Why become a member? ×

Audio interface that can bypass the preamp

steviedee

• steviedee changed the title to Audio interface that can bypass the preamp
12 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

not sure how the signal would be picked up from the bass to your DAW without a preamp?

I already have a preamp, so I need a line level input but a lot of interfaces with line level inputs have combo jacks and they don't bypass the preamp, it's essentially a pad so you don't clip the interface. Probably no big deal but if you already have a sound you like then the interface preamp is not necessary.

Edited by steviedee

8 hours ago, steviedee said:

I actually think I’m being daft worrying about it!

Not daft but maybe over-thinking it. Pre amp describes just about anything that deals with low level signals, they don't have to be something that changes or colours your signal and they don't even have to have any gain, they may just be matching impedances or buffering a signal to stop it affecting other parts of the circuit. Unless you intend designing your own electronics you don't need to know any of this Just be confident that the electronics in your interface are as clean sounding as they can be.

• Like 1