Why become a member? ×

Ibanez jack socket

stevie

The jack socket on my Ibanez bass occasionally makes a loud cracking noise through the amp when slight pressure is applied to the jack. I believe this is a common problem. Before I open her up I'd like to know if I'm going to need a replacement barrel socket or is this likely to be a simple soldering job?

Yes, it's an active bass - one of the premium models. I've always assumed that inserting the jack switches the preamp, but I haven't taken the jack out yet. There is a separate active/passive switch - so maybe not. If I do need a new jack socket, I'd rather have one to hand before I start.

It's likely to be one of these. My two Ibanez Mezzo's have these type fitted. Although cheepy versions, not Neutrik.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202881302566?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=v7LVBhSmTfS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=NXO8JSHoStK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

My SRF705 has a barrel jack in like the one that @BassBunny has shown which could do with replacing, as has one of my Warwicks. They're a PITA but they're needed to go through a centimetre or two of wood. Regard it as a consumable item. If you can pull the socket out sufficiently to get to the terminals, you'll find it a whole lot easier than trying to solder inside the body - if not then consider extending the wires a little bit so you can.

• Like 2

It's a general issue with all barrel type jack sockets, they will eventually fail, and they are as good as impossible to fix again, though it is a more prominent issue with the cheapest of them.

Regular jack sockets will last much longer, and usually if they eventually do fail it is an easy fix.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2023 at 23:22, tauzero said:

Regard it as a consumable item. If you can pull the socket out sufficiently to get to the terminals, you'll find it a whole lot easier than trying to solder inside the body - if not then consider extending the wires a little bit so you can.

Agreed - when you buy a replacement barrel socket, get a few if you can. They are indeed best viewed as consumables.

• Like 1

My experience is similar to above. These sockets are also fitted to good quality Warwick basses. The contacts inside the barrel are very thin and I think they loose their springiness over time and then don't make a reliable connection.  They are impossible to repair effectively unlike the old school Switchcraft chassis types With an active bass the connection of the power can give a mighty loud band out of the rig! It's hard to tell the quality of replacements as the cheap Chinese ones look just the same as any other. The good news is that the "cheap" ones seem to last just as well as any others. I always keep a spare one in stock, knowing I will need it sooner rather than later.

9 hours ago, basstone said:

I always keep a spare one in stock, knowing I will need it sooner rather than later.

Same here. I can guarantee that I'll have lost it by the time I need it (although a few did turn up when I was going through one box a few days ago, so the fretless Thumb and the SRF705 may get treated shortly).

• Like 1