Why become a member? ×

Three auditions

JapanAxe

I’ve recently been looking for a quality band to join, on either bass or guitar. In the last month I’ve attended 3 auditions and I thought I’d share my experiences here.

(1) Lead guitar in a 5-piece playing a mix of pubs and festivals.

I wasn’t sure I wanted this as I’m trying to move away from pub gigs, but I thought it would be worth trying in case I really liked the band. I played the audition numbers ok but I reckon my lack of enthusiasm showed and the next day I got a polite and friendly Dear John message.

(2) Lead guitar in a start-up function band.

The audition venue was an old farmhouse in the middle of an industrial estate populated mostly by dodgy car repair businesses. A bass player turned up to unlock the door but had little idea what was going on. Inside the building, which smelled strongly of mould, a first-floor kitchen had been equipped with a PA, drum kit, and a couple of amps. The BL (drummer) was late and the singer who was to be auditioned at the same time had cried off, so we played one song with no vocals, and I sang a couple more. As I was leaving the next candidate arrived and I was amused to see him heft a huge speaker cab from his boot, oblivious to the steep and narrow staircase that awaited him.

All I’ve heard since is that the BL had had some car problems.

(3) Bass guitar in a well-established party band.

Although the band is not especially local to me, they do decent well-paid gigs including weddings.

I did a fair bit of preparation before the audition, going through their online videos to see how they tackled the songs - not just the 3 audition numbers. The auditions were in a proper well-equipped rehearsal studio, and I took my cue from the band by taking my ampless rig and IEMs. They were a nice bunch of guys and all went well.

Next day I got a message thanking me for coming and inviting me to be on their dep list - they are still looking for a permanent bassist. I call that a result.

My search continues - on Thursday I am playing guitar at the first try-out rehearsal for a start-up functions band. The organiser is an excellent female singer who I’ve worked with previously. The best leads often come through people you already know. The rest of the rhythm section seem to be from the big band / theatre pit world so I’ll be interested to see and hear how that translates to a party band environment.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, steantval said:

I would personally view the outcome of audition three as a bit of an insult.

We don’t consider you to right for the permanent bass role, but you can be one of our deps, stuff that.

I don’t see it that way at all. They actually offered dep work when they play closer to my area but I said I would be happy to travel to their area. I expect their ideal candidate would live in the same area, whereas I’m about 70 miles away. There was always the risk that the travel to gigs would at some point start to get wearisome for me, but not if it’s just the odd dep gig. I do actively promote myself as a dep, and we discussed that at the audition, so that’s all fine with me.

YMMV!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, JapanAxe said:

I don’t see it that way at all. They actually offered dep work when they play closer to my area but I said I would be happy to travel to their area. I expect their ideal candidate would live in the same area, whereas I’m about 70 miles away. There was always the risk that the travel to gigs would at some point start to get wearisome for me, but not if it’s just the odd dep gig. I do actively promote myself as a dep, and we discussed that at the audition, so that’s all fine with me.

YMMV!

I’ve always viewed being called to dep as a great compliment, particularly if the band is of decent quality. It means you are trusted to turn up (at the right location & on time) prepped and ready to go, without rehearsal. Thats a lot of trust a BL is putting in you. 
I enjoyed depping (particularly decent function bands) as I got to play without having to deal with band politics, and could always say no if I didn’t fancy the gig. The last dep I did lasted 8 years! 

Happy in my band now so don’t do it as much, but would still if it’s a fun gig. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

YMMV!

Ahh, you didn't mention that part initially.  70 miles is maybe a stretch for regular rehearsals, yeah.  I play in a band based 30 miles away, so it's about an hour's drive each way.  Double that is a big time (and fuel etc.) investment.  Looking at it from the other side, I'd be wary that someone might get weary of that schlep - fair play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

YMMV!

That puts a different perspective on it as you were actively promoting yourself as a dep, which you didn’t mention in your initial post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steantval said:

That puts a different perspective on it as you were actively promoting yourself as a dep, which you didn’t mention in your initial post.

The audition was for a permanent position in the band but I had sent a link to the audio clips on my website which is very much oriented towards depping, plus they specifically asked me about it after we’d done the playing.

I do get your point though - either you’re good enough or you’re not.

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Bearing in mind that posters previous threads have told of being ignored or ghosted, it's a result that you actually got replies, and from all 3 auditions!

At least 4 of my recent messages on Join My Band to people seeking musicians have been met with complete radio silence. Exasperating as this may be, it’s a useful indicator that the person posting the ad is not worth working with -  they’re too disorganised, thoughtless, or inconsiderate to make even the briefest response.

• Like 7

Last night’s tryout rehearsal went pretty well. Turns out 4 of the band had recently baled from an existing party band run by an anus. WhatsApp group set up and more rehearsals to be booked for January, by which time we’ll all have had a chance to get stuck into the set list.

It’s not what you know eh…

• Like 5

On 25/11/2023 at 15:26, JapanAxe said:

(3) Bass guitar in a well-established party band.

Although the band is not especially local to me, they do decent well-paid gigs including weddings.

I did a fair bit of preparation before the audition, going through their online videos to see how they tackled the songs - not just the 3 audition numbers. The auditions were in a proper well-equipped rehearsal studio, and I took my cue from the band by taking my ampless rig and IEMs. They were a nice bunch of guys and all went well.

Next day I got a message thanking me for coming and inviting me to be on their dep list - they are still looking for a permanent bassist. I call that a result.

I think we may have auditioned for the same band? In Soton?

• Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 00:11, JapanAxe said:

At least 4 of my recent messages on Join My Band to people seeking musicians have been met with complete radio silence. Exasperating as this may be, it’s a useful indicator that the person posting the ad is not worth working with -  they’re too disorganised, thoughtless, or inconsiderate to make even the briefest response.

I had this, but from people who messaged me first! They responded to my ad, I replied and then..... nothing. 

Including the one who said "we're finding it really hard to get a bass player who we can rely on". Wonder why?

• Like 2