Why become a member? ×

Where next? An itch I want to scratch.

Pirellithecat

4 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

Thanks - a few I haven't tried suggested so far ..... just need to find somewhere that stocks them all (or at least a city that does)
So far versions I might be able to try/buy, are : 
Jazz Bass - I always considered these to be more "mid bass forward" so haven't tried on e for years - but everyday's a School Day so ...... 
Stingray,(might need to be a Sterling Ray34 though ???)
A Yamaha PJ .... 
Schecter
G&L L2000 
I'd like to try these so are there specific mid price examples to seek out? (Mid price = £1000 or preferably MUCH less!!)

I'm reluctant to mod the Sandberg as it's far too nice for me to mess with!!  

I have a selection of three very different Js to are welcome to come and try.  I seem to recall we are not too far apart.  I'm afraid I can't help with the others, but I do have an ACG that would, I'm sure, hit your spot.

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 13:29, Al Krow said:

Depends on the sound you're after - not sure what you currently have in your head?! 

Based purely on my own journey/experience when I moved on from my Sanderg TM4 (for the same pup reasons as @TRBboy mentioned, in my case Delanos):

• If you want more of a growl, then I'd happily recommend an Ibanez SR premium range - light, super fast neck, very decent on board EQ
  • Closer to a Sandberg VM4, then a used Yamaha BB 1024 won't break the bank and is a classy, purely passive, bass.
  • Something spectacularly good but not cheap - Spector Euro LX with EMG pick-ups or more off the beaten track Elrick.

YMMV 

Have fun!

I guess the BBP34 is the successor of the BB 1024 .... any thoughts on the difference between the 2? 

17 hours ago, ead said:

I have a selection of three very different Js to are welcome to come and try.  I seem to recall we are not too far apart.  I'm afraid I can't help with the others, but I do have an ACG that would, I'm sure, hit your spot.

Thanks for the offer EAD - I'd probably be too shy to subject you to my less than great bass techniques  ..... but you never know🙃!

Thinking about the Jazz idea, it's just dawned on me that it is something in the midrange that I don't like, so a more scooped sound , a la Jazz bass, might resolve it.   I've always stayed away from Jazz basses as I feel that the low punch is a less than the P Bass.  I guess I'm looking to retain a punchy sound, with sufficient higher frequency output to allow me to determine the notes being played, but without the mid "honk" that I object too. Is that a Jazz or would a Stingray also suffice? 
And before someone jumps in with "Why not just EQ it" , I've tried and just can't get there with either a Genzler Magellan or an Ashdown ABM 600 which have lots of tone sculpting options. This might be that I'm just a simple chap looking for a ready made tone that I don't have to fiddle with too much though.

3 minutes ago, cocco said:

I have Sandberg black label pickups in my TT4. I'd echo @TRBboys experience on a pickup change. I've found the black labels a completely different kettle of fish. Less clinical and more organic.

Yep - I have Blacklabel's in my VM4 ..... but still a bit "mid honk" for me ......  probably need an EQ tweak to my lug holes!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pirellithecat said:

I guess the BBP34 is the successor of the BB 1024 .... any thoughts on the difference between the 2? 

Nope - it's higher end than that. The BBP34 is the slightly downgraded successor version of the BB2024 - both are the premium passive models in their respective ranges. There's other predecessor models that get raved about even more...as hundreds of pages on the Yamaha thread is testimony to!

But in a nutshell:

The BB1024 is IMO one of the very best passive PJ's around, certainly at its used price point.

The P34 is a little more refined but considerably more pricey.

I've had the 5 string versions of them both (bought used). The P35 edged it just tonally for me, but was a little too heavy for my liking. So it was outlasted by my 1025. Which in tuirn found itself somewhat side-lined by the arrival of an Elrick Evo5, which is a ridiculously good bass and which I was fortunate to be able to pick up for a good price from a fellow BC'er and pretty quickly fell in love with it.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cocco said:

I have Sandberg black label pickups in my TT4. I'd echo @TRBboys experience on a pickup change. I've found the black labels a completely different kettle of fish. Less clinical and more organic.

I commissioned a custom VM5 build which I received just over 5 years ago, and was very keen to try the Black Labels! 

Ironically, I absolutely hated them! 🤣 Sold the bass pretty much immediately after waiting a year for it (seems very rash on retrospect 😅😬🤦).

I felt like they were REALLY aggressive but seemed to lack any actual 'tone'. It's really what led me towards ordering my TT5 passive, with their Alnico V pickups instead. Much more organic and toneful for my ears.

But this is why we have choice, because everyone likes something different! It also highlights why you need to TRY things yourself to form an opinion. No amount of people telling you what they like will replace that 😅

20181110_160456.jpg

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

Thanks TRBboy.   AlnicoV pickups!   Well that's interesting.    So, not Delano and not Blacklabel?     The Sandberg shop is closed until Jan29th (and I'm not sure they export to the UK these days) .... but if that worked then that would be ideal as I really like everything else about the bass!!! 👍

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I commissioned a custom VM5 build which I received just over 5 years ago, and was very keen to try the Black Labels! 

Ironically, I absolutely hated them! 🤣 Sold the bass pretty much immediately after waiting a year for it (seems very rash on retrospect 😅😬🤦).

I felt like they were REALLY aggressive but seemed to lack any actual 'tone'. It's really what led me towards ordering my TT5 passive, with their Alnico V pickups instead. Much more organic and toneful for my ears.

But this is why we have choice, because everyone likes something different! It also highlights why you need to TRY things yourself to form an opinion. No amount of people telling you what they like will replace that 😅

20181110_160456.jpg

Wow I can't imagine what they'd be like with a pre, mine are in a passive bass.

They're definitely aggressive, but the basses main purpose is distorted tones in a thrashy hardcore so it works.  The bass does the Frank Bello thing very nicely.

On 18/01/2024 at 12:40, Pirellithecat said:

There's a sound in my head ...........
Love my Sandberg VM4, lovely to play, great quality, super flexible ..... but I'd love to try a slightly less "mid forward" sounding bass. 
EQ doesn't really get me there, so I wondered ....
Anyone moved away from Sandberg and if so, to what?  

How would a MM/Sterling Stingray/Fender Professional II/Performer, be?
Other suggestions?

I'm in the middle of nowhere so it would be great to get a "hit list" and then do the road trip to compare them. 
Primary use in Rock Covers band, but with the potential for that Blues/Rock vibe should the need arise........

Odd, I play a vm5 with the P pickup slightly favoured on the blend knob and whenever I hear live recordings I always think it sounds quite mid forward! Of course YMMV.

Possibly because my picking hand rests quite close to the bridge?

2 hours ago, colleya said:

Odd, I play a vm5 with the P pickup slightly favoured on the blend knob and whenever I hear live recordings I always think it sounds quite mid forward! Of course YMMV.

Possibly because my picking hand rests quite close to the bridge?

Yep ....  I concur ....... the sound is a bit mid forward and, like you, I slightly favour the P Pickup for most "songs".    Usually (as evidenced by wear on the P Pup cover) my right hand "rests" just to the neck side of the PPup. 

Doh ........ still need to check out all the aforementioned basses, but used my Ashdown ABM 600 at Friday's big gig.   Sorted!  GAS almost evaporated, not only on guitar front, but also amp front ...... might still be looking at some complementary speakers ....... single cab , 2 x 12, light and very loud ............ ☺️