Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what strings these are? Black silks on rounds

I got the AVRI from bass Bross the other day. Wondering what strings it came with. I never encountered round-wounds with black silk before - but I’m sure someone here has! 

they feel really smooth, almost like they are coated (like elixirs) they also sound pretty nice. 

IMG_7815.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert Manning said:

I got the AVRI from bass Bross the other day. Wondering what strings it came with. I never encountered round-wounds with black silk before - but I’m sure someone here has! 

they feel really smooth, almost like they are coated (like elixirs) they also sound pretty nice. 

IMG_7815.jpeg

I don't know about these strings, but do BB no longer offer new strings and setup on their basses?

They could well be GHS Pressurewounds. I use them. They are rounds but are slightly flattened during the process, they call it 'Alloy 52'. They feel smoother than a normal nickel round and give off less finger squeak, they play & sound like slightly worn in nickel rounds without that top end zing you get with brand new rounds for a while. They have black silks, and match your description of them feeling smooth. If you like em, keep em, they're not cheap to buy new. I believe they last well, mine haven't been on long enough to comment on that yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I don't know about these strings, but do BB no longer offer new strings and setup on their basses?

they do but you have to ask for it. 

I got an anniversary jazz and the classic p bass II last month and he got me some Lebellas and and nice wounds on the other with set up. 

but for this one I just ask for no strings and I knew I would replace them with elixir (didn’t want to waste a set). 

Edited by Robert Manning
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

They could well be GHS Pressurewounds. I use them. They are rounds but are slightly flattened during the process, they call it 'Alloy 52'. They feel smoother than a normal nickel round and give off less finger squeak, they play & sound like slightly worn in nickel rounds without that top end zing you get with brand new rounds for a while. They have black silks, and match your description of them feeling smooth. If you like em, keep em, they're not cheap to buy new. I believe they last well, mine haven't been on long enough to comment on that yet. 

Yup you’re right!!! 

I put them on my stingray. Quite a nice combination. still has an awsome slap and rock sound.  The mellowness takes off some of that brittle top end on the MusicMan. I think it could help it sit in the mix without screaming ‘I’m a stingray’ too much :D 

• Like 2

The silks look like the coated ones you get on Dunlop flatwounds. They sound round-esque when new. 

What's the bridge end like? Blacks silks with brass/silver/black ends? 

2 hours ago, Robert Manning said:

they do but you have to ask for it. 

I got an anniversary jazz and the classic p bass II last month and he got me some Lebellas and and nice wounds on the other with set up. 

but for this one I just ask for no strings and I knew I would replace them with elixir (didn’t want to waste a set). 

Good to know 😁