Why become a member? ×

Well, who saw a Stylophone Theremin coming?

• Woodinblack changed the title to Well, who saw a Stylophone Theremin coming?

I briefly owned a Bond B3 Theremin a few years ago after finding it at a steal in the window of my local Cash Converters. I played about with it for a few weeks then flipped it on ebay for a decent profit. It was great fun playing the bond but it was  obvious that it required a lot more dedication than I was willing to put in to be able to make anything other than space alien whoopy woo sounds.

It looks like this one is designed to enable more useful sounds to be made lot easier. It would have been even better if there was some kind of filter on the control panel though.

I have a friend who is very much into this kind of thing so I sent him the link when it came up on instagram yesterday. With a bit of luck he'll order one so I'll be able to have a go on it.

• Like 2

I think the great advantage of this is the cost - I think they should have probably put a trigger out on in or some other interface, but that is not really what they are about.

But build that into some filters and a bit of cheap hacking, and people are going to do great things with it!

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 16:09, Woodinblack said:

Im guessing not the drums and I would imagine there were multiple tracks and effects put on afterwards (although it has echo)

There's a Stylophone Beat drum machine (or beatbox) which might have been used for some of it. There's also a Stylophone with a moderately capable synth engine (the Gen X-1).

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

A Theramin in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Super impressive! 

Indeed - and that is what put me off getting one - I have a few insruments that I don't have time for, but until you try, you don't know if it would be fantastic or not so great. I can't really imagine doing mustang sally on it at the dog and duck. Crazy horses on the other hand...

But this, at near £100, as a pure music making machine, I can live with that, and also lets me know if it is something I would like to do.

I don't think you get many theramins at open mic nights

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - and that is what put me off getting one - I have a few insruments that I don't have time for, but until you try, you don't know if it would be fantastic or not so great. I can't really imagine doing mustang sally on it at the dog and duck. Crazy horses on the other hand...

But this, at near £100, as a pure music making machine, I can live with that, and also lets me know if it is something I would like to do.

I don't think you get many theramins at open mic nights

Mrs Zero has a theremin squirrelled away somewhere that I bought her for birthday/Christmas - I think it was this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305344846057. There are a load of a new variety on That Ebay at around £50, eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295896292092 (or £33 from AliExpress, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004857001691.html).

Indeed - but that isn't a moog :D

I had thought of those, and I also did think of the moog theremini, but it hard to see what it is like because if you look on a place where theremin players hang out, using a theremini is basically digging up Leon Theramin himself and using his body as a scarecrow, but a bit worse. Wonder what they will make of that.

If this turns up it will be a fun thing at a price that is still in the fun area