Why become a member? ×

Can somebody explain DI Recording to a dummy?

Hi guys, I record my bass covers in the old fashioned way with my bass into an amp and the song through an external speaker.

I've heard of the terms Direct Interface and 'DAW' I think it is. But for the life of me I cannot work out how all that works (I'm so incompetent when it comes to technology).

Other people get perfect recording sound by plugging their bass into a DI so you can hear the bass and song perfectly.

Could somebody explain to me in the most simple layman terms possible how it works? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Someone will probably explain it better ; DI ( Direct input )  is where you have a cable going from your amp ( if it has a DI socket) into an audio mixer. 
Some multi effects units have a DI socket , which means that in theory you could plug the cable from your multi effects unit into the audio mixer directly without bringing your amp to gigs / rehearsals . Also, if you did use the multi effects unit , there is a button on the unit giving you the option of ' straight bass ' without effects if you prefer. 

DAW , is digital audio workstation . This is a device where you plug your instrument into it which allows you to record onto your computer 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Please someone correct me if any of this is wrong as I am fairly new to that myself. Daw is a software that you install in your computer. It can read the signal coming from musical instruments/microphones, and record it. In order for this signal to reach the software, the sound from your instrument should be converted into a digital signal. For this, you buy an Audio Interface. It is essentially a box, connected to the computer, where you plug the bass or other stuff in and does does the conversion. A DI to my understanding is used to send the signal from a bass to a mixer, if you want to go through that.

A highly reccommended not super expensive AI is the Scarlett Focusrite, which gives you also free access to a basic version fo DAW software Ableton.

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 4

Not sure what the question is.

A DI takes the raw bass signal and converts it to match the impedance of the mixing console.

For recording it is handy to record that if you have preamp and fx plugins. You can mess with the clean raw track all day. You always have the original to go back and have another go.

Recording a preamped signal means you are stuck with that version as your basis.

• Like 1

If you want to use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), you'll (generally) need an Audio Interface.

An audio interface is a bit of hardware you plug into your computer, usually using a USB cable. It converts your analogue signal into a digital one, ready to be processed by the computer. These generally have an instrument level input on them, so you don't need a dedicated DI, especially if you want to keep it simple. 

Within the DAW, you can then add plugins (digital effects) to your signal and process it should you feel the need. You can get amp simulations, compressors and all sorts, like you'd find on a multi effects pedal. 

in the DAW, you can also have the song you want to play along to on a separate track, so you can play along to it within the same piece of software. 

• Like 1

I have just recently started getting into home recording.

All i can currently do is get a signal into my computer and record it. I can add a drum or backing track, but thats my limit so far. 

I use it to record my bass parts so i dont have to travel to our studio to record. I also use it to annoy basschat members with effects noodling!

As above, my setup is a focusrite into ableton lite. Ableton lite comes wtih focusrite.

So the focusrite is my interface and ableton is my DAW.

I have many DI options, but in this pic im using the DI out of my ampeg pf20t. This is particularly nice because you can run it without a speaker load.

So here you can see amp DI out into focusrite scarlett using XLR cable, then the focusrite is connected via USB to my laptop where ableton is installed.

20240309_100113.thumb.jpg.95a17f3bec48a7ac98d309f563feea00.jpg

I also recently got a two-notes opus so i can do DI recording with many different preamp/poweramp/cab combos. It's pretty amazing, but not necessary to get started. 

I can plug directly into this and it will connect using XLR to my focusrite. Supercool and compact recording setup

It looks complicated, but it couldnt be easier.

This also allows me to get the sound i want before i record. I prefer it because im useless with ableton. My producer can do what he wants EQ wise once he has the tracks 

20240203_171403.thumb.jpg.e65dbacaf4a19ca69f9765613ade340f.jpg

Screenshot_20240303_141549_TorpedoWirelessRemote.thumb.jpg.8fe3792ac9eaae3f23b0d324e8b780a0.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_213004_TorpedoWirelessRemote.thumb.jpg.27db51bd449570b9bfc4e5ab38d48ea3.jpg

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 3

Recording directly is essentially juat a blanket term for recording without going through speaker and mic set up.  

DI boxes do quite a specific job but for your purposes getting your bass signal directly into your recording equipment (your computer) is all that it means.

This can be from your bass lead directly, through a pre, through your amps pre amp out put, effects etc..  all with various results!

To get the audio In to your computer you really need an audio interface. This dies multiples jobs but most importantly it changes your bass signal which is analogue into a digital signal so you can hear it and see it on your computer.

The daw is also just the software used to record and control your recordings. 

If you have a Computer, get yourself an audio interface, and a daw ( there's plenty free ones) and although it might be a bit of a kerning curve, the basics are quite easy once you get to grips!

• Like 1

Two things here…

DI (direct inject) is where you electronically match a high impedance unbalanced signal (typically your guitar) to a low impedance balanced signal so you can plug it into the mic input on a mixing desk or interface. 
Put simply it’s a box where you plug in your jack lead and the output is an xlr mic lead. Used for live to get it to the desk or in the studio. The reason; if you plug high impedance (your guitar if it doesn’t have fancy electronics built in) into low impedance all the top end drops out. Also a good way of tapping into your signal at a gig or when recording. 
DAW is something different and is just your software / hardware interface for recording. Your interface to the daw will take your analogue signal and turn it into digital so the software can process it. Quite often you’ll use a DI box to get your guitar signal connected to the interface (especially if it doesn’t have a high z input. 

The simple explanation I can offer is that you can do a research on You Tube (some good some misleading tutorials). 

I started recording when I joined BC and since I've learnt a tiny if information.

Before you buy anything make sure your PC, laptop, I pad or whatever you use, the operating system is compatible with the audio interface. 

What I did, a basic starting point.: I bought an audio interface " Focusrite Scarlett 2i2". It has two inputs. This came with a free DAW, Ableton live. Most interfaces you buy will come with a free DAW. 

You plug the Focusrite Scarlett to your PC via USB, use the instructions  to download package and set it up. ( It comes with a code etc).

Next step is to download your DAW to your PC/ laptop or whatever you use , then when you open the DAW you set up the preferences, audio in/out. I found the set up the most frustrating part but there are plenty of tutorial videos online. 

Once it's all set up and your audio interface is connected . You plug an instrument into the interface audio and begin a new frustrating process of learning how to record etc. You will get there eventually.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SH73 said:

The simple explanation I can offer is that you can do a research on You Tube (some good some misleading tutorials). 

I started recording when I joined BC and since I've learnt a tiny if information.

Before you buy anything make sure your PC, laptop, I pad or whatever you use, the operating system is compatible with the audio interface. 

What I did, a basic starting point.: I bought an audio interface " Focusrite Scarlett 2i2". It has two inputs. This came with a free DAW, Ableton live. Most interfaces you buy will come with a free DAW. 

You plug the Focusrite Scarlett to your PC via USB, use the instructions  to download package and set it up. ( It comes with a code etc).

Next step is to download your DAW to your PC/ laptop or whatever you use , then when you open the DAW you set up the preferences, audio in/out. I found the set up the most frustrating part but there are plenty of tutorial videos online. 

Once it's all set up and your audio interface is connected . You plug an instrument into the interface audio and begin a new frustrating process of learning how to record etc. You will get there eventually.

Also, when you register your ableton, they have a setup process with demos that will at least show you how to get sound in. 

14 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Also, when you register your ableton, they have a setup process with demos that will at least show you how to get sound in. 

That's correct I also used their You Tube, demos initially. I have tried different free versions of DAW but couldn't get on with them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SH73 said:

That's correct I also used their You Tube, demos initially. I have tried different free versions of DAW but couldn't get on with them.

People seem to really like Reaper but it's interface is confusing to me.

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Lots of good recommendations and advice on what to get but bear in mind the OP asked ‘how’ it all works not ‘what’ to get! 

I put a picture!

On 09/03/2024 at 09:03, MikeTheMisfit said:

People get perfect recording sound by plugging their bass into a DI so you can hear the bass and song perfectly.

Could somebody explain in the most simple terms possible how it works?

This hasn't yet happened. 

On 09/03/2024 at 09:03, MikeTheMisfit said:

Hi guys, I record my bass covers in the old fashioned way with my bass into an amp and the song through an external speaker.

I've heard of the terms Direct Interface and 'DAW' I think it is. But for the life of me I cannot work out how all that works (I'm so incompetent when it comes to technology).

Other people get perfect recording sound by plugging their bass into a DI so you can hear the bass and song perfectly.

Could somebody explain to me in the most simple layman terms possible how it works? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

I can do simple :)

DI is actually Direct Injection. It is just a way of getting the cleanest possible signal to your mixer whether that is on stage or in the recording studio. Your microphone, amp and speaker all colour your tone (hopefully in a good way) and your guitar lead probably adds in a few crackles a bit of background noise and even maybe some radio pickup. Your amp also probably adds in a little bit of hum and some noise of its own. Any sound engineer wants to start with the cleanest sound possible and they can add in any colouring they want later. Microphone leads are noise cancelling so plugging the shortest possible guitar lead into a DI box means a clean sound from then on. Some amps have a DI box built in.

An interface is just a way of converting the sound in your lead into something a computer can understand: analogue to digital. You'll see terms like A/D converter and so on, it's all the same thing. Fortunately almost all interfaces have a DI built in so you can plug your guitar lead straight into them without needing an amp or a DI box. Some mixing desks have an interface built in, I've got a really old Alesis four channel mixer and it has a USB port so if you have a USB port on your mixer try plugging it in and see what it does. If not you have to buy an interface like the ones suggested

DAW is Digital Audio Workstation. It's basically an App or computer program that turns your computer into a recorder and a mixing desk. There are loads of them out there ranging from simple to really complex. Plenty of them are free and really good but for a few hundred pounds you cn have more power at home than the best recording studios could dream of even just a few years back. There are even apps that will process everything for you online so if your computer is old and slow you can still mix tracks down Soundtrap is one I used during the lockdown to work with friends when we couldn't meet. They've never shut down my months free trial  :)

If you do go down this route then it's worth knowing that one trick is to record from your amp and through a DI at the same time and then you can mix the two signals and have a mix of clean and dirty sounds.

Hope that helps

Plenty of excellent replies here. I can highly recommend the Focusrite Scarlett range of interfaces - I'm using a 3rd generation 2i2 and it does everything I need it to do. You can either plug your instrument straight into it using your usual instrument cable, or if you want the specific sound from your amp you can DI that into it. 

There are plenty of DAW packages out there, but a couple of good free ones are Cakewalk by Bandlab and Audacity. The latter is pretty simple but does the job, especially if all of your amp and effects are in front of the interface, but if you want to experiment with different tones then you could use Cakewalk and install VST plugins, which emulate different effects, amps, speakers, etc.

Instead of plugging your bass into an amplifier, you plug your bass DIRECTLY into your computer. 

Then your computer can act as an amplifier and also record the sound at the same time. 

You need software to record the sound onto your hard drive. And a box to 'Interface' between your bass and your computer. 

There's about a million pieces of hardware and software depending on budget.

At the most basic level your bass can plug into the MIC-in on your computer but the results won't be stellar. 

• Like 1