Why become a member? ×

Sei Basses

dlloyd

I've wanted one for 18 years... maybe I should bite the bullet?

How does it work in terms of payment?

(To clarify... I'd like to order one, but I'm concerned about the idea of handing over £2000 + for an instrument I wouldn't see until 2010...)

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='BigRedX' post='484173' date='May 10 2009, 09:27 AM']Mine was £400 down at the start of the build and the rest on completion. The prices have gone up since then so the initial payment might be more now.[/quote]

Same here but having ordered my Sei Jazz bass last september, after the price rise, and I still paid just £400 deposit. At one stage I offered to pay off the rest as I have the money but Martin said he'd rather wait till the bass is finished, which should be in about a month.

If you want my advice... GO FOR IT! They are amazing basses and the build time and price are all worth it.

Hope that helps :)

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='484672' date='May 10 2009, 10:13 PM']Same here but having ordered my Sei Jazz bass last september, after the price rise, and I still paid just £400 deposit. At one stage I offered to pay off the rest as I have the money but Martin said he'd rather wait till the bass is finished, which should be in about a month.

If you want my advice... GO FOR IT! They are amazing basses and the build time and price are all worth it.

Hope that helps :)

Mike[/quote]

That's great news Mike (and Big Red X)

I'm thinking of getting a fairly basic jazz 4 with a few inexpensive tweaks, so it shouldn't be more than a £400 deposit (in theory!)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='484718' date='May 11 2009, 12:13 AM']That's great news Mike (and Big Red X)

I'm thinking of getting a fairly basic jazz 4 with a few inexpensive tweaks, so it shouldn't be more than a £400 deposit (in theory!)[/quote]

Definitely cool - the Sei Jazz's have recently been very much in demand and I have to say that Martin's take on the classic J is really lovely - Pino Palladino's new 33" scale 5 string modern 'P' bass is wicked - it has the same top wood as mine but an alder body and is strung E - C - I tried it very briefly last week and it's killing! Even if you opt for a basic Jazz I'm sure Mart could add some nice extra touches without it affecting the price too much. There's another J body drying in the shop at the moment (which they do when the customer wants a matte finish) and that's got an Ebony top on an ash body - will be luuurvly...

Anyway feel free to drool over my J build page here - not long to go now - just waiting for the body tomcome back from the finishers and then it'll be a matter of days... :)

[url="http://www.munkio.com/visions/seijazzbass.html"]http://www.munkio.com/visions/seijazzbass.html[/url]

Cheers

Mike

Don't worry about giving Sei HQ a call. They're all very approachable and won't mind answering your questions and giving advice.

I wanted a Sei for years and years as well and they're definitely worth the money. Every time you even look at it, the bass will bring a smile to your face.

Go to the website, work out which options you want and call Sei HQ :)

[quote name='7string' post='488649' date='May 15 2009, 11:03 AM']Don't worry about giving Sei HQ a call. They're all very approachable and won't mind answering your questions and giving advice.

I wanted a Sei for years and years as well and they're definitely worth the money. Every time you even look at it, the bass will bring a smile to your face.

Go to the website, work out which options you want and call Sei HQ :)[/quote]

Cheers!

I pretty much know exactly what I want, but after a great deal of thought, I'm going to sit on the idea for the time being.

I probably could afford to order one a bit of financial juggling, but there's enough doubt to make me want to wait until I'm a little more certain.

:)

For what it's worth, I would be going for something that looked a bit like this:

with four strings, ebony board with no fret markers, black hardware, Nordstrand dual coils with a ramp in between. No idea at the moment about which preamp I'd use.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='489034' date='May 15 2009, 04:27 PM']...with four strings, ebony board with no fret markers, black hardware, Nordstrand dual coils with a ramp in between. No idea at the moment about which preamp I'd use.[/quote]

Why specifically Nordstrand coils? Hype?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='489043' date='May 15 2009, 04:34 PM']Why specifically Nordstrand coils? Hype?[/quote]

I don't know if hype is the right word. I've certainly read good reviews of them and I like the look of them.

Is there a reason I should avoid them?

[quote name='dlloyd' post='489112' date='May 15 2009, 05:33 PM']I don't know if hype is the right word. I've certainly read good reviews of them and I like the look of them.

Is there a reason I should avoid them?[/quote]

I have Nordy Fatstacks on my Single cut Sei and wasn't dissapointed, and I've read good anecdotal reviews of the NSJ4 J pups by Nordy as well, those are going on my new Sei J bass... so I'll let you know if they sound any good, I know Mr Freak isn't really a fan but so far they've worked out just fine for me, and no "hype" was involved in my decision :)

Mike

• 1 month later...

[quote name='urb' post='489153' date='May 15 2009, 06:03 PM']I have Nordy Fatstacks on my Single cut Sei and wasn't dissapointed, and I've read good anecdotal reviews of the NSJ4 J pups by Nordy as well, those are going on my new Sei J bass... so I'll let you know if they sound any good, I know Mr Freak isn't really a fan but so far they've worked out just fine for me, and no "hype" was involved in my decision :)

Mike[/quote]

Mike's s/cut sounds awesome, one of the very best sounding basses I've ever played, so I can vouch for that!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='490585' date='May 17 2009, 03:15 PM']I ordered my fretless 6 in October and paid £400 deposit. I asked Martin if I could pay off the balance during the wait time (12-14 months), but he said he'd rather have it all when the bass is finished.[/quote]

I think he always prefer to wait 'til it's finished. Maybe there's less incentive to finish it otherwise. :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='483968' date='May 9 2009, 07:47 PM'](To clarify... I'd like to order one, but I'm concerned about the idea of handing over £2000 + for an instrument I wouldn't see until 2010...)[/quote]

well think about it this way, you've been waiting over 18 years to get one. Surely you can wait till 2010 for it to be finished?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='532884' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:52 AM']well think about it this way, you've been waiting over 18 years to get one. Surely you can wait till 2010 for it to be finished?[/quote]

Waiting for it to be built wasn't the issue.

If you're ever in Glasgow, you can always pop in and have go on my Sei bass.

I can understand the trepidation in ordering blind though. When I ordered mine, I knew that this might be the only chance (financially) I would have to one. It is a leap of faith, but then again you're in the hands of an incredibly skilled luthier.

I saw my bass first when the woodwork was done and even then I could feel how special the bass was going to be. My avatar is an altered version of the photo that was taken when I saw my bass for the first time.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='533477' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:35 AM']If you're ever in Glasgow, you can always pop in and have go on my Sei bass.

I can understand the trepidation in ordering blind though. When I ordered mine, I knew that this might be the only chance (financially) I would have to one. It is a leap of faith, but then again you're in the hands of an incredibly skilled luthier.[/quote]

I'll have to take you up on that offer some time :) Even if seven string basses are a slightly frightening idea!

I'm postponing this particular instance of GAS for the time being. I've been doing some sums and could afford a Sei if I juggled some gear, but I'd have to sell my double bass... which I've decided would not be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...