Why become a member? ×

9v PP3 Battery - Best Options

Lastest brands and Flavours, rename - Pro, Ultra, Xtra etc. Commercial and Industrial OE types... What's best, still Alkaline Duracell 'Something' and where from best for a box of 10? Ever-Wary of Snides on the 'bay.

Don't really wan't to go Re-chargeable PP3 as initial out lay and low frequency of use, but half looking at a Joyo ZGPW Conditioner and 5v to 9v Converter (400mA) and a USB Power Bank as a rechargeable option, would this be a wise Investment? What about Usable-Use Time and Re-Charge Decline of the Power Bank

Wan't to be able to use the boards anywhere and don't want to be tied to a wall-wart or the mains.

New Mini Board of Joyo Tuner: 30mA, 
Wah: 1mA and BDI: 25mA = 50mA

20240309_210227.thumb.jpg.5ae881b523bc4ca0851b9ea6195b2f53.jpg

A quality PP3 battery should last a while in each these 3... Yes?

Also my JOYO IRONMAN Case of
Tuner: 25mA, Chorus: 25mA, Delay: 40mA, Phaser: 20mA, Orange: 25mA = 150mA

20240129_194436.thumb.jpg.9496995a16119fda8f5f1d3bf177d0c1.jpg

Fitted with a 5 Way Daisy... so thinking of 2x PP3 in Parallel under the case base.

How long would PP3 Batteries 'Usably' last in both the above scenarios... 2hrs, 5hrs, 10hrs? All pedals look Low consumption to me... and realistically with the Ironman case, It would only be 3 ON at any one time so more like 100mA.

Thoughts?

Edited by PaulThePlug

Thing with putting batteries in pedals that are on boards is that they drain current as soon as there is a jack in the input. If you don't unplug the lead from the input jack then it will drain the battery in a matter of hours even though you're not playing through it, whether they're switched on or not.

Having to unplug each individual pedal after a gig kind of negates having a board in the first place.  

I've heard of people using USB power cells with a booster to give 9vDC, but haven't used one myself.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

2 on the Small Board, just enough room to slide the Wah Input jack out enough to disconnect, and easy access atop the BeadyEye... PowerBank i'd have to Daisy Chain them... and easy enough on the Joyo IronMan case as disconnect the Daisy Chain connector on top...

Home 'Malarkey' only, occasional Open Mic or School Concert type Outing by my Son.

Edited by PaulThePlug

21 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Home 'Malarkey' only, occasional Open Mic or School Concert type Outing by my Son.

I am not seeing anywhere it isn't a stone's throw from mains power. Learn how to wrap a cable so it comes out straight instead of a birds nest.

On 11/03/2024 at 23:43, paul_5 said:

I've heard of people using USB power cells with a booster to give 9vDC, but haven't used one myself.

I'm planning to have a go using USB PD Powerbanks with cables to request 9V / 15V. Voltage outputs seem fine.

Not yet tried on pedals simply because I need to build polarity adaptors to go from the standard Centre Positive output to Centre Negative for pedals.

On 13/03/2024 at 15:47, rmorris said:

I'm planning to have a go using USB PD Powerbanks with cables to request 9V / 15V. Voltage outputs seem fine.

Not yet tried on pedals simply because I need to build polarity adaptors to go from the standard Centre Positive output to Centre Negative for pedals.

You could just get the bare board USB PD decoys and solder the leads to them the right way round. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335286849794 for a few to experiment with.

After a 9v PP3 failed while on stage, I rebuilt my pedal board with a lithium battery from a power drill. A full charge lasts maybe 100 hours. It took a bit of time to match batteries with power distribution and connections but has proved very reliable.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, tauzero said:

You could just get the bare board USB PD decoys and solder the leads to them the right way round. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335286849794 for a few to experiment with.

Yes. I looked at those type of boards. But given the need to put them in some enclosure etc I opted to go with cable only solution for space and convenience. I have a few bits that take centre positive power anyway do good to have the option.

I have powered a pedalboard tuner plus TC Electronics successfully from a 7800mah powerbank using a 5v to 9v converter cable from MyVolts. Lasted a pretty long time (at least 8+ 45 minute practice sessions before needing to recharge).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, naxos10 said:

I have powered a pedalboard tuner plus TC Electronics successfully from a 7800mah powerbank using a 5v to 9v converter cable from MyVolts. Lasted a pretty long time (at least 8+ 45 minute practice sessions before needing to recharge).

Was that on a "daisy chain" or some multi cable/ breakout box arrangement ?