Why become a member? ×

So Used to One Specific Bass That Everything Else Feels and Sounds Odd in Comparison?

Baloney Balderdash

Wonder if anyone else experience this, that you have gotten so used to one specific bass that everything else feels and sounds somewhat odd in comparison?

Cause I experience this with my main bass.

I might play on a different bass and be fine, even enjoy the different flavor, but then as soon as I go back to my main, it's almost like a relief, like realizing that I have missed it and feeling like coming home, even if I might not have noticed while playing the other bass, like getting back in your comfort zone after having been somewhat out of it.

Like: "Ah, this is what a bass is supposed to feel and sound like".

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

• Baloney Balderdash changed the title to So Used to One Specific Bass That Everything Else Feels and Sound Odd in Comparison?
  • Baloney Balderdash changed the title to So Used to One Specific Bass That Everything Else Feels and Sounds Odd in Comparison?

I’ve been like this for years, anything other than a Precision such as a Jazz, Stingray, Thunderbird just sounded wrong to my ears when played by me. I now use Mustangs and they sound similar enough for me to not experience this, although it’s now a while since I played my Precisions.

• Like 1

None sound odd. They all sound like a version of me. Not sure that's a good thing...

However, after playing either my Hohner B2AV or Ibanez EDA900, it feels strange to have anything even vaguely close to the inside of my right (plucking hand) forearm. The first two never make contact with it at all. The bigger and "slabbier" the bass body, the more marked the contrast. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Wonder if anyone else experience this, that you have gotten so used to one specific bass that everything else feels and sounds somewhat odd in comparison?

Cause I experience this with my main bass.

I might play on a different bass and be fine, even enjoy the different flavor, but then as soon as I go back to my main, it's almost like a relief, like realizing that I have missed it and feeling like coming home, even if I might not have noticed while playing the other bass, like getting back in your comfort zone after having been somewhat out of it.

Like: "Ah, this is what a bass is supposed to feel and sound like".

Which bass is your number one?

Edited by jd56hawk