Why become a member? ×

Fender bass bodies / Peculiar neck pocket routing?

Hi guys, 

So I ordered a Fender player series p bass body (eBay) listed as brand new and unused… which is going to be returned as there is a dent above the neck pocket and a paint / wood chip off the lower section, but what’s really got me puzzled is the neck pocket route? It looks like it’s been over shot on both sides? But then it’s been painted and I’m sure QC’d and packed off. Is this the norm for Fender now? I know the pickguard covers it all but… I don’t get it it just looks wrong.

The paint job isn’t brilliant either thick gloopy looking paint around the horn inners!? 

bad times. 

IMG_5931.thumb.jpeg.601696e829ffa03558bbe3ed03f81822.jpeg

IMG_5929.thumb.jpeg.d6de451110ce19fc6a633c0437d16f02.jpeg

IMG_5924.thumb.jpeg.e4b4bc14daffba81f46bde81364052b0.jpeg

IMG_5923.thumb.jpeg.27d3e2274e32959d2fb5ee841a68451e.jpeg

• Confused 1

Oh is that what that is!? I thought it was some kind of weird switch mounting hole or something!

that’s what I don’t get i doubt the routing is done by hand, in fact I’m sure they wouldn’t, but why do that shape? 

13 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

but what’s really got me puzzled is the neck pocket route? It looks like it’s been over shot on both sides? But then it’s been painted and I’m sure QC’d and packed off.

IMG_5929.thumb.jpeg.d6de451110ce19fc6a633c0437d16f02.jpeg

Weird how those "overshoots" have been lacquered, whereas the rest of the neck pocket has been routed after the body was finished! You'd expect the neck pocket to be ready before applying the finish, since the paint stick the body hangs on to spray and to dry is attached to the inside of the neck pocket with screws. 

16 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

Oh is that what that is!? I thought it was some kind of weird switch mounting hole or something!

that’s what I don’t get i doubt the routing is done by hand, in fact I’m sure they wouldn’t, but why do that shape? 

Yeah, I believe it's a guide for the CNC machines they use. From what I understand the number of holes is a guide to where the body was cut, where one place does one hole and another does three.