Why become a member? ×

Best combo for jazz and blues?

jay-jay84

Looking for a budget (very budget - ideally £300 max) combo amp which is good for jazz and blues but also versatile enough to do some funk and 60s rock, with good slap tones too. Mostly for home and band practise but will need to be played in small gigs like pubs too. I really don't know anything about amps so please help!!! thanks

40 minutes ago, jay-jay84 said:

Looking for a budget (very budget - ideally £300 max) combo amp which is good for jazz and blues but also versatile enough to do some funk and 60s rock, with good slap tones too. Mostly for home and band practise but will need to be played in small gigs like pubs too. I really don't know anything about amps so please help!!! thanks

Whatever the requirement, the answer is always a Fender Rumble - just change the number following, to suit the budget, so in your case that would be a F R 100

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Blimey. If anyone knows a brand new combo for £300 that'll do all that, order one for me, will you?

Sandy's recommendation above is about as close as you'll get, but even that is closer to £350 new. Used will open the options a little more.

If you don't live anywhere near a music shop, it's worth taking a day off work to visit a few and try things. Buying blind (or should that be deaf?) is a great way to end up disappointed.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sandy_r said:

Whatever the requirement, the answer is always a Fender Rumble - just change the number following, to suit the budget, so in your case that would be a F R 100

Yes, I agree. I have one, the 100, great rehearsal amp for my jazz and blues bands. I’ve not gigged it, but I reckon it would be fine. I got mine for £150 off Facebook.

Rob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So what have you got against Polka huh?

The sound of the accordion, which is only surpassed by the bagpipes as hand held cacophony devices. BTW, it was the Irish who invented the pipes as vermin repellent. After the Scots brought the gift of the game of golf to the Irish the Irish returned the favor by giving the bagpipe to the Scots. The Scots didn't know it was a joke.  🤪

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The sound of the accordion, which is only surpassed by the bagpipes as hand held cacophony devices.

So whats the best combo for accordian? I know, anything as long as its off! Didn't stop roland making a £4k V-Accordian though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So whats the best combo for accordian? I know, anything as long as its off! Didn't stop roland making a £4k V-Accordian though.

My V-Accordion sounds fantastic through my Roland AC60, with a TecAmp Puma as a sub.

2 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The sound of the accordion, which is only surpassed by the bagpipes as hand held cacophony devices. BTW, it was the Irish who invented the pipes as vermin repellent. After the Scots brought the gift of the game of golf to the Irish the Irish returned the favor by giving the bagpipe to the Scots. The Scots didn't know it was a joke.  🤪

I love this!!

I think the Scots should have their independence as long as they take their bagpipes with them. And never allow English people to wear kilts at weddings.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I love this!!

I think the Scots should have their independence as long as they take their bagpipes with them. And never allow English people to wear kilts at weddings.

I think that’s a fair trade

I always wondered why the English were so hell bent on conquering Scotland. Sure, they had bagpipes, kilts and haggis, but otherwise what was the attraction? Scotch?

Not that we were all that smart for acquiring Texas and Florida. That's come back to bite us in the arse big time. 😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Speaking as an Englishman, I think the attraction with moving ‘North of the wall’ would be that I wouldn’t be living in England anymore.

Indeed. I regularly look at Rightmove north of the border. 

On 20/03/2024 at 07:42, ossyrocks said:

Yes, I agree. I have one, the 100, great rehearsal amp for my jazz and blues bands. I’ve not gigged it, but I reckon it would be fine. I got mine for £150 off Facebook.

Rob

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on facebook and ebay. Would you say the rumble 40 is worth it? Won't have the same power for gigging but what do you reckon for practise? 

On 19/03/2024 at 21:06, sandy_r said:

Any opinions on the rumble 40?

23 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

So you have nothing against kazoo?

I'm in Schipol airport at the moment and apparently the Scots are playing Netherlands this evening - I've never seen so many kilts before - but luckily no bagpipes... yet...

I'd go second hand at that price point - lots of good looking combos on ebay.

25 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Gesundheit.

I'll let you in on a neat tone secret that will upgrade your bass to a bass kazoo:

I've heard that it is possible to emulate a kazoo sound on a bass, mind with a deeper tonality, simply by slitting the speaker cone(s) of your cab a couple of times.

Using guitar speakers instead of bass specific ones allegedly should help too.

And who wouldn't want their bass to sound like a bass kazoo?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash