Why become a member? ×

Fixing a Gouge in a Bass.

Some idiot dug a gouge about 150 x 10mm long into a Hohner Jack bass that goes way below the finish and well into the wood. Any advice on the best filler and best way to refinish it? I would prefer not to have to strip the finish off completely.

Odd question.

Fill it. Sand it. Repaint with 'matching' paint.

What am I missing? Probably not going to match 100% and look worse than the 'mojo' scrape?

There is a technique of using dilute paint and a sponge to apply it. I am not too familiar but basically lots and lots of coats until the gap is filled back to flush, wiping away the paint that overlays the body each pass. If you do it right, no sanding.

• Like 1

Which Idiot and how? But...

Natural Finish... Wax/Oil/Lacquer to seal and Play On

Painted... Nail Varnish and Play On

It's an Ărse, but don't let it fry-ya-mind or disappoint, Carry on enjoying what you have.

Edited by PaulThePlug

On 23/02/2024 at 14:21, Chienmortbb said:

Some idiot dug a gouge about 150 x 10mm long into a Hohner Jack bass that goes way below the finish and well into the wood. Any advice on the best filler and best way to refinish it? I would prefer not to have to strip the finish off completely.

Natural finish with some sort of lacquer finish, like the B2s? ISTR someone mixing brown paint and superglue to match the colour and filling the damaged bit with that. Ah, this may help:

• Sad 1

I'm not sure that my experience will help, other that telling you to go a different route.

I used a water-based tint to change the wood colour, followed by several applications of transparent glue that turned out to be water soluble,  and then peeled off, followed by several applications of superglue, which didn't stay put on the corner as it dried.

I got it moisture- and dirt-proofed and stopped there.

Looking at it now, it appears that the superglue is not sticking to the original finish.

If you are planning to use an impermeable filler, a water-based stain may not work for you, and a dedicated product like Gluboost might give you better adhesion than superglue.

David

20240226_142730.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

?.. has it had some sort of Synth pickup fitted?.

Me? I'd see about getting someone to run a router bit, the width and depth of the damage... best tidy-up.

Then maybe a bit of scratch plate material or simply mask-up and just a pass or two of paint... 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1