Why become a member? ×

Those using a 35" 5 string and flatwounds.....

Sibob

Hello Si

I've been on a similar search, and would suggest Galli synthesis flats or La Bella white nylons.

The Gallis have a nylon core so they stay pretty low tension but have the feel of a traditional flat on the outside.  They are quite mid-sounding, but not in an unpleasant way.

You probably already know the La Bellas, but I have used the standard set (with the .060 G string) for many years and am a huge fan.  They work really nicely on longer scale basses.

Cheers

Gareth  

I have a set on TI's on my Mike Lull PJ5 and a set of GHS Precision flats on a 34" Cort (which were previously on a 35" bass). I try to use the fattest strings I can find and play with a soft-ish touch and string tension is something I've never really noticed.

Both sets have always played well and sounded great.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, franzbassist said:

Hello Si

I've been on a similar search, and would suggest Galli synthesis flats or La Bella white nylons.

The Gallis have a nylon core so they stay pretty low tension but have the feel of a traditional flat on the outside.  They are quite mid-sounding, but not in an unpleasant way.

You probably already know the La Bellas, but I have used the standard set (with the .060 G string) for many years and am a huge fan.  They work really nicely on longer scale basses.

Cheers

Gareth  

Yeah I have White Nylons on the bass at the moment (should have mentioned that), and love them, but the tensions is a little toooooo light. I like how malleable they are to the fingers, but the clattering on the frets is too much for me.
Figured some low-ish tension flats would be a good middle ground.

Si

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I have a set on TI's on my Mike Lull PJ5 and a set of GHS Precision flats on a 34" Cort (which were previously on a 35" bass). I try to use the fattest strings I can find and play with a soft-ish touch and string tension is something I've never really noticed.

Both sets have always played well and sounded great.

Yeah TI's are probably a good shout to take a look at. Don't think I've ever tried GHS, so will look at what's around.

Cheers
Si

I tell you what, I have a proper Love/Hate relationship with these White Nylon strings. I HATE them acoustically, horrible clattering strings, but plugged in on a gig, they’re lush and feel sooo good.

I go in and out of wanting to change them…..tonight I might leave them a little longer haha.

Si

I think basically my Lakland can use Long Scale fine (like the White Nylons it currently has), so that’s fine.

Not so with my Elrick unfortunately, it has a zero fret which means that it needs Extra Long Scale, slightly annoying but meh.

Si

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just strung my Overwater 35" 5 string Jazz with D'Addario XL Chromes because I've been playing a lot of fretless recently using the same strings and going back to rounds felt like playing sandpaper. I've gone with what they call their regular light gauge (45, 65, 80, 100, 132) and I'm loving them. My bass is top strung from the bridge and the standard long scale fitted fine but they would have been short on a through body strung bass. 

IMG_8202.jpeg

• Like 2