereo/mono output, piezo/active VFL pickups. 2 band EQ for the VFLs, tone pot for the piezo. Bridge has piezo saddles, each saddle had it's own level trimpot and could be panned left or right in stereo mode. 

B-Quad-B-90-Axcelerator.thumb.jpg.b8f111d7b904807c931ae047a2a92c9b.jpg

Peavey put out loads of models, hitting almost every letter of the alphabet; often think they did too many models and that's one reason why they get passed over. 

• Thanks 1