Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 60s Mustang Bass Olympic White - *SOLD*
£300
Standlake, West Oxfordshire

FinnDave

6 minutes ago, three said:

A lovely bass (I learned on a borrowed Mustang years ago) and I'm really sorry to hear of the circumstances of the sale.  I hope that you manage to find some relief 

Thank you, but the best cure is stop playing, it seems.

• Sad 4

47 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Sorry to hear this Dave. Re the bass they are amazingly good - I have two and they are my gigging basses for my main band, play and sound great.

Thanks, Lozz, I thought I could carry on playing with the shorter scale, but it just lets get a bit further into the first number before the pain starts.

Sorry to hear of your situation . Nice bass .  
I assume you've thought of  many various possible ways of pain relief etc.

Have you tried acupuncture ? Also , I notice that you have ( or had ) various bits of synth equipment .

Maybe you could keep this bass for minimal  home use , and  use synths more ? Just a thought 

Anyway, Glwts 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas, the synths were initially bought as after my bike accident 8 years ago, I was worried I wouldn't be able to play bass again, as I lost of the use of a couple the first two fingers on my right hand, but managed to get around that by using a pick. I did have a synth set up as a bass synth and used that for a few songs when gigging to give my hand a rest, but I couldn't 'feel' anything with the keyboard (I had never previously played a keyboard). All the synth gear has been sold now, it was fun to fiddle with but we live in a small house and space is at a premium.

I have tried/am still trying pain relief, but nothing has had any effect so far. 

I started playing bass when I was 14 or 15, and I am now 66, so I've played with many different types of bands and made some good friends along the way. I'd rather stop before I am forced to, I wouldn't want my last gig memories to be bad ones.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, sorry to hear this Dave.

Would a uke bass be easier on your joints?

As I'm typing this reply, I'm sat on the sofa, playing my MIM Mustang, and wondering why I don't play it more often. Could you try some lower tension strings on your Mustang? That may make playing it easier on the hands? 

I played a Squier CV Mustang in my local PMT a while back - it was a lovely bass. Shame to sell all your gear. I'd hate it if I had to give up completely... I don't know what I'd do without music.

Thanks for the thoughts - it isn't easy giving up, but I am trying to focus on the things I'll no longer have to do - like loading up the car with my bass gear & PA, driving for miles, dragging the gear out of the car and setting it up, taking it down, packing back in car, driving home, unpacking it all and then finally sitting down feeling knackered! The couple of hours in the middle when we are playing makes it worthwhile, but battling against the pain takes the fun away. 

I've always played the same style, I can't imagine playing a uke bass in a blues rock band! Lower tension and/or lower action won't work with my playing style and I've been playing this way for over 50 years, too late to change now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

Have you tried turmeric supplements?

Yes, I've been taking them since the arthritis started. Impossible to tell if it has made any difference as I don't have a clone to act as a control. At best, I think it might have slowed down the problem, but certainly hasn't reversed its progress.

VOLTAROL GEL? 

Both Kaz and I swear by it, it's the only product that works for us, tried many! Luckily can get it on prescription, but if you have to buy it - definitely worth a punt 👍

https://www.voltarol.co.uk/products/topical-gels/#:~:text=You can use Voltarol gels,%2C ligaments%2C muscles and joints.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

VOLTAROL GEL? 

Both Kaz and I swear by it, it's the only product that works for us, tried many! Luckily can get it on prescription, but if you have to buy it - definitely worth a punt 👍

https://www.voltarol.co.uk/products/topical-gels/#:~:text=You can use Voltarol gels,%2C ligaments%2C muscles and joints.

I've tried that as well, no joy.

• Sad 1

• FinnDave changed the title to Squier Classic Vibe 60s Mustang Bass Olympic White **SOLD**