Why become a member? ×

Do Hot Girls Like Chords?

leroybasslines

Afternoon all!

When Knower Forever came out on Bandcamp it absolutely blew my mind. I’ve loved them for years but this record went to the next level. One song in particular stood out for me - Do Hot Girls Like Chords. I obsessively tried to work it out by ear from the record - no easy task given the amount of stuff going on - two keyboards, bass and guitar doing all kinds of stuff sorta/kinda in unison. I knew they’d recorded it live so I thought it would be interesting to compare what I’d worked out by ear with what Sam Wilkes was actually doing when I could see the YouTube video. Needless to say, as soon as I saw it I had to go back to the drawing board. Wilkes is a brilliant player and although Mononeon gets a lot of the attention for his performances on the record, Sam’s stuff is absolutely incredible. 

Anyway, I did a YouTube cover mainly to give myself a target to aim for and a bit of accountability to help me keep working at it. Have a look and let me know what you think - I’m currently able to play the verse chromatic riff right about 80% of the time on a good day which I’m ok with, but any tips on how in god’s name to play Wilkes’ fill out of the solo section will be most gratefully received. 

Anyone else enjoy trying to learn stuff way out of their comfort zone, obsessing to the point where you neglect family, personal hygiene etc?

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, leroybasslines said:

I wasn't familiar with the band or the tune, but going on this example, I think I'll dig them.

Knower are up there in my favourites list - always creative and original.

If you're looking through their back catalogue, then this gem from around 2016 takes some beating - and here it's Louis Cole on synth bass and then Tim Lefebvre digging in on his P bass

Edited by musicbassman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Knower are up there in my favourites list - always creative and original.

If you're looking through their back catalogue, then this gem from around 2016 takes some beating - and here it's Louis Cole on synth bass and then Tim Lefebvre digging in on his P bass

Love the trash can drum kit!!!!!!!

• Like 1

This dude just released a version which is definitely more accurate than mine. He nails the bit I struggled with in the solo section. Very impressive, fair play - I’ve never seen him on YouTube before but he’s a player! 

Still, I’m happy to have been the first geek to do a version of the full tune on four string. And I reckon I do the Meshuggah bit tighter and harder than him because I can guarantee that listen to more Meshuggah than he does…🤘

• Like 2

Love the riff. IMHO that tract doesn’t need vocals. And yep, love learning stuff way outside my comfort zone. Tends not to be bass lines but solos in jazz numbers, I find it gives you a greater understanding of melody concepts. Currently obsessed with the Tim Miller solo in the Gwizdala song ‘Bethany’ as it’s a masterpiece. It’s mental tho and even on my 5 string high C it’s an uber challenge. 

• Like 1