Why become a member? ×

Band Diary

bertbass

I've seen this mentioned before but I can't find it.  My question is, we need a band diary that can be accessed and edited by each band member.  The problem is, iphones, android phones, Mac os and windows. Band members who won't use facebook because they don't want the government to know where they are.  Other member who will only use their phones. I think you get the picture.  Personally, I like a little book like thing with pages with dates on each page, it's called a diary but the aim is to go digital.  Any ideas for a digital, cross platform diary.

All help / advise gratefully accepted.

It was a few years back, but we used to use Teamup. Works as an app or in a browser, and you can give people private links if they don't want to create an account.
Of course, technology can't solve the problem of people failing to keep the calendar updated 😉

We've been using a shared gmail calendar for a few years. There's pro and cons really. It's free and easy to access on any device regardless of platform and other users don't have to sell their soul to use it. And you get a shared email account for band booking that you can all access. But, security settings can sometimes cause issues signing in. You need to turn off 2-factor authentication etc for others to sign in if they're not near the admin at the time. Even with this turned off I've still had messages asking me to check the code on somebody else's phone, and I'm the admin!

The other issue is if some of the users are a little technically challenged, it's easy for the google account to get polluted with everybody else's crap, such as notes, or map information. Or as one of my colleagues, not realise they were sending emails from the band accounts.

I'm also forever nagging people to ensure the shared calendar is up to date, when we get a booking request. It's frequently met with a response of "what's the login?".

So...

We've been using BandHelper for set lists and lyrics etc for a number of years. Literally yesterday I took the plunge and upgraded to the "plus" level account that includes scheduling. It's going to take some time for everyone to get used to it, but I think it's going to be worth it. All users are able to mark their unavailability in the built-in calendar, such as holidays. And if one of us is dealing with a venue we can setup an event which will automatically notify all band members and prompt them to confirm whether they are available or not. Worth its weight in gold.

• Like 2

I've used wheresthegig which was great until they started charging lots of money for it, and bandmule which isn't quite as good at gigs but is easy to mark availability/non-availabilty.

Sadly none of these comes with the 400V-to-the-goolies attachment required to make drummers fill their availability in 😞

• Like 1

It's a nice idea. But ultimately you still need to ask people before you book in case they or their significant other hasn't put something in their diary.

We have 2 WhatsApp groups. One for general chatter and one for gigs. Organise gigs and tunes etc in the general chatter and transfer to the gig chat when confirmed. 

One person regularly asks for dates people are busy and gets all the gigs. This doesn't 

Delete conversations in the gig group regularly.