Why become a member? ×

Basses for sale area.

NancyJohnson

Question

Given the amount of Precisions, Jazzes and Fenderesque basses in the sale area, is it time to consider splitting the bass area into two areas; all 'Fender style' and everything else?

Likewise amplifiers.  Split into heads, enclosures, everything else (combos, rigs).

10 answers to this question

Just now, wateroftyne said:

IMO no. The fewer silos the better.

I like looking at photos of basses as much as the next person; I did a quick count a few days ago and the ratio of basses was something like 7:1 in favour of Fender shapes.

You're a Precision-lad; you can get a fix of all those one trick ponies in their own area!  😘

Personally, I feel it would be massively messy and confusing.  It only takes a split second to scroll past the ones I am not interested in, something I don't find intrudes into my day too much.  And what of the basses that have Fender type pickups but aren't Fender shaped?  Leave as is, I reckon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I like looking at photos of basses as much as the next person; I did a quick count a few days ago and the ratio of basses was something like 7:1 in favour of Fender shapes.

You're a Precision-lad; you can get a fix of all those one trick ponies in their own area!  😘

True, but if there was a P forum, all I'd ever look at is P's, and I might miss something non-P that tickles my fancy.

Keep them all together. It's not hard to scroll past, or search. 😘

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

I totally get the OPs point - and if you're not in the market for one then scrolling past a few things to see something you might be interested in can be annoying.

But conversely, you can see/read some pretty cool stories about basses from time to time even ones I have zero intention of buying. So I'd leave it as is.

At the risk of provoking another series of allegations about elitism and snobbery, I'd be in favour of a split between 4-strings and 5+ strings. Alternatively, some means of categorising and filtering like Bass Direct/BassBros/Bass Gallery have on their websites - number of strings, fretted/fretless, brand, etc.

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

At the risk of provoking another series of allegations about elitism and snobbery, I'd be in favour of a split between 4-strings and 5+ strings. Alternatively, some means of categorising and filtering like Bass Direct/BassBros/Bass Gallery have on their websites - number of strings, fretted/fretless, brand, etc.

Yes if it can be done by tagging & filtering, but (IMO) no if it means separate forums for each.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yes if it can be done by tagging & filtering, but (IMO) no if it means separate forums for each.

Tagging would be great if everybody did it, or even if 50% of people did it. It's more like 5%. Auto-generation of tags would be brilliant but, I suspect, unlikely.

• Like 1