Why become a member? ×

Bought first bass - some help needed!

RitchieRich

Hi, I mainly play acoustic guitar but just bought a bass, its a used Epiphone Allen Woody. Seems to work ok, but the sound is lacking, the E string is quiet and indistinct, and the A string is a bit like that. The other two sound good, louder and clearer. I have some ideas why this might be, but dont really know where to start. Is it:

• I used a 'normal' guitar amp I have around ( a small DV Mark Jazz amp) - is it simply that this cant get good low notes???
  • the strings are too old - but then why would the higher pitched strings sound OK?
  • it needs a set up - the action seems Ok though I have no experiecne of basses
  • there's a problem with the pick ups - but both of them??
  • soemthing else???

I thought I could start by getting new strings, but dont want to buy them if its actually a new amp I need. ANy ideas?

Thanks

Ritchie

:crigon_04:

Strings are always the best start point, especially on a used instrument. The short scale of the Allen Woody can accentuate any wooliness in the thicker strings (make sure you buy the right length of strings for your bass). 

• Like 1

Rumblekats are very nice basses and that's a problem I believe is probably something simple like strings, or maybe pickup height.

Other than that, I'd recommend black tapewounds.

As for using a guitar amp?

Okay in a pinch, but doesn't your bass deserves something better?

81PxkU+6a5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

Edited by jd56hawk

Step 1 is setup: Saddle height, neck relief and pickup height. Start at or near factory standard, that should never sound bad.

Step 2: as others suggest find a bass amp near you, the low octaves will sound anaemic through a guitar cab.

Problem not solved? Let a bass player near you have a try on their rig, someone will identify the trouble, it's never too late to spend more money.

Now where are the pictures? 😄

Thanks for the replies all, I'm in Edinburgh. I was intending to get a bass amp at some point, so maybe next step is to take it to GuitarGuitar and try with some amps, that way I can choose an amp and test if thats the issue at same time. I had a closer look at the strings, they dont look corroded, so might not be them, but will change out anyway - thanks for the tip on tapewounds I'll get some. 

• Like 1

^ and if their is an issue GG may give you an idea!.. Sounds like the perfect plan... although before ya spend, i'd be looking second hand local or on here...  Bang for 80' Shillings and all that

Before ya go... still no pictures?.. there are rules ya know...

Never knew Woody Allen played bass...

Edited by PaulThePlug

23 hours ago, RitchieRich said:

Hi, I mainly play acoustic guitar but just bought a bass, its a used Epiphone Allen Woody. Seems to work ok, but the sound is lacking, the E string is quiet and indistinct, and the A string is a bit like that. The other two sound good, louder and clearer. I have some ideas why this might be, but dont really know where to start. Is it:

• I used a 'normal' guitar amp I have around ( a small DV Mark Jazz amp) - is it simply that this cant get good low notes???
  • the strings are too old - but then why would the higher pitched strings sound OK?
  • it needs a set up - the action seems Ok though I have no experiecne of basses
  • there's a problem with the pick ups - but both of them??
  • soemthing else???

I thought I could start by getting new strings, but dont want to buy them if its actually a new amp I need. ANy ideas?

Thanks

Ritchie

Strings could be a problem, but I suspect it is the amp. That is a tiny guitar combo, and it is unlikely to reproduce the low notes well. So change the strings, then try a different amp.

On 23/10/2023 at 17:41, RitchieRich said:

Thanks for the replies all, I'm in Edinburgh. I was intending to get a bass amp at some point, so maybe next step is to take it to GuitarGuitar and try with some amps, that way I can choose an amp and test if thats the issue at same time. I had a closer look at the strings, they dont look corroded, so might not be them, but will change out anyway - thanks for the tip on tapewounds I'll get some. 

If you do go with tapewounds, just remember to bend before cutting.