Why become a member? ×

What Sire did next

neepheid

The Burgundy mist does look good.  I tried a Sire jazz in that colour in Andertons and from memory the colour did look close to that in the photos.  I'm guessing the natural finish will be lighter but we'll see.  The Rosegold Z3 looks interesting as does the blue.  I might nip over to Andertons when they arrive.

On 10/05/2024 at 10:25, neepheid said:

Couldn't tell you about string spacing - email Sire?.

Sire's response, copied and pasted:

Hello Bill.

Thank you for contacting Sireguitars and for your inquiry.

Sorry for the late response.

Below is nut width and string spacing information.

4 String nut width: 38mm
5 String nut width: 46mm

4 String spacing: 20mm
5 String spacing: 18mm

Hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing SIRE!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Hello Bill.

Hope this helps.

Interesting - that contradicts what is on their website - it says 42mm nut width for the 4 string and 45mm for the 5 string.  Goddamn it will they stick to one story?  I don't mind if there has been a spec change, but update your site if that's the case!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Interesting - that contradicts what is on their website - it says 42mm nut width for the 4 string and 45mm for the 5 string.  Goddamn it will they stick to one story?  I don't mind if there has been a spec change, but update your site if that's the case!

Good spot.  2nd email sent.

Latest correspondence, copied and pasted:

Hello William.

This is Mariano from Sire customer service.

Since the Sire Z models are new and in the process of production, let me find out from our factory to make sure the string spacing and nut width.

Once I receive the confirmation I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this seems a bit hit miss with accurate info, but it’s great that Sire answer emails from the general public and seem genuinely interested in helping. I emailed them about something a good while back and I remember them being super helpful then too. Tech21, DiMarzio and Hipshot have this kind of customer service too, nothing seems to be too much bother. Other companies could learn a thing or two from this kind of service, both large and small, UK and US based.

• Like 4

On 13/05/2024 at 21:37, BillyBass said:

Hello Bill.

Hope this helps.

18mm on the 5-string sounds great, but the pictures I've seen looks like the polepieces are spaced as on 16-16.5mm Stingrayesque basses, which are quite common...

I would love to know for sure.

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

18mm on the 5-string sounds great, but the pictures I've seen looks like the polepieces are spaced as on 16-16.5mm Stingrayesque basses, which are quite common...

I would love to know for sure.

18mm works for me.  16-16.5mm doesn't.  My only fiver has a 18.25mm spacing at the bridge and I'm hoping for something close, so that swapping basses is straightforward.  The Z7s look like a great option, if they aren't too heavy and the string spacing is at least 18mm.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillyBass said:

18mm works for me.  16-16.5mm doesn't.  My only fiver has a 18.25mm spacing at the bridge and I'm hoping for something close, so that swapping basses is straightforward.  The Z7s look like a great option, if they aren't too heavy and the string spacing is at least 18mm.  Fingers crossed.

I am the same, that's why I'd like to know. At least 17mm, ideally 17.5 (Stingray, for example) to 18mm. I would even prefer 19mm to 16mm.

• Like 1

Ach, if you can't find one in a shop near you then just order one online!  Let us know what the string spacing is and if you don't like it - return it.  Welcome to my world, where the nearest shop with anything bassy worth playing is 3 hours away.  Costs more to go there and back (in terms of time and money) than it does to pay a courier to send a bass back.

If I played 5 strings, I'd take one for the team, but alas, I'm a four banger only.

Posted (edited)
On 18/12/2023 at 17:28, neepheid said:

Or more accurately, what they're about to do next year... https://sire-usa.com/pages/2024-models

Z series - looks like a mashup of a Stingray and a Lakland 44/55-0x to me

F series - single cut, Fodera shaped objects?

G series - semi hollow confections

some extra Vs (Jazz-a-likes)

and a full scale U series.

I wish they'd come up with an L series for bass (I know there is an L series for guitars)

L series - lightweight; ie anything under 8lbs/3.6kg.

They'd be tapping into a whole new, and very lucrative, marketplace.

Edited by chris_b

12 hours ago, neepheid said:

Ach, if you can't find one in a shop near you then just order one online!  Let us know what the string spacing is and if you don't like it - return it.  Welcome to my world, where the nearest shop with anything bassy worth playing is 3 hours away.  Costs more to go there and back (in terms of time and money) than it does to pay a courier to send a bass back.

If I played 5 strings, I'd take one for the team, but alas, I'm a four banger only.

On a Saturday morning, leaving at 8:30, it would take me about 1 hour to get to Andertons, arrive just before it opens and park in one of the spaces in front of their shop before they are grabbed by anyone else.  Then I can try the basses out; fivers being much more prone to neck dive, weight and string spacing issues than a 4 string bass.  

Last year I had to bribe Mrs BillyBass with a spa break in East Kilbride so I could try out the Reverends in Merchant City Music.

I think its worth driving for 3 hours if I'm definitely looking to buy and a particular shop has several options I'd like to try.  But to try one bass only, maybe not

• Like 1

Latest e-mail from Sire:

Hello William.

This is Mariano from Sire customer service.

Sorry for the late reply.

This is the information received from the factory technician.

In the case of the Z series, the 4-string is 19mm and the 5-string is 17.5mm.

Hope this helps.

That is a little bit disappointing, I was hoping for similar string spacing to their P5R models🙁

On 20/05/2024 at 21:53, BillyBass said:

On a Saturday morning, leaving at 8:30, it would take me about 1 hour to get to Andertons, arrive just before it opens and park in one of the spaces in front of their shop before they are grabbed by anyone else.  Then I can try the basses out; fivers being much more prone to neck dive, weight and string spacing issues than a 4 string bass.  

Last year I had to bribe Mrs BillyBass with a spa break in East Kilbride so I could try out the Reverends in Merchant City Music.

I think its worth driving for 3 hours if I'm definitely looking to buy and a particular shop has several options I'd like to try.  But to try one bass only, maybe not

I would require a rather more substantial bribe to go on holiday to East Kilbride...

• Haha 3

On 21/05/2024 at 15:29, BillyBass said:

Latest e-mail from Sire:

Hello William.

This is Mariano from Sire customer service.

Sorry for the late reply.

This is the information received from the factory technician.

In the case of the Z series, the 4-string is 19mm and the 5-string is 17.5mm.

Hope this helps.

That is a little bit disappointing, I was hoping for similar string spacing to their P5R models🙁

Thank you!

17.5 mm, as on a Stingray 5! 🙈

Now I've got to check them out! :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I would require a rather more substantial bribe to go on holiday to East Kilbride...

We were lying in bed one Sunday morning, cups of tea and laptops to hand and I was perusing the Reverends on Merchant City Music's website.  Mrs BillyBass announces she wants to go on a spa break, so I quickly google spa breaks near Glasgow and found somewhere in exotic East Kilbride.  She liked the idea, not having ever visited Scotland and knowing nothing about the place (she's Turkish).  I then came clean and told her my ulterior motive and we came to an agreement:  I get a bass, she gets a spa break.

So on the first day I visited Merchant City Music and GuitarGuitar and bought the Reverend, while she walked around Glasgow.  Day 2: Stirling Castle.  Day 3: Edinburgh.  She also had some sort of pampering session at the East Kilbride spa hotel.

Neither of us had ever visited Scotland, and I was the chauffeur and interpreter; she struggled with Scottish accents and I often had to help out.

• Like 2