Why become a member? ×

What exactly did You did after Your last gig ?

Last gig wasn't a good one - Easter Sunday, 7pm start, 45 mile drive, there for half five. I'd arranged (given the early start/early finish) to pick the other half and the Boy up from her mother's on the way back (I'd come straight from the Sunday Lunch there), but the 7pm start morphed into a 10pm start, so it all kicked off. During the third encore after midnight (I'd made my position clear ('I need to go ASAP tonight') during the interminable wait to go on) I packed up (thankfully only Stomp and inears) and left - as I was leaving the car park the fifth encore was still going...

Picked them up, had a row (the other half was on a 14 hour (Nurse) shift the next day starting at half seven, so I understandably didn't have a leg to stand on), raided the fridge, watched some telly, went to bed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

44 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Last gig wasn't a good one - Easter Sunday, 7pm start, 45 mile drive, there for half five. I'd arranged (given the early start/early finish) to pick the other half and the Boy up from her mother's on the way back (I'd come straight from the Sunday Lunch there), but the 7pm start morphed into a 10pm start, so it all kicked off. During the third encore after midnight (I'd made my position clear ('I need to go ASAP tonight') during the interminable wait to go on) I packed up (thankfully only Stomp and inears) and left - as I was leaving the car park the fifth encore was still going...

Picked them up, had a row (the other half was on a 14 hour (Nurse) shift the next day starting at half seven, so I understandably didn't have a leg to stand on), raided the fridge, watched some telly, went to bed.

Ouch but she has the upper hand there i'm afraid. Don't envy you that one.

Hope she was ok for her shift. 

Have to ask why she does a 14hr shift. I thought the max in any one day was 13hrs with 11 hrs away from work. Obviously NHS is under a lot of pressure and i'm guessing that's the reason.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now that is a dream gig.

Certainly beats 2.5hrs.

Only 1 in 10 of our gigs would be further than 15 minutes. 1 in 40 would be almost an hour. Don't think I have ever done a gig more than an hour and a half away. We are purely local!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Only 1 in 10 of our gigs would be further than 15 minutes. 1 in 40 would be almost an hour. Don't think I have ever done a gig more than an hour and a half away. We are purely local!

Lucky you.  Tonight I'm an hour in each direction.  In two weeks time, it's two hours in each direction (on one of the most pitiful so-called "trunk" roads in existence, the A96 so 2 hours is assuming no lorries, tractors etc.).  Two weeks after, admittedly it's like a 5 min drive for me, but that is only one of the venues we play.  

Furthest I've had to go is probably Dingwall, that's over 3 hours each way (using the same crappy A96 mentioned before).

We may both be country bumpkins, but you don't have stupid effin mountains in your way...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I've actually got a gig 15 minutes away next week, with two about 40 mins away the week after. These will be the only local gigs I've done in months! Most are an hour or two's drive at least (last one was just over 200 miles away). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Just in case, if You reflect, start living and gigging in Latvia and 3 hour giggs for 300e for a band will be a normal situation😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

"This is a local gig for local people! There's nothing for you here!"

image.png.850fbe4ffadfb9ead20c80942fc7a271.png

• Haha 6

After the last gig, I crashed all my gear and loaded it into the car, helped to dismantle the PA, changed my shirt for a less sweaty one, then climbed in the car and drove the 1hr+ journey home. Once there, I sat down for a bit with a cup of decaf to wind down, and then slept the sleep of the bleeding knackered.

The next gig (tomorrow night) will be much the same, except the journey home will be half an hour longer.

Only one of my gigs this year will be closer than 45 mins to home. 

• Like 1

Honestly I would be ok doing more miles if we had more gigs - its been really quiet this year, but mostly because the singer and guitarist have had holidays on alternate weekends. I think i might put a post on our local music group to see if anyone wants a dep.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Honestly I would be ok doing more miles if we had more gigs - its been really quiet this year, but mostly because the singer and guitarist have had holidays on alternate weekends. I think i might put a post on our local music group to see if anyone wants a dep.

Vocalists always finds the way to afflict the band 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Lucky you.  Tonight I'm an hour in each direction.  In two weeks time, it's two hours in each direction (on one of the most pitiful so-called "trunk" roads in existence, the A96 so 2 hours is assuming no lorries, tractors etc.).  Two weeks after, admittedly it's like a 5 min drive for me, but that is only one of the venues we play.  

Furthest I've had to go is probably Dingwall, that's over 3 hours each way (using the same crappy A96 mentioned before).

We may both be country bumpkins, but you don't have stupid effin mountains in your way...

Yep i've driven that road. It aint great.

Dave

On 05/04/2024 at 10:33, dmccombe7 said:

Ouch but she has the upper hand there i'm afraid. Don't envy you that one.

Hope she was ok for her shift. 

Have to ask why she does a 14hr shift. I thought the max in any one day was 13hrs with 11 hrs away from work. Obviously NHS is under a lot of pressure and i'm guessing that's the reason.

Dave

Late reply, but...yeah, her shift is supposed to be 13 hours, but it never, ever works out that way: nurses can't just down tools when the clock goes ping (especially not on the type of ward she works on, which is with the terminally elderly and befuddled), and yep, understaffing makes this very much worse - the NHS is being propped up by the goodwill of its workers...

On a happier note, she started speaking to me the day after, so all's well... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A late report from last weekend, and another meh one: a last-minute agency fill-in gig, in a mostly-empty and largely indifferent pub - 'Ooooh, we were packed out last night, it's a shame' said the bar staff, which was no bloody consolation. Despite the enthusiasm of a few punters (most of whom only stayed for a couple of drinks here and there), it rapidly became a paid rehearsal sort of thing...there was some live Rugby League on several screens still rolling (they'd turned the big one behind us off, tho that might have been an added draw if we didn't notice people looking over our shoulders), so at least I got to watch some TV while we pretty much went through the motions...

And while I'm wingeing, what sort of mentality makes people come into a pub with a band already set up, sit at the table next to one of the PA speakers (when there's plenty more tables everywhere) and then pull their faces when the band starts? Did they think the immediate proximity of a stonking great 15" speaker (and a drummer a few feet from that) would somehow be a quiet place for a chat? Pffffttt...

I'm away to Northumberland for my birthday week next week, so I've a bit of time off, which will make a nice break. It'll rain, of course, but at least I can legitimately do Bugger All for a few days... 🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Sad 3

We were supposed to finish at 11pm but the 'one more song' brigade persuaded the singer to keep going until just before midnight. I packed up my gear while pretending that I could hear what one of of the drunken punters was shouting at me (I'd been deafened by the guitar amp on our tiny pub 'stage' in a window recess) by nodding and agreeing with him about everything; he looked surprised - he was probably telling me that I was a truly  'king terrible bass player. As the gents was swimming in p33 I crept out into the car park, found a dark corner and pi55ed into the bushes - alas, it was up a slope and my efforts flowed back down to kiss my shoes good night... 

Said cheerio to the other guys, loaded up, fired up the Jeep, turned on a Peter F Hamilton sci-fi audio book, cracked a can of Red Bull and munched a Yorkie bar - enough caffeine and sugar to see me through the 55 mile drive home in the rain without falling asleep at the wheel (I did that once, crashing the Transit on Bodmin Moor at 2am after a Penzance gig with my London band., not a good end to a 20 hour day..) 

Got home at 1:45am totally wired, cup of tea and Marmite on toast, sat with cat on lap in lounge watching DVD of 'Apocalypse Now' until 3:30am with subtitles so as not wake Mrs G ; fell asleep then was woken again at 5:30 when said cat wanted his first breakfast and litter box clearing out - life can be so exciting, rock'n'roll all the way! 

• Haha 3

We were  opening a festival, so we cleard off stage as quickly as possible (really grinds my gears when a band hangs around on stage after their set, with no consideration for the band next on stage) and stored our gear. We have a new album out, so we went to the merch table so see if we could flog a few cd's and shirts. After that we I enjoyed an alcohol free Guiness and enjoyed a couple of bands, before joining my family on holiday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

Got home at 1:45am totally wired, cup of tea and Marmite on toast, sat with cat on lap in lounge watching DVD of 'Apocalypse Now' until 3:30am with subtitles so as not wake Mrs G ; fell asleep then was woken again at 5:30 when said cat wanted his first breakfast and litter box clearing out - life can be so exciting, rock'n'roll all the way! 

As I got further through this paragraph; I thought this sounds exactly like my rock'n'roll lifestyle. Except I do peanut butter. Although depending on the gig I have stopped to pick up a shish kebab, the local town fish bar is a mad place to be at 2am when you're sober.

When I got the the last sentence I actually laughed out loud. 

• Haha 1

After a gig i open a bag of peanut M&M's for the drive home but i like the Red Bull and Yorkie idea from @Gasman

When i get home its coffee and 2 tea biscuit dookers and like @TimR if local kebab shop open its a cheeky wee donner kebab to be eaten when i get home another 8 miles up the road. (country living means takeaway food is usually a bit cool when i get home so i have to pop it in the old microwave for 20-30secs.

Happy Days.

Dave

• Like 2

On 02/04/2024 at 09:40, nilorius said:

What exactly did You did after Your last gig, before or after packing Your instruments and gear ?

Guinness at the gig.

Early finish.

Dropped my stuff in my partner's house.

Went to the Ex Servicemen's club to met her and friends. VoG Bass bitter.

Spoons. Strongbow, Jack Daniels. More Jack. Round of fireball shots.

The 'Fag'. Jack. Two rounds of baby guinness.

Not sure anything happened on Sunday...

• Haha 3

On 04/04/2024 at 02:11, Bluewine said:

Walked around in the theatre lobby hoping to get recognized.  

" Who wants to meet me? " lol

Daryl

IMG_20240309_191940~2.jpg

I had a fan approach me with our live cd "do you think Alex will sign this?"

😢

• Haha 2

On 05/04/2024 at 12:23, Woodinblack said:

Not for me... but I do gave a gig less than a minute's walk away in the summer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gasman said:

We were supposed to finish at 11pm but the 'one more song' brigade persuaded the singer to keep going until just before midnight.

What is it with some singers and not being able to frickin stop? I was spoiled for years with a very pro outfit that had a strict 'Two encores and they're lucky to get that' policy, and it never did any harm, in fact it kept us in high regard, but the current band/BL drives me nuts: if there's a single drunk (who's invariably spent most of the evening talking through the set and only come up for the last two) asking for more, it happens...and keeps happening until there's literally no-one asking for more. I've called it at five encores before now. There's a perfectly good get-out clause to stop, too: we used to just tell the drunks we had to stop because of time/the landlord, and that always worked. Bah, humbug, and probably pfffttt... 🙂

Oh, and back OT, if there's a Maccy D's on the way back (and there usually is), the Wrap Of The Day happens in the car (most of my gigs are 20 miles+ away), before a sit at a quiet telly with a brew while my system slows down before bed... 🙂

• Like 2

In the Glam band we'll do up to 2 encores depending how long we've been on stage and if venue time allows. Think the most we've ever done is 3 but that's our fav venue and we need to ask the owner if its ok to do another. He's usually up for it so that helps but he runs a Rock night club upstairs directly after the band so it cuts into the DJ's time but he's ok with that too.

In the punk band we generally don't do an encore and if we do its usually a song from the start of the first set. :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 1

See, that's a pro setup, that is... 🙂

Ohhhh, I don't want to even introduce the concept of playing something from the set again: that'd give the BL 40 more songs to go at, we'd be there till it was light... 😐🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1