Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge

lurksalot

A welcome return to winning ways for @Leonard Smalls in January, who in his inimitable style has offered the following for our inspiration...  

"Here's a pic for next month entitled "Root Vegetables From South East London""

image.png.46880cb2fbf74b06d2347b3ce452d7e8.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes, everyone had the chance last month's last month, so there!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 23rd (but probably until breakfast on the 24th) 

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Good luck, Have fun 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Think I've got the bones of it sorted after a couple of hours today....

Laid down bass and bagpipes already!

'Laid down' as in 'surrendered them to relevant authority along with a life-long renouncement of their use', I hope..? :/

Nah, who am I kidding..! Lennys don't change their spots. -_-

:lol: :P

• Haha 2

Hah, I had to do a Google reverse image lookup - didn't recognise the character, not seen the film. I hope to be in this time - away again next week but will hopefully have a little time to put something together between getting back and the deadline...

Here's mine!

I was tempted to defy the directive and do Putney Parsnip Dub... Then I nearly veered off north of the river to attempt Pimlico Parsnip or even Totenham Turnip Dub.

However, because I always do what I'm told, here we have a dubwise celebration of South East London's finest root vegetables.

Bass is the trusty Wal all done with first and only take, to basic rhythm track. Then more drums, percussion, melodica VST, strat and various funny noises liberally slathered in delay and FX all added later in a desperate attempt to gild the lily...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

😁

S'not EDM at all! And there's no rave horns. Even better, there's no auto tuned vocals.bor any vox for that matter!

Just plenty bass and lots of stereo FX...

Reggae, EDM, Dub ... Whatever. T'ain't Chopin. -_-

:lol: :on_the_quiet:

Here is my contribution to the February 2024 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Leonard Smalls.
"I can hear the blood beating though my ear-lobes..! A faint whistling, and birds chirping..! I thought the room was silent, but the whole house emits creaks and groans, and there's a car going by..! Wow..! Silence never sounded so loud..! Far out, man; far out..!"
Recorded using Reaper, with no mixing or treatment, so that the full benefit of the auditor's listening experience is as pure as possible. Good on headphones; better yet on a fully-spec'ed hi-fi system, so as to appreciate the Sound of Silence. Chemical enhancement is not required, nor advised; your move may vary.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy. :friends:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I though we didn't allow covers? It's a bit faster than Cage's original but otherwise virtually identical!

😁

Note the timing, though, and no piano. -_-

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Is it Withnail? I've never seen it so I just picked a root vegetable and went for it.

The technical stuff: Yamaha drums through t-bone mics into a Behringer preamp, ESP 400 Series Jazz bass DI'd and an Ibanez RG tuned down to Ab or B, I think. I've no idea why I did this, into a Fryette amp which went into a Palmer speaker emulator. Smooshed together crudely and at speed in Protools

• Like 2

I’m working on band stuff at the moment, really want to get something in for this…

is it not del preston then?

if it’s withnail and I I have no reference as I only watched it once - well, it was on when I was absolutely off my knackers about 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

if it’s withnail and I I have no reference as I only watched it once - well, it was on when I was absolutely off my knackers about 20 years ago.

That’s probably a decent enough starting point 😁.

I have a riff and a rough drum track down, but I am tight on time so …cue the communal sighs of disappointment … the vocal accompaniment might not get done.

I will of course try very, very hard to satisfy your craving for such , but don’t be afraid of voting for me if I fail.

• Like 1