Why become a member? ×

Fender P to J conversion neck

In case anyone’s interested, I bought the P to J conversion neck and installed it on my P bass. Perfect fit, only needed a set up, no fret work or shimming etc. Has Precision written on the headstock but has a nut width of 38.1mm. Went for the Pau Ferro fretboard expecting to have to stain it darker, but when it arrived I liked it exactly as it is - just oiled it once and very happy with the look and feel. These necks are also available with maple fretboards.

So to anyone who loves their P bass but doesn’t like the thickness of the neck, consider this option. It’s worked out perfectly for me.

IMG_7832.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

What does it consist of?

Maple neck with pau ferro fretboard, holes cut out for the tuners inc small drill holes for screws. No drill hole for the string retainer. 4 holes cut out for the neck bolt on joint. Finish is a really nice satin. Cost £300 which is a lot for just a neck but I’m very impressed. It’s MIM btw.

Just now, asingardenof said:

I think it's basically a Jazz neck that says Precision on it from what I can gather.

With dot inlays rather than the usual Jazz block inlays too.

21 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I think it's basically a Jazz neck that says Precision on it from what I can gather.

Sure, but I had thought it said “kit” which generally comprises more than one component. This is why I questioned it. 

Edited by Geek99

17 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Bit confused as to why this is a "conversion" neck, surely there is no conversion needed you just buy a jazz neck and stick it on a precision bass.

Maybe it’s because it looks like a P neck (with Precision Bass written on the headstock and dot inlays) but with the J dimensions. That’s noticeably different to putting to putting on a Jazz neck, isn’t it?

17 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Maybe it’s because it looks like a P neck (with Precision Bass written on the headstock and dot inlays) but with the J dimensions. That’s noticeably different to putting to putting on a Jazz neck, isn’t it?

Do Jazz basses not normally have dot inlays?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

Do Jazz basses not normally have dot inlays?

Some do, some have block inlays. The main difference obviously being the headstock makes it look like it’s a P neck rather than J.

Trivial convo, but obviously a true J neck would have Jazz written on the headstock which would irritate many P owners who simply want a thinner neck but love P basses.

23 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Ok fair enough, glad you found a neck that you like.

I wish that Fender would sell the Vintera p bass necks separately, those necks are lovely.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2023 at 18:23, shoulderpet said:

I wish that Fender would sell the Vintera p bass necks separately, those necks are lovely.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386166369662?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ef1mXj02Rzi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=SRFiokWqR6y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

How strange - just yesterday I was in a thread about another brand of bass which people say is difficult to play and I said:

"I think if you've played a Jazz all your life and then swap to another brand (Warwick, Ric, etc.) it may seem odd, but that's down to closed minds rather than issues with the instruments themselves; in extremis, some folks find it odd to go from a Jazz to a Precision and in the olde days there was a thing of putting Jazz necks on Precisions."

2 hours ago, prowla said:

How strange - just yesterday I was in a thread about another brand of bass which people say is difficult to play and I said:

"I think if you've played a Jazz all your life and then swap to another brand (Warwick, Ric, etc.) it may seem odd, but that's down to closed minds rather than issues with the instruments themselves; in extremis, some folks find it odd to go from a Jazz to a Precision and in the olde days there was a thing of putting Jazz necks on Precisions."

I’ve never owned or played a Jazz, but the necks of my past basses have been 40mm or less at the nut width. I just couldn’t gel with the wider P neck however much I tried. It could’ve been psychological but I think it just felt like there was an unnecessary gap between the strings in my left hand.

37 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I’ve never owned or played a Jazz, but the necks of my past basses have been 40mm or less at the nut width. I just couldn’t gel with the wider P neck however much I tried. It could’ve been psychological but I think it just felt like there was an unnecessary gap between the strings in my left hand.

I am not so sure if it is "in the mind". I have an Aerodyne Jazz, P/J but with a jazz neck and while that was being refurbished (flood unfortunately), I bought a Peavey P Bass copy to play. It has a lovely neck, and it was only later that I realised that the Jazz and Precision did not share the same nut width. So I measured the Peavey, and it is 38mm, the standard Jazz neck width. I have played various Precision's, and it was not difficult, but it did seem to require more work, more concentration. Now that could also be down to the neck profile, I have not looked at that.

On 14/11/2023 at 18:23, shoulderpet said:

They do also sell them brank spanking new:
https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/necks/roasted-maple-vintera-50s-precision-bass-neck-20-vintage-frets-7.25-c-shape/0999612920.html (out of stock here, but just a reference)

In stock and UK based here:

https://www.giggear.co.uk/guitars/guitar-parts-spares/guitar-bodies-and-necks/precision-bass-necks/fender-roasted-maple-vintera-50s-precision-bass-neck.htm