Why become a member? ×

Would you send a new bass back that had this damage?

markbunney

Did you get it at discount already? They're listed around £1300 everywhere from what I can see.

Maybe it was a shop demo bass?

If you can exchange it for a new one at the same price then do so. 

If it was discounted for the couple of imperfections stated then rock on with it imho. 

Do whatever your gut is telling you though. 

Beautiful basses these btw...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

I'd have been waiting a long time then. Must have read Bassassin's post. 

Probably, G4M was my cheapo guitar, the £30 discount was proportionate & reasonable - would've been a p!55take on a £1000+ bass though. Also they refunded my account, rather than issue some credit note I'd never use.

Edited by Bassassin
Fück you, nannycensor.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TimR said:

I'd have been waiting a long time then. Must have read Bassassin's post. 

I would think if you asked PMT to sell you one at £1,099 they would 👀

it has been on sale there this week at three different prices, £1,099, £1,299 and £1,499

Edited by markbunney

Dings / dents / at back of the neck would probably affect resale value imho . That's assuming you may want to sell in the future . You never know . On a slight tangent , I've seen a few reviews of Ibanez basses with similar necks ( the headless basses in particular) where reviewers such as Low End Lobster 🦞 weren't overly impressed with Ibanez quality control . Apparently , they're mainly manufactured in the Cort factory among other brands but iI stand to be corrected .

i think you did the right thing returning it due to description , but the bigger discount seems to be evident now due to ' imperfections'.

The fingerboard you could possibly live with, but the neck issue would be nagging away at you over time .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

Yeah having looked closely at the pictures, all three of those anomalies look like blemishes/faults in the grain of the wood. Naturally occurring, but should not be present on a new instrument without serious discounts.

You’ve done the right thing 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Did you get it at discount already? They're listed around £1300 everywhere from what I can see.

Maybe it was a shop demo bass?

If you can exchange it for a new one at the same price then do so. 

If it was discounted for the couple of imperfections stated then rock on with it imho. 

Do whatever your gut is telling you though. 

Beautiful basses these btw...

It first went up for sale at £1,099 and then a few days later went up to £1,299. I contacted them and they agreed to see it for the original lower price.

The colour and finish on it was beautiful

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 22:42, markbunney said:

NBD today for something I’d been looking at for over 3 years, but for various reasons wasn’t able to get.

This was an Ibanez SR1600B in Caribbean Shoreline finish.

It arrived today and had a scratch on the fretboard and a ding in the back of the neck.

The shop said they were just minor imperfections, which I guess they are, but after spending £1100 on something I expect it to be perfect, so they agreed to take it back as faulty.

Just wondering if I was being overly picky, or right to expect a new instrument to arrive in perfect condition.

8F8A8664-7FA2-4E62-A488-BBD02C26CE13.thumb.jpeg.5688f9e175cee8d0d5c4f612f4bf6a97.jpegC564E093-CB28-40B8-8611-DDE0F05C622B.thumb.jpeg.c197cce08177bf2f21af078ca3f51feb.jpeg

For me it would depend on how it played, if I could get the action to my preference and it played well with no buzz anywhere then I would deal with it and try and get a discount on it, if it needed any kind of fret work to get the action where I wanted it then I would return it, not because of the marks but because the next bass might have better fretwork so I would use it as my excuse for a replacement.

• Like 1