Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR300

BigBoar

Hello all,

I'm looking at buying my first bass and I think I'm opting for the Ibanez SR300.

Does anyone else use this guitar or have an opinion on them?

Thanks 

Jon.

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

I've a couple of Ibanez and am happy with them (But they are sub-short scale and there is nothing else out there like them)

Not sure if you've come across Low End Lobster, he does a series of bass reviews on youtube.

In his review of the SR300 he rated it as 2/5.

Sam x

I've never played an SR300, but have owned a few other versions of the Soundgear (there have been dozens - the range goes back to the late 80s!) and they tend to be very good basses, particularly if you get on with a narrow neck.

What's interesting about the SRs is that for some reason they've always had a pretty low re-sale value, which means you'll very likely be able to find a used model from higher up the range for the same sort of price as a new SR300.

I likes an Ibby SR... got a couple...

An SR300 in Iron Pewter, 2 SR300 with pickup mods, an SR400 with pickup mods, an SR600...

20240102_111637.thumb.jpg.5b79dfe799cc081090dc787584693c15.jpg

Love the comfy Worn Pebble Body and Great Neck with Jazz Width Nut.

Edited by PaulThePlug

I don't own a SR300, but as others have said SRs a very well priced 2nd hand - just be aware that it's really only the SR300s that use the Powerspan pickups. So if you've tried one and liked how it sounds, anything higher up the range will be similar, but will have different pickups.

Great choice of bass. Fantastic quality and playability, you can’t go wrong. All you need is a nice setup with a nice set of strings, and away you go. 🤘🏻

I have owned a couple of Sr 300`s and they are decent budget basses. The build quality as with all the Ibby`s I have owned is good. As said above, the re sale value is terrible so make sure you want it before splashing the cash. If you can stretch to one of the better SR models second hand they have better pickup`s in them and are exc.

I'd check Faceache and Gumtree, see whats localish to you... SR300 usually around £160-£200ish. Older versions have a flatter body, not for me.

Don't be tempted to step down to the GSR200, they are alright, i have 2... but, the SR300 is way better.

Edited by PaulThePlug

I have a 370, which is the same bass but with a maple body and it's excellent. If I played 4s these days I'd happily gig it, but I use my other SR 5 and 6 strings mainly (and my BTB and new Cort A6).

I disagree with Paul above about the 200 series as I have an SR256 which I've gigged a few times and have no issue with it. The neck is just as stable as the multi laminate versions I have and being sub tropical and right on the ocean, temps and humidity vary a lot here.

On 17/03/2024 at 06:35, SamIAm said:

In his review of the SR300 he rated it as 2/5.

I just rewatched that after having seen it when it first came out, and I think it's harsh, and more reflective of his personal preferences than of the bass itself. There are owners in the comments that love it.

As for his criticisms of there being a 3 way pre onboard and it being too much for a beginner, what a load of bollocks, especially as he then goes to praise the Sire which is similar. Just centre them, set the volume and play. This comment makes about as much sense as saying someone learning to drive should only have a 90s car as the new ones have too many things to distract the learner - note, I had an instructors licence for many years.

Also his criticisms of the small neck and body, which is a preference for many like me, are obviously not just for him A P, J or Stringray feel like massive slabs to me and are less comfortable to play for that reason. I have no issue with the tone I get out of my SR375 with Dunlop SS rounds on it, though I might change these to the similar flats when it needs a new set of strings for another tonal variation.

I like Lobster's reviews in general, but don't take his opinion as gospel, just another datapoint amongst many. @BigBoar, please go try one and see what you think first. If there isn't one available locally, the SR necks and bodies are very consistent in shape and feel so a similar model in a higher or lower model will give you a good idea what it will feel like in your hands ergonomically, so if you like say a 600, then a 300 will feel very similar.

Note, I'm a bit of a Soundgear fanboy as I have a 4, 2 5s and 4 6s, so likewise take what I say with a grain of salt. My hope is that you like like the 300, but if a Fender or other brand works better for you, that you get that and simply enjoy playing bass.

PS: as you're a beginner, don't worry AT ALL about tone as your palette will develop over time and change with the years as you get exposed to more basses and how they're used in various genres and mixes. Right now, you need to focus on technique and learning how to play. Avoid tonal cork sniffing at all costs as it's a distracting path to hell.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much. I watched Lobsters review and it nearly put me off but having done much more research found most people giving good reviews. So I have purchased an SR300 in candy apple red.  It feels nice to me and plays nicely. I didn't want to spend a fortune on something that might never get used but also didn't want to buy a lemon that held me back. My brother, Rob Palmer had mentioned the Ibanez so I've gone with that. Thanks all for your help.

Jon.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BigBoar said:

I have purchased an SR300 in candy apple red.  It feels nice to me and plays nicely...

You need to make a NBD Post with a pic - them are the rules..

Here is my SR300CARM J project

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Haha 1