Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a compressor

Vin Venal

Compression works on - and benefits - all playing styles when dialled in correctly. And the risk of sounding like a broken record you really need to understand how compression works, what each parameter does and how they interact with one another to apply them properly. It's more of a feel thing than an obvious tonal change, but when done right brings your bass line to life. It's very easy to get compression wrong if you don't know what you're doing which leads to the same old arguments against using it. Do some homework on the subject and it'll start making total sense, so much so that you'll wonder how you ever got by without it!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Compression works on - and benefits - all playing styles when dialled in correctly. And the risk of sounding like a broken record you really need to understand how compression works, what each parameter does and how they interact with one another to apply them properly. It's more of a feel thing than an obvious tonal change, but when done right brings your bass line to life. It's very easy to get compression wrong if you don't know what you're doing which leads to the same old arguments against using it. Do some homework on the subject and it'll start making total sense, so much so that you'll wonder how you ever got by without it!

Yes I appreciate the understandings and getting it right but playing live as a bass player I question the real benefit that a fingerstyle player in a loud rock band would hear / feel.

Granted it’s crucial in recorded music and studios and PA rigs but I still say it’s debatable for a basic gigging band if it’s really necessary ( I would stand corrected if there was real evidence to the contrary) but for players who have decent technique and dynamics I still ask is it really worth it ? 

• Like 1

The best reason for getting a compressor is to stop the sound engineer sticking their own on your channel and squishing you out of existence. Generally if you show them you have one, and they are not getting crazy peaks at the board, they will leave you alone.

I use the Keeley compressor pro set to "auto on" so I don't have to worry about attack or release, but can monitor the peaks on the LED strip. Ratio less than 4:1 and both threshold & gain according to volume and peaks, and then no need to touch it further!

Edited by SimonK

20 minutes ago, SimonK said:

The best reason for getting a compressor is to stop the sound engineer sticking their own on your channel and squishing you out of existence. Generally if you show them you have one, and they are not getting crazy peaks at the board, they will leave you alone.

I use the Keeley compressor pro set to "auto on" so I don't have to worry about attack or release, but can monitor the peaks on the LED strip. Ratio less than 4:1 and both threshold & gain according to volume and peaks, and then no need to touch it further!

And for bands that play small venues and no sound engineer ?

Again I see no evidence a compressor is needed in a typical pub band scenario! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Compression's an effect, and if you approach effects from a position of being "needed", it gets a bit silly. Why do I need tremolo, when I could just twiddle my volume control up and down while I'm playing? Why do I need reverb, when I could just perform all my gigs in a cathedral? Why do I need EQ, when I could just throw a blanket over the speaker? And so on

• Like 1

@MartinB: compression can be used as an effect, true. I still think that not all units are plain effects only. A slight amount of reverb makes distortion sound fuller, and it is not the same as playing in a cathedral.

With a powerful EQ and a good touch a fretted bass with roundwounds still doesn't sound like a double bass. I would like (if I could) to draw a line between fx (delay, flanger, envelope...) and sound modifiers (eq, comp...), but nearly every unit has the other side: a comp can act like a limiter, or it can flatten those fingering related volume changes. Ever heard about "ducking"?

If a player feels, or really can, tame all faults a player like me makes, I am fine. No one needs to use any extra unit. Personally I found out that those tiny boxes opened some new areas I really didn't know about. Looper is one very frustrating effect, and a very effective unit while learning new songs (albeit the results may be frustrating, too).

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

And for bands that play small venues and no sound engineer ?

Again I see no evidence a compressor is needed in a typical pub band scenario! 

I agree if you have good control over the dynamics of your playing and don't mind the occasional bum note really sticking out: that moment where you see someone in the front row cringe because you decide to randomly pop your G string and it comes through somewhat louder than you intended!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SimonK said:

I agree if you have good control over the dynamics of your playing and don't mind the occasional bum note really sticking out: that moment where you see someone in the front row cringe because you decide to randomly pop your G string and it comes through somewhat louder than you intended!

I don’t slap or pop so no need for any worry about notes sticking out !! 
I do fully appreciate for certain times and techniques it has a valuable use but I’m still not sure I personally would gain anything using one. 

Edited by BassAdder60

3 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Yes I appreciate the understandings and getting it right but playing live as a bass player I question the real benefit that a fingerstyle player in a loud rock band would hear / feel.

Granted it’s crucial in recorded music and studios and PA rigs but I still say it’s debatable for a basic gigging band if it’s really necessary ( I would stand corrected if there was real evidence to the contrary) but for players who have decent technique and dynamics I still ask is it really worth it ? 

If you don't want to use one, don't. Nobody is forcing you to. But I'm also a working bass player and gig regularly and always use one, my bass sound is more controlled and sits in the mix better because of what my compressor is doing. Plus I still have total control over my dynamics, the idea that compression destroys dynamics is a myth that refuses to die... It's worth it to me but if you see no benefit then don't bother. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

If you don't want to use one, don't. Nobody is forcing you to. But I'm also a working bass player and gig regularly and always use one, my bass sound is more controlled and sits in the mix better because of what my compressor is doing. Plus I still have total control over my dynamics, the idea that compression destroys dynamics is a myth that refuses to die... It's worth it to me but if you see no benefit then don't bother. 

Indeed we both agree and find different needs for one or not in my case as I get minor compression from different sources ie All Valve Amp and drive pedal. 

There is no right or wrong if it works for each and one of us 

When playing at home I always have my compressor - Zoom MS60B set to the 160 Comp - as it really evens things out and is especially good for helping me on new material.

But try as much as I can I can never get one to work for me live. I suppose I need someone to show me the right settings when I’m playing then to nail them into place so I can’t ruin them and mess them up.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2024 at 21:01, Vin Venal said:

Only thing that worries me bout the spectra comp is the app based stuff, like will it need updates, will I need to plug it into my phone to make it sound good, cuz I can't be arsed with that stuff.

The Spectracomp is spot on! I hate apps and multi effects as I get lost on them, but the toneprint app is dead easy to use and just works. Plus you get a load of expertly put together comps to try out so it's not a one trick pony. My fav is the Captain East toneprint which is a tri band comp which seems to just make the bass sound better and you only have one knob to tweek. 

I got quite a few comp pedals, some of them quite expensive but I still think the Spectracomp is the best sounding. 

I went for the EBS MultiComp Blue label for a few reasons - it looks pretty simple, it's got decent reviews and there was one on the electronic bay at a decent ish price.

After an entirely unscientific half hour muck about at bedroom levels, I think it sounds pretty good.

Very much trial and error, but Sens and Comp set at 12 o'clock seems to give a nice, natural sounding compression and of the three modes, Tubesim sounded the best to my ears.

It seems like you'd have to really try to get a 'bad' sound of it.

I'll no doubt fiddle with it as I go along and ask the keys player/sound engineer/boss for his input at the next few gigs, but for a simple, decent sounding compressor... I'm happy with it.

On 19/02/2024 at 13:44, BassAdder60 said:

I’m going back on to a pick so adding a compressor very soon ! 

19 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

The choice for using a compressor and which type has NOTHING to do with a player having decent technique and dynamics where do you people get this BS It is not some sort of skill fixing box.

I don’t think it’s been said it’s for fixing skill but improving the final sound which a compressor can do with certain styles that technique or lack of it would make any difference either way ! 😉🤣

Edited by BassAdder60

On 14/02/2024 at 14:36, Vin Venal said:

Preferably not a bass specific pedal, cuz I have an aversion to that.

Vibes 

Going for a bass specific compressor for bass guitar is probably wise. Often, the circuitry is better equipped to deal with the kind of transients (and of course frequencies) that bass guitars deal out. That said, I've tried the odd guitar pedal with a blend on it and it was useful in certain situations. 

• Like 1