Why become a member? ×

Seeking advice; Recording pub gigs, GoPro etc.

Hi,

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations or experience for a piece of kit to record small pub gigs. I'm mainly interested in the audio but video of the band/audiences is a bonus!

I have regularly used a GoPro Hero 5 (with audio recording set to auto limit) and have sometimes had great results. Once fed through Logic with some processing, the results can be surprisingly impressive. The mix can be hit or miss but providing we set up properly (which we usually do) and I choose placement carefully, the outcome can be very useable, either for self analysis or a bit of social media. I'm not talking production video here. I've sometimes augmented the audio by recording through a Zoom iQ6 into the Twisted Wave app on an iPhone and the audio is usually excellent, with great clarity and no clipping (again subject to careful mic placement). So far so good.

However the two problems I come up against is:

1) synching the .wav file from Twisted Wave to GoPro clips is a nightmare. Despite what they say, even when you stitch GoPro clips together there is an audible gap in transition, so the .wav file from Twisted Wave goes further and further out of sync as the set progresses and its a total pain to put right.

2) I can't rely on the audio from the GoPro alone as is sometimes gets overwhelmed and even with auto limiting, it just can't cope.

So I am just wondering whether anyone has any experience of using a video/audio recording device in a live band setting maybe like a Zoom Q2n, other GoPros or similar. I stress I am not looking for high end stuff, multi-channel recording etc, I'm after something I can stick on a Joby Gorilla stand, attach to the nearest wall light and hit record!

Thanks for your help.

David

Edited by PsyBean
Update

This topic has come up before. My opinion is, ditch the GoPro, it's not optimised for recording gigs, the results are usually dreadful. Get several Q2n 4Ks, and place them all around the band and/or on them! Mix the audio from the different sources and the results will be good. Even better if you can invest in a wireless PA that can record either its stereo output or each band member's channel individually. Check the PA section if you're curious.

Definitely have a look at these threads:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PsyBean said:

I'm mainly interested in the audio but video of the band/audiences is a bonus!

@Silvia Bluejay has picked up (mainly) on the video side of things. For purely audio recordings - which can later be sync'd with whatever video sources you may have, of course - I've had consistently excellent results from the Zoom H-series.

The Zoom H1 and Zoom H2 are both essentially field recorders; you place them in the venue where you think they'll get the best sound whilst not being stolen by passing pikeys. I used to routinely ask the bar staff to put my H2 on a shelf behind the bar. Both units are cheap as chips and very robust.

The Zoom H4 is a significant step up. You have the same on-board mic capsules (usually in X/Y pattern) as with the H1 & H2 but you also have a pair of combi-jack inputs so that you can take a clean feed from the PA. We put our bands through the PA as much as possible so this appraoch really works for us. Given that the thing least likely to be mic'd up is the drums, I always place the H4 very close to the kit; this means that I get a decent level for most of the band straight through the PA plus I have a separate audio track which is mainly drums.

Depending on how your band uses its PA there's often no need for a dedicated 'recording mix' through a pair of Aux channels. I simply take a stereo 1/4" jack feed from the Headphones socket into a pair of mono 1/4" jacks for the H4. Bonus points for having a separate Volume control for the Headphones socket ...

• Thanks 1

I have used a PC connected to my Behringer XR18 capturing all 16 channels for mix down after the show, and I have also used the Zoom H4n either on its own, or cabled to the headphone out of the Behringer (best result for a quick stereo mix). The H4n is a really good piece of kit, and can easily record a whole gig on one SD card.

Thanks for the helpful comments, I’ve followed the other threads too. The Q2n looks a good option. With the size venues we play, only vocals and sometimes kick drum go through the pa so I’m reliant on capturing the ambient audio in the venue. I have done multitrack live recording but that’s not what I’m after here. We usually get a pretty decent live mix as we only have vocals, 1 guitar, bass and drums so fairly easy to set levels.

It looks from other threads that multiple Q2n recordings sync up fine with each other and with separate audio, which has not been my experience with GoPro. We normally play 60-90 min sets so I would need memory and power source to match.

What applications would you folks recommend for simple video post production? Maybe no more than 2 or 3 camera angles plus audio with simple cuts and transitions. I see Reaper gets a few mentions, although maybe a bit ott for my needs.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, with a digital mixer you can record each track individually. As in, you could mic up and record all the drums but just not put most of them through the foh. 

So, I took the plunge and bought a Zoom Q2n 4K. Recorded a gig with it at the weekend and used Reaper to mix the video and audio from the Q2n with video from a GoPro Hero 5, video from a cheap Chinese action cam and audio from an iPhone using Zoom iQ6 mic and Twisted Wave. Reaper handled it all great so will defo take the plunge and pay for a licence. I prefer using Logic for audio but Reaper is very capable and amazing value at $60. Still getting to grips with the Q2n, will be using it again next weekend. This has given me the perfect solution for what I am trying to achieve, just plonk a few cameras around, hit record and forget. A few minutes to set up and seconds to strike down.

Thanks for everyone's comments and PMs, all been really helpful. Here's an example of what I captured, exactly what I was after.

• Like 2

Ah, cheers. Angles were a bit random, just used some available shelf! Mainly wanted to try out the kit and Reaper. Did the cross fades with Reaper’s opacity tool, haven’t even started looking at the other features. 

Love playing with this drummer, hands off, he’s spoken for!😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Out of interest, which angle was which camera?

Q2n was the high front view, which is also where part of the audio came from (ended up grainy and looking like cctv), GoPro on the guitarist, Chinese action cam on drummer. No one's interested in me on bass! I realise I got some of the exposure settings wrong and don't think I took off the opacity in Reaper fully in some edits. It's a learning curve.

• 2 weeks later...

Just buy two Zoom Q2n-4K units, Chris. They'll do a perfectly fine job so long as you take the lighting seriously, they'll also act as a backup for the audio in case your 'main' recorder lets you down, and best of all they'll be available for live gig recordings.

Both cameras plus all cables plus two power packs plus two table tripods will fit easily into a standard bumbag, if you're sufficiently tasteless to use one of those. 😂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Just buy two Zoom Q2n-4K units, Chris. They'll do a perfectly fine job so long as you take the lighting seriously, they'll also act as a backup for the audio in case your 'main' recorder lets you down, and best of all they'll be available for live gig recordings.

Both cameras plus all cables plus two power packs plus two table tripods will fit easily into a standard bumbag, if you're sufficiently tasteless to use one of those. 😂

As you know Jack, I am sufficiently tasteless! Thanks for your recommendation 👍

11 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Lighting is going to be an interesting challenge as a lot of this wil be done in my vocal booth which is about a dark a room as can be imagined! Might be time to but some light coloured acoustic tiles 👍

19 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Thanks Jack, quite extraordinary how inexpensive lighting is these days, I looked at the link and thought "Mmm, where've I seen that?', nipped into my eldest daughter's bedroom, and there it was, just tested it and it does the job really rather nicely with a lot of options for intensity and tone. IIRC it cost £9.99 👍 

• Like 1

We use a Zoom H1 for recording gigs. The quality is really good, especially if you experiment a bit with the manual gain to get a good level and avoid using the auto level. Uses 2xAA batteries too so handy for popping on a shelf on the back of the bar etc.

On 30/01/2024 at 12:58, Beedster said:

Slightly OT but I need to get a camera for recording interviews (probably two cameras in fact). I have no idea about video kit so any suggestions welcome?

If you're wanting to record them just for reference, anything will do, even a couple of phones.

If it's to edit them into something decent-looking, a couple of recent phones will still do the trick. Don't use anything too wide.

It's the audio you'll really need to concentrate on - get a couple of lav mics, and split them hard left and right so you can balance them up in the edit.