Why become a member? ×

Eyes on a Spector

kungfuzulu

Hi everyone ,

I've been looking at getting a Spector recently after playing a gorgeous Euro LT in a store, but at £2.5k its a tad outside my reach.  My band is on the heavier side of rock and I think a P/J configured Spector would be a good addition to the tool box probably relegating my Nate Mendal P bass as a back up etc.

I've seen a couple of less expensive models online, the Eurobolt 4 and the NS Pulse ii, but there's none near me to try out..  does anyone know if there's a big difference between the two? Ones Korean and ones Czech I think so is it like a US vs Mex fender?... Also how would either of these compare to an LT or LX model? 

Cheers 

I’ve owned both Czech & Korean made and I’d say there was little to choose between them. The Korean ones are made in a factory set up by Stuart and as far as I know still only make Spectors (unless the recent sale of the company has brought about changes).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’ve owned both Czech & Korean made and I’d say there was little to choose between them. The Korean ones are made in a factory set up by Stuart and as far as I know still only make Spectors (unless the recent sale of the company has brought about changes).

Brill thanks bud.. 

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have a neck thru Euro 4 string with PJ EMGs; one of the nicest basses I've ever had and I used it for hard rock/metal. I've currently got a bolt on Rebop which I've put Nordstrand Soapbars in, that's great too. Very versatile instruments.

Edited by AJC23

I'm fortunate enough to have a Euro and a Korea, both of which are fantastic. Whilst I've never been in a metal band I am a metalhead in my personal life. From my two I'd go for the Pulse. Sounds amazing and certainly looks the part. 

PXL_20240103_171019260.MP.jpg

• Like 3

Since buying my Euro Bolt I never pick up my other basses, it's that good.

In the past I've owned a Korean Legend Custom and Classic and a Q4, but the Euro is way ahead of those. The current Korean models look to have caught up with the Euros but are much more expensive than the older ones.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack said:

I'm fortunate enough to have a Euro and a Korea, both of which are fantastic. Whilst I've never been in a metal band I am a metalhead in my personal life. From my two I'd go for the Pulse. Sounds amazing and certainly looks the part. 

@Jack I've always had a soft spot for the MM style one. How do you find it? What is the neck profile like? Cheers, Adam.

14 hours ago, Jack said:

I love the look of purple Pulse. I'd have one in a heartbeat if the funds allowed!

59 minutes ago, AJC23 said:

@Jack I've always had a soft spot for the MM style one. How do you find it? What is the neck profile like? Cheers, Adam.

Honestly in terms of fit, finish and general quality it's one of the nicest basses I've had. Lovely thing. The neck is narrow/average across the width but quite deep front to back, which is exactly what I like. Honestly though the sound is a bit of a let down. The pickup is too close to the bridge (and I've got two Stingrays and a g&l with bridge humbuckers so this is normally something that I like) but I find that if you rest your thumb there it's too weedy. I'm trying to learn floating thumb but I'll probably buy a thumb rest as the sound is perfect if you pick closer to the neck. 

6 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I love the look of purple Pulse. I'd have one in a heartbeat if the funds allowed!

Thanks man, they're lovely up close. With steel strings, active emgs and that finish it's the ideal bass for my hard/party rock band. I don't get to play it much in the indie band... 

• Like 1

Cheers @Jack by the sounds of what you've described, it wouldn't be my thing. Prefer a thinner neck front to back! Have you considered upgrading the pickup/electronics? Or is it simply a pickup placement issue? I saw someone mod one before where they added a soapbar nearer the neck.

Grab a Pulse II.... it has a gorgeous neck, great build quality, active EMGs and looks to die for. The 'Tonepump Jr' preamp is fine but you can get a richer tone by then upgrading to the full 'Tonepump' or a Haz copy LHZ03 Preamp.

I own everything from custom US Spectors to almost entry-level ones and the Pulse II is imho the best value for money Spector you can buy...

• Like 2

On 06/04/2024 at 17:41, AJC23 said:

Cheers @Jack by the sounds of what you've described, it wouldn't be my thing. Prefer a thinner neck front to back! Have you considered upgrading the pickup/electronics? Or is it simply a pickup placement issue? I saw someone mod one before where they added a soapbar nearer the neck.

The modded one may have actually been the one that is now mine? There aren't too many about and mine has a distinctive blank bit in the grain next to the lower horn. I have owned this bass twice (once with an extra pickup and once without) but I'm neither the person who added it or removed it. It was a better thumb rest, but I hated the look. I'm thinking about getting a thumb rest printed to go from the pickup along to the neck.

PXL_20220722_105851444.thumb.jpg.6aa5dc77959741a55af4e33d3e5bd7db.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2024 at 15:02, cetera said:

Grab a Pulse II.... it has a gorgeous neck, great build quality, active EMGs and looks to die for. The 'Tonepump Jr' preamp is fine but you can get a richer tone by then upgrading to the full 'Tonepump' or a Haz copy LHZ03 Preamp.

I own everything from custom US Spectors to almost entry-level ones and the Pulse II is imho the best value for money Spector you can buy...

Any idea where you can find a tonepump? I’ve got the non trimpot in my rebop and can’t find the trimpot version anywhere