Why become a member? ×

Try different pickups?

Angel

OK, so off the bat, I'm just a hobbyist player. My number one bass a few years ago was a Fender Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton V bass that I got for a steal at the time. It was fun to play, but to be honest it was too new looking for me, I prefer more aged look instruments. I parted ways with it when Ii decided to go to 4 strings. 

Time rolled on and after years of not playing bass much (I play other instruments), I finally decided to get back into it a bit and built a 5 string. I really liked the old RH's pickup config - Jazz at the bridge and Precision in the middle area, so I thought I'd go for similar.

Anyway I got Delano pickups, basically because I liked the look of them! and also I installed a J-retro preamp.

So ...... it sounds 'OK', but to be honest I'm finding the Precision pickup a bit underwhelming. The RH bass P pickup had a lovely growl to it, and the Delano seems devoid of growl. 

Anyone else got an opinion on Delano Precision pickups? Is it worth changing to try to find my missing growl? Apparently the RH had a American Standard Alnico V split single-coil p-bass middle pickup. Maybe I should get one of those. 

First thing to do is raise the P pickup.

If that doesn't sort it there may be a problem with the pickup

Generally on a PJ bass I'd expect the P to be louder than the J because of their relative placements and because Ps ten to have higher output than Js.

• Like 1

Delano are well respected builders and there's nothing too mysterious about winding P pickups - the Fender ones will be fairly basic winds compared. If you can't get there by adjusting the pickup height plus whatever control you can get from your active EQ then I'd be surprised.

38 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Delano are well respected builders and there's nothing too mysterious about winding P pickups - the Fender ones will be fairly basic winds compared. If you can't get there by adjusting the pickup height plus whatever control you can get from your active EQ then I'd be surprised.

Well, yes, it is fairly basic technology I guess. But different choices can be made and different P pickps can sound very different from one another IMO, without necessarily being better or worse.

I am not familiar with the Delanos though I guess the brand is mostly popular for an hi-fi sound than for vintage growl? Maybe I am wrong

Still, I agree with @Cato I would look at the small things first.

- work on pickup height

-are the strings the same you were using in the old bass? This can make all the difference

-is the P pickup in your newly built bass exactly where it was (relative to the nut) in the RH bass, to the mm?

-is this lack of growl something than you feel even when you record yourself? If the acoustic sound is part of it there could be a million factors that affect it

Some Delanos can be very clear and articulate (I have them in 2 of my basses for that very reason) dependent on which model you choose. I don’t have them in my P, which are stock Squier’s and growl like crazy, to the point of being rude. It could just be you have the wrong model for your tastes. However, before running off for something else, try running them without the preamp to see if that’s detracting from the sound you’re after (just because the RH had an active circuit, doesn’t necessarily mean you should have one on this bass). I once tried an RH custom shop 5 and it was fabulous, the best thing I’d tried at around that time, both tonally and playability-wise and if I hadn’t left the shop pronto, there would have been a Fender custom shop shaped hole in my bank balance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo85 said:

Well, yes, it is fairly basic technology I guess. But different choices can be made and different P pickps can sound very different from one another IMO, without necessarily being better or worse.

Indeed, different winding wires make a difference, as does whether ceramic/Alnico/Neodymium magnets are used. 

I have the Delano P pickup in my Jake 5 (with a Delano MM in the bridge) and soloed it barks like a rottweiler if I dig in. 

As above, maybe it's the height, or possibly placement.

Kent Armstong Vintage Alnico V 5's at £67 a pop... I'd drop em a line see if they have any B stock or discount... Try 'em £100 the pair... Ha! - or Wilkinson Alnico V at half the price.

Why not adsemble a replacement bell plate with VBT loom and a Pure Tone Jack?

Got KA Vintage 4's in my J -PJ Custom Bitsa...20231120_100250.thumb.jpg.6946d52e2618df548e35129851ef1888.jpg

Aria J RHesq J-PJ Entwistles...

Jazz2.thumb.jpg.3779902ba3bcd17fed31ae814ea84a80.jpg

Need a pic if yours - dem da rules

Edited by PaulThePlug