Why become a member? ×

Round wound or flat round?

Bassman53

Strings dictate partially the sound of the bass. My electric upright has different strings than my electric basses.

Flatwounds: flat sound, slowish attack, short decay, can be used for years.

Groundwounds are close to flats.

Roundwounds: sound really depends on the material and age. Nickel is flatter in response than stainless steel. MMiller and MKing may change strings every three hours of playing in studio. Your wallet, or endorsemet can be different.

Fretless likes the response of nickel strings.

Very thin strings (30-90) are good for slapping, although LEJohnson used flats to slap his MM. Uprights have slap strings, as well as solo, jazz, gut, and arco sets.

If you learn a bit about gauges, you can detune your bass with similar tension. No need to adjust the truss rod. Check D'Addario's tension guide.

The bass may sound good or bad depending on the strings. I thought that thicker is better in the low end (E and B) but have found out that for my playing thinner gauges sound and feel superior. This required lots of trials and errors.

I like light touch, therefore a luthier trimmed my upright. I have fixed my own electrics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had 3 different sets of Flatwound strings on my Ibby. 
First was a set of TI Jazz flats. Great strings, but the D string snapped after about 2 1/2 years. 
I replaced them with a D’addario Chromes. They were on my bass for 10 years & but not changed them for the sake of a change. 
I now have Rotosound 77 flats & they're still a little bright & zingy for my liking (almost roundwound sounding), so I’m hoping that they wear in, or I’ll go back to the Chromes. 

Each set does sound very different & so far I’ve liked the Chromes the most. But the TI Jazz were very good too. 

The best strings for a bass depends on the bass and the sound you are after.

I've got flats on a PJ5 and the tone is always on the money. I also have flats on a "reasonably priced" Jazz bass but that's only because the rounds sounded a bit thin. Flats can beef up any bass. I also have a Jazz bass with the twangiest rounds I could find.

They all sound great.

I have flats on most of my basses, but I like different ones on each.

I have 2 Precision type shorties, one with La Bella DTF and the other with Dunlops. They have the same pickups and loom and sound very different. The DTF are a super deep thumpy sound that I really love. The Dunlops don’t go quite as deep but have a much nicer feel under the fingers.

My Ibby Mezzo basses have Dunlops. The 5 string has stock pickups, the 4 has EMG PJ-X set and a 2 band EQ.

My Sandberg TT4 jazz with EMG J set and a 3 band has Ernie Ball Group iv flats. I’ve tried all the others on this bass and keep coming back to the EB set. They are very bright when new and take an age to dull down unless I do the hand cream thing. They also feel very nice under the fingers and are really versatile. Nice and deep when played gently, nice bit of clank when digging in. 

11 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Interesting! I might have to try some.

Don’t quote me but I think they are the only synthetic core BG strings on the market. I can best describe the feel as flexible and ‘buttery’. And they are not too dull in their treble response. Be very careful when handling them, they are not delicate in the least when under tension but they are easy to damage straight out the packet. 

• Like 1

I keep fresh rounds on a couple but have flats on most. TI’s were my favourite but I’m mostly playing shortscales now and prefer a stiffer string on a smaller bass , mostly settled on LaBellas there.

Spiros on my upright.

It depends on the instrument and what you're using it for.

I like to have a mix of basses with flats and rounds at a ratio of about 2:1.

Some of those basses suit one type of string or another and that tends to dictate what type they wear, and others seem quite happy with either.  

Assuming you have enough basses to spread the love around then don't confine yourself to one type or sound.

Edited by Bassfinger

On 26/01/2024 at 15:30, Bassman53 said:

I play round wound on electric bass, just got a double bass with flat wounds , should I use same type strings on electric bass as upright, why or why not?

Personally, I'd be looking for different sounds from those different types of instrument... so I don't see a reason why the strings should be of similar construction. They're independent.