Why become a member? ×

Bryant Soloist Double Bass - Reduced – £4995 - *SOLD*
£5995
Bristol

This is a bit of a heartbreaker, but it’s got to happen.

Here’s my Paul Bryant Soloist (number 119). I’ve owned this from new, in fact I commissioned it from him and have the bill of sale.

It’s a soloist model, and is still on his website. He describes it this way:

“This model has back, sides and head from figured English sycamore, and a front of Sitka spruce, cut some 30 plus years ago, the instrument is covered in a golden brown oil varnish. Length of back 43ins, string stop 40.5ins.”

https://www.bryantbasses.co.uk/basses

This has had a new bridge, fingerboard shoot and set up by Martin Penning where it was given new Spriocore Weichs. 

There are a few marks in the top, but nothing major. 

The action is low and the sound beautiful.

It comes with the Realist pickup here and can come with a case if you need one.

Reason for sale is the realisation I don’t play it well enough and I simply can’t justify it and I don’t want to hold onto things just for the sake of owning them. It would much rather it was played by someone who can enjoy it. I’m better off with my aluminium beater bass.

Images here are a guide. I’m expecting buyers to come and play. I have a music room/office and you can spend as long as you like playing during the day.

Price of £5995 reflects the initial cost, add ons, work and value I was given by a shop.

13DD3373-A8D0-42FE-BB6E-70C80FA022FA.jpeg

2560F63A-1878-47AB-A3CE-BDB462D0E05D.jpeg

BF634C51-0C62-4042-89E9-E2EFAEF249F2.jpeg

B152F676-60F6-4808-B8A5-75F811EE5D3C.jpeg

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, oldslapper said:

That’s beautiful.

It’s everything you want in a handmade double bass at a reasonable price. If it doesn’t sell, I’ll leave it here and enjoy it every day.

How would I describe it? It’s like owning a sports car without having a driving licence. 

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 2

This is such a wonderful bass. It will become a pedigree bass and an investment in time, but for now, a thoroughly excellent sounding, easy to transport bass.

For anyone wishing to upgrade their student bass, this is way better than anything else in the price range, because of sound and construction, but also because it is made in England by a wonderful man (Paul) and will increase its value in years to come.

Good luck with the sale! (I wish I had the money!)

I agree with the above. My double bass journey has been long and tortuous, via Upton, two Martins and countless others before alighting on Bryant Soloist No83.

This is my keeper and is characterised by a gorgeous mid range singing voice. When a decent English bass maker charges £15k to build a bass these days this advertised price for a properly set up Bryant reflects Paul’s modesty overshadowing his considerable skills.

GLWTS

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Freud_Chicken123 said:

How is it as an arco bass? I'm after a solo bass that still has some low end volume to it.

Again, as I said above, I don’t play with a bow so you’d need to come and play it to see how it performs. I know that many Bryant basses are used in orchestras and you’d assume have a full bodied sound. But it’s such a personal thing so once again I’d urge you to try it. You’re under no obligation to buy it!

8 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

Ah I had an early soloist that I picked up from Paul's house in St Leonards around 2005. Like you I moved it on as I wasn't using it enough to justify such a nice bass. Lovely things!

Yes I picked mine up from Paul and we had a lovely chat. He gave me the bass and told me to pay him if I liked it.

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Yes I picked mine up from Paul and we had a lovely chat. He gave me the bass and told me to pay him if I liked it.

Are you selling on the same terms Lawrie :) 

All joking aside, what an amazing attitude. I so wish I could afford that stunner, but like you I'm finding that in so many ways an aluminium instrument seems to be a better fit 👍 

16 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I took mine away on appro too. Just as I was going out the door I asked Paul if he should have my name and address. He replied, ‘Oh, I suppose so’.

Lovely man.

19 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Are you selling on the same terms Lawrie :) 

All joking aside, what an amazing attitude. I so wish I could afford that stunner, but like you I'm finding that in so many ways an aluminium instrument seems to be a better fit 👍 

Yep!

I recently sent a jazz bass neck to an esteemed member. I’m sure he’ll pay me, and I’m a trusting person.

• Like 1

Can I ask a question please? What exactly is a soloist bass? I presume it's a DB optimised for a certain kind of playing - solos presumably - but haven't found a coherent explanation online. Is it somehow less suitable for bread-and-butter walking lines for eg? Thanks

Whoops, here we go. As I understand it there’s no hard and fast soloist standard between the makers but such a bass tends to be rather more compact for easier playability. Be it with a slightly shorter string length or more compact body, usually the width of the upper bout.

Having said that I now realise mine isn’t a Soloist but a Panormo copy. Sorry ‘bout that. Still a very nice bass tho’.

2 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Can I ask a question please? What exactly is a soloist bass? I presume it's a DB optimised for a certain kind of playing - solos presumably - but haven't found a coherent explanation online. Is it somehow less suitable for bread-and-butter walking lines for eg? Thanks

Hi Richard, our friend Bassace is right. It's a 3/4 double bass but it's just a fraction smaller in the body than a typical 3/4, and the string length is a tiny bit smaller (not so that you would notice). It's as suitable for orchestral playing as it is for jazz. 

The sound is rich and full bodied, but the neck is a little thinner, which makes it easier to navigate (for me, at least).

You can see details on the site: https://www.bryantbasses.co.uk/basses

Here's the Martin's version of a similarly sized bass: https://www.thomasmartin.co.uk/instruments-for-sale/new-double-basses/martin-solo 

18 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Hi Richard, our friend Bassace is right. It's a 3/4 double bass but it's just a fraction smaller in the body than a typical 3/4, and the string length is a tiny bit smaller (not so that you would notice). It's as suitable for orchestral playing as it is for jazz. 

The sound is rich and full bodied, but the neck is a little thinner, which makes it easier to navigate (for me, at least).

You can see details on the site: https://www.bryantbasses.co.uk/basses

Here's the Martin's version of a similarly sized bass: https://www.thomasmartin.co.uk/instruments-for-sale/new-double-basses/martin-solo 

Thanks very much ... you learn something every day and today it's 'what is a solo bass?'