Why become a member? ×

PSA: Silly cheap deal on Boss SY-300 synth

fretmeister

I wouldn't expect it to come with a USB lead. I think a device has to come with all necessary leads, so a printer for instance has to come with a USB lead, unless it is wireless. The SY300 doesn't need a USB lead to operate, and I assume most people who have one will never use the USB lead, so its an option.

But you are right about the adapter.

• Like 1

I never ever bought a pedal with an USB socket that came with a cable, heck I don't even remember my midi keyboard with weighted keys coming with one.

I would be surprised if I bought a pedal and it came with an USB cable.

As much as I would be surprised by a new pair of shoes coming with shoe polish and a pair of socks included in the box.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The Line6 Helix comes with a USB cable.

Maybe wrong, but I'm not sure any of the Helix in the comparable price range to the SY-300 does though? Yours was a £1k+ product. 

I agree with @Woodinblack the more important thing is the right power supply - can't use it without one. For me, a USB cable costs a few quid and is not worth stressing about, particularly when you've just bagged a bargain?

And the even more important thing is if the SY-300 is actually any good / going to be usable live?

59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe wrong, but I'm not sure any of the Helix in the comparable price range to the SY-300 does though? Yours was a £1k+ product. 

Full price for an SY300 is £650 and for that I would expect a USB cable as well as the correct PSU for the country where it being sold.

11 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Full price for an SY300 is £650 and for that I would expect a USB cable as well as the correct PSU for the country where it being sold.

Yeah fair enough. 

Full price of a Helix Stomp XL is around £600. If that also comes with a USB cable, I'll concede the point.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

And the even more important thing is if the SY-300 is actually any good / going to be usable live?

Well, yes and no, For me it is a bit of an issue due to the size. 

Soundwise, the sound is pretty much the same as the SY200, in that any patch you can do with the SY200 you can do with the SY300 as you would expect. The SY300 has a few more sounds you probably can't get on the SY200, but nothing completely out there.

The real difference is in the level of control you have over it. The 300 you can control everything, and program anything. If there is a sound you want you can probably work it out and program it in the 300 without too much trouble, it is quite deep. however, if you aren't quite so fussy, the 200 you can go around until you find something you want and modify it to get close.

The 300 is more versatile certainly but with that comes a layer of complication of more options to pick.

Ultimately if I had paid £650 8 years ago I would have been blown away in that you can get a lot of what the GR55 gives you without the pickup, but since the SY1 and SY200, its not that much of a leap up, and at £650 now I think I would stick to the 200. However, below half the price of that it is an absolute bargain.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah fair enough. 

Full price of a Helix Stomp XL is around £600. If that also comes with a USB cable, I'll concede the point.

Also the only USB-A to USB-B cable I have is the one that came with the Helix. I have a load of other USB cables but no others with that particular combination of connectors.

I've a lightly used one of these if anyone who wanted one  lost out and didn't get one? Just make me an offer. 

For info they are light years ahead of sy1 and other pedals I've used. 

They also have a tuner, and loads of modelling pedals for drive, distortion, chorus, delay, fuzz etc etc on top of the synth sounds. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, 2pods said:

G4M did that to me with a Boss GP10 from Sweden

i just used a travel plug adapter 

G4M and other retailers who do this are contravening UK consumer law regarding the sale of electrical equipment. If enough people complained maybe they would sort themselves out and start supplying equipment with the correct mains connectors as standard.

IMO external PSUs with their tiny non-locking connectors and flimsy cables are bad enough for reliability without adding yet another poorly fitting adaptor to the equation.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 14:04, Woodinblack said:

Just as a follow up, I complained to G4M that it didn't have a UK power supply or adapter, and they sent me a new genuine boss PSA power supply for it

I have to give props to G4M though. Granted it would have been great if there were no issues in the first place, however its when things go a bit wonky you see how a retailer responds.

I don't think I ever bought anything from G4M before, and off the bat there was a slight issue with my order. I replied to an email explaining, and the response was swift, as was the remediation.

Then there was the issue with the power supply on the same order. Contacted them, got a response soon after and it was already being rectified. IIRC the power supply arrived the day after!

I can't fault their responses, I would have no problem transacting with them again.

• Like 1

IMO external PSUs with their tiny non-locking connectors and flimsy cables are bad enough for reliability without adding yet another poorly fitting adaptor to the equation.

I agree, but as it was only to be used at home I didn't bother.

If I had intended to gig with it, I would have chased them up.

So literally half (23 so far and I'm as guilty as anyone, haha!) posts on this thread about the non UK PSU. 

And just two on whether it's actually a decent bit of kit and potentially usable live? 

😂

Thanks to @Woodinblackat least for a decent review. 

• Haha 1