Why become a member? ×

Horrible noise when removing amp lead from guitar..

Guest NOODS

I know what i need but don’t know what they are specifically called,  but if i unplug my amp lead from the guitar in a hurry i get a horrible noise from the amp… 

I think i need a lead with a sleeve type steel jack? 

Any suggestions please for Santa… 

In very simplified terms what is happening is that when you pull the plug out of the instrument the whole instrument becomes akin to an antenna for collecting hum from anywhere it can and thus the noise.

I always pull my instrument cable part way out of the jack on the amplifier before unplugging from the instrument.

On a more serious note, to solve the issue if you plan to keep on doing this, get a mute pedal and place it at the start of your signal chain, right after your bass.

Some true bypass pedals will work for this purpose when engaged without being powered, and most true bypass pedals will if plugged in in reverse when engaged and powered, though pedals specifically made for this purpose do exist, and it would be relatively easy and cheap to make one yourself as well if you own a soldering iron and know how to solder.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 20/11/2023 at 22:41, 3below said:

The cheap version is called "unplug the lead at the amp end", the deluxe version is something like this https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-pro-neutrik-silent-guitar-lead-angled-jack-5m-593140.htm  I find mine very useful and it works really well.

That would be a good cable except the picture show the cable a SC-Club. That is a microphone cable. The text says Sommer Spirit. If they are using Sommer Spirit with those connectors that is a good price. However the P&P will be about £6. 

On 20/11/2023 at 21:55, Guest NOODS said:

... if i unplug my amp lead from the guitar in a hurry i get a horrible noise... 

...it's the sound of millions of bass-/guitar- ists around the world, gasping in disbelief at such wanton vandalism! 😉

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

That would be a good cable except the picture show the cable a SC-Club. That is a microphone cable. The text says Sommer Spirit. If they are using Sommer Spirit with those connectors that is a good price. However the P&P will be about £6. 

Having bought one (black Friday price plus online discount code -> £21 all in), it is Sommer Spirit cable. Arrived next day as well. Useful when changing between bass and EUB which I seem to have to do in both bands.

Edited by 3below

3 hours ago, 3below said:

Having bought one (black Friday price plus online discount code -> £21 all in), it is Sommer Spirit cable. Arrived next day as well. Useful when changing between bass and EUB which I seem to have to do in both bands.

To be honest, I do not think that price will be around for long. It costs about that price to buy the parts. For example the RA Silent plug is at least £12 everywhere, If the soldering is done properly, That will be a great buy

On 20/11/2023 at 23:41, 3below said:

The cheap version is called "unplug the lead at the amp end", the deluxe version is something like this https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-pro-neutrik-silent-guitar-lead-angled-jack-5m-593140.htm  I find mine very useful and it works really well.

"guarantees a lifetime beyond 10,000 mating cycles."

I'm getting two!

• Haha 1