Why become a member? ×

Free improvisation at Landromat Club in New York - any takers ?

musicbassman

Good stuff!

I'm always entertained by a bit of free improv... Perfect for Getting Up To Get Down!

I used to be in a sort of free improv band, However, we were a bit more groovy - basically the drummer and I (we'd been playing in another band together for years) would set off on some sort of funk groove, while the sax, trumpet, keys and guitar did crazy widdleshit all over it. It sounded like a busy version of Derek Bailey and Jamaaladeen Tacuma's "Mirakle".

We weren't at all po-faced mind, unlike another free improv do I went to where the organising woman held up colours as moods for us to convey. I found it difficult not to snigger!

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Good stuff!

I'm always entertained by a bit of free improv... Perfect for Getting Up To Get Down!

I used to be in a sort of free improv band, However, we were a bit more groovy - basically the drummer and I (we'd been playing in another band together for years) would set off on some sort of funk groove, while the sax, trumpet, keys and guitar did crazy widdleshit all over it. It sounded like a busy version of Derek Bailey and Jamaaladeen Tacuma's "Mirakle".

We weren't at all po-faced mind, unlike another free improv do I went to where the organising woman held up colours as moods for us to convey. I found it difficult not to snigger!

Reminds me of the 'acting workshop' I attended at which I was asked to respond to a dramatic situation 'as if you were a bag of crisps' :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Good stuff!

There some Jaco-esque moments in there, quite an enjoyable listen 👍 

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Good stuff!

Oh, god, this sounds like my current band, albeit switch sax/trumpet/keys for guitar, banjo, and mando. Americana Free Improv (which sounds like a political movement) :) 

12 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Well, I wasn't quite sure when the band had actually started 'playing', but I think it's a couple of minutes in from the beginning.

No bass player, so there's obviously a gig going there............ 😳

Wow ! That's very professional 😃. Sounds like Lulu outtakes ...