Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie - UK Availability

Pirellithecat

13 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

That’s the point. I come from the very brand orientated world of cycling - MTB mostly - where the lore on where (and who) the products were made was very well ingrained. People rubbished Far Eastern made frames in particular. But after a while we found out that the manufacturers in the far East made exactly what you wanted to whatever quality you needed, as long as you were willing to pay for the quality. 
So really it’s the backup from the manufacturer that makes the difference, and value of the product in the first place. I don’t know how well Mesa look after their customers (and don’t just say “well no one ever gets and issue” - it’s happens with any product) but the value doesn’t seem great and the manufacturer is way over the ocean. Where are the authorised dealers and repair places that you can go and get these amps fixed under warranty? Maybe the extra cost is worth it, I don’t know, but I know for sure here in the UK a large chuck of the price goes to import taxes and VAT/transatlantic shipping costs which don’t have any bearing on the  quality of the product. 
I think if I had that sort of money I’d take a short 3 mile drive to Matamp and see how they could fulfill my needs. But that’s just me. 

As I showed in the earlier calculations, the cost in the UK and EU are exactly the same as the cost in the US, when adjusted for exchange rate and VAT versus our sales tax. As it turns out, it appears that Gibson is picking up all of the additional costs of shipping, import duty, import processing fees, etc. 

The authorized dealers are in fact beginning to advertise, the earlier posts about Andertons is one. We will have authorized service centers in the UK and EU as well. In the UK, I believe Surrey Amps is one, Stan Lawrence is a very good, qualified tech and has worked on Mesa (and other brands I have been involved with over the years) for a long time. You can go to our website and search for dealers and service centers by international region. We may also set up our own in-house factory service center as well, but I don't know the details or which country at this time.

If you don't like the thought of buying Mesa products, for whatever reason, that's fine but it would be helpful to everyone on BassChat if you kept your comments factual and accurate.

12 hours ago, Daz39 said:

it's a (mis)perception of quality (in some cases - I'm not for a second doubting Mesa are quality-kit) - but mainly a statement of patriotism. The US is a very patriotic sort of place. The 'regular, down-to-earth' citizen stands for the Anthem before ball games at their kids' little league, and probably has a modest-sized US flag hanging from their porch. They don't have attacks of existential dread about St Georges Day and whether we ought to encourage or discourage patriotism (just not too much, and especially not at football matches). They can be embarrassed about all sorts of things their Nation has done in the past (or present) yet still remain proud to be American and the not be afraid to show it. We're just more reserved and think it's weird ;)

Your concept of "regular, down to earth American" is extremely skewed. No little league game I have ever been to (when my kids were in Little League) has played our national anthem, nor does anyone that I have ever seen have a flag hanging from their porch or elsewhere. There may be small pockets of such behavior which gets blown WAY out of proportion by the media, but that's just sensationalism. It's no different than the inaccurate portrayal of Europeans (and others) by the media. 

There's a difference between acknowledging a country's past bad behaviors and national pride. I can think of plenty of examples of poor national behavior in the past by all countries, why shouldn't those countries that acknowledge and correct these behaviors be allowed to express national pride? If not, the entire world would remain in perpetual shame.

• Like 10

I don't want a thread de-rail or a big discussion here but I'm just a little uncomfortable about the direction this might be headed. BassChat thrives because of the generally good natured ethos of debate here. We don't discuss politics or religion and I've had my knuckles rapped for the former :) Maybe would be better steering away from discussing national stereotypes?

I love getting comments from @agedhorse who is a person of great knowledge and experience. He frequently helps out with individual advice to owners of gear he has designed or had an association with. His insights into what Gibson are attempting or indeed any information about how things look from his part of the industry are always fascinating and worth reading. I would love it if more industry insiders engage with us in this way. Often in the past this has been from bassists who happen to work in the industry and their insights are always interesting and add to our general knowledge of all things bass. Obviously they are a little constrained in what they can say and they are unlikely to criticise their own products or employers

My own nationalism is pretty limited, I feel shame about quite a lot of England's past and pride about other bits but I'm really happy to see increasing numbers of people from around the world joining BassChat and I'm proud that we make them welcome. Let's all be friends here.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Im still desperately keen to try a tt-800 and a wd800. 

My biggest frustration with the bass market is availability of multi brand equipment to try at volume. There's a berg here, mesa (nearly) there, genzler, orange, etc etc...to actually a/B them side by side. 

I have no doubt mesa are well engineered and they're comparable to berg and the upper echelons of the amp market....the proof is always in the pudding in terms of whether it works for you - sound, flexibility, intuitiveness, and hoc features etc. 

Anyway, I'm gonna be chasing the gibson garage, cause I really want to try em out....hopefully they'll also be available via other retailers in the UK soon 😎

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Im still desperately keen to try a tt-800 and a wd800. 

My biggest frustration with the bass market is availability of multi brand equipment to try at volume. There's a berg here, mesa (nearly) there, genzler, orange, etc etc...to actually a/B them side by side. 

I have no doubt mesa are well engineered and they're comparable to berg and the upper echelons of the amp market....the proof is always in the pudding in terms of whether it works for you - sound, flexibility, intuitiveness, and hoc features etc. 

Anyway, I'm gonna be chasing the gibson garage, cause I really want to try em out....hopefully they'll also be available via other retailers in the UK soon 😎

That, in part, is what the Basschat Bashes are for 👍

• Like 5

On 01/03/2024 at 23:33, agedhorse said:

As I showed in the earlier calculations, the cost in the UK and EU are exactly the same as the cost in the US, when adjusted for exchange rate and VAT versus our sales tax. As it turns out, it appears that Gibson is picking up all of the additional costs of shipping, import duty, import processing fees, etc. 

The authorized dealers are in fact beginning to advertise, the earlier posts about Andertons is one. We will have authorized service centers in the UK and EU as well. In the UK, I believe Surrey Amps is one, Stan Lawrence is a very good, qualified tech and has worked on Mesa (and other brands I have been involved with over the years) for a long time. You can go to our website and search for dealers and service centers by international region. We may also set up our own in-house factory service center as well, but I don't know the details or which country at this time.

If you don't like the thought of buying Mesa products, for whatever reason, that's fine but it would be helpful to everyone on BassChat if you kept your comments factual and accurate.

Your concept of "regular, down to earth American" is extremely skewed. No little league game I have ever been to (when my kids were in Little League) has played our national anthem, nor does anyone that I have ever seen have a flag hanging from their porch or elsewhere. There may be small pockets of such behavior which gets blown WAY out of proportion by the media, but that's just sensationalism. It's no different than the inaccurate portrayal of Europeans (and others) by the media. 

There's a difference between acknowledging a country's past bad behaviors and national pride. I can think of plenty of examples of poor national behavior in the past by all countries, why shouldn't those countries that acknowledge and correct these behaviors be allowed to express national pride? If not, the entire world would remain in perpetual shame.

Yeah - I'm on your side here. I was trying to point out the reason that 'Made in the USA' is a bigger thing to your country than 'Made in *insert X nation*' is to many other countries - especially ours.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Yeah - I'm on your side here. I was trying to point out the reason that 'Made in the USA' is a bigger thing to your country than 'Made in *insert X nation*' is to many other countries - especially ours.

The difference between nationalism and tribalism is always one to think about - and to a certain extent we are cursed by evolution (certainly social evolution) to lean in these ways. That manufacturers can capitalise on this with their prices and marketing is a straight business decision!

• Like 1

We will have authorized service centers in the UK and EU as well. In the UK, I believe Surrey Amps is one, Stan Lawrence is a very good, qualified tech and has worked on Mesa (and other brands I have been involved with over the years) for a long time. You can go to our website and search for dealers and service centers by international region. We may also set up our own in-house factory service center as well, but I don't know the details or which country at this time.

That’s good to know, ive been thinking of getting  my D800+ looked at as it’s got this high pitched noise that I can’t isolate.

Have always loved Mesa Amps massively regret selling on my M9 was the best amp I’ve owned.

• Like 1

We will have authorized service centers in the UK and EU as well. In the UK, I believe Surrey Amps is one, Stan Lawrence is a very good, qualified tech and has worked on Mesa (and other brands I have been involved with over the years) for a long time. You can go to our website and search for dealers and service centers by international region. We may also set up our own in-house factory service center as well, but I don't know the details or which country at this time

This is good to hear. I have heard good things about Surrey Amps and it sounds like Mesa/Gibson are doing things properly. I have never spent that much on an amp but the support really adds value.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, simondee said:

OMG this thread. Frankly I’m just glad Mesa is available again and we have an official customer service point in the UK. 

Will the Gibson Garage service bass amps too? 

I don’t know exactly how the service program will work, but I confirmed that Surrey Amps in the UK should be part of the service program.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 08:27, Phil Starr said:

I love getting comments from @agedhorse who is a person of great knowledge and experience. He frequently helps out with individual advice to owners of gear he has designed or had an association with. His insights into what Gibson are attempting or indeed any information about how things look from his part of the industry are always fascinating and worth reading. I would love it if more industry insiders engage with us in this way. Often in the past this has been from bassists who happen to work in the industry and their insights are always interesting and add to our general knowledge of all things bass. Obviously they are a little constrained in what they can say and they are unlikely to criticise their own products or employers

Couldn't agree more 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Although we left the stupidly left the EU in 2019, I believe that the UK is still part of Europe.

Yes, it looks like the marketing folks need a little refresher on modern history. 

Interesting thread...

Forums like BC are such a great source of many things, from bon homie to amusing belligerence, and I'm sure we're all partial to the full gamut from time to time. 

This particular one irks me -

These amps and cabs? Not on your nelly! I like Mesa stuff but these are priced out of the market for the majority of players. I earn good money from music and there isn't a world where I'd shell out for these products over, say, GK's offerings.

I couldn't give two hoots where things are made per se, as long as the product, buyer experience and aftercare are fit for purpose. On the contrary, if I feel like I'm being taken the piss out of it leaves a sour taste, regardless of some superiority delusion masquerading as 'provenance'.

Of course this is all my opinion, but it's not lost on me that I am in the relatively unusual position of having the funds and work to justify considering equipment that is towards the pricier end of retail. These are beyond that and yet are not a luxury; luxury is commissioning a build with a craftsman (like Jon Shuker for example, whose skill, time and flexibility add a unique and personal value), not preordering on Anderton's. 

2 hours ago, tobiewharton said:

Interesting thread...

Forums like BC are such a great source of many things, from bon homie to amusing belligerence, and I'm sure we're all partial to the full gamut from time to time. 

This particular one irks me -

These amps and cabs? Not on your nelly! I like Mesa stuff but these are priced out of the market for the majority of players. I earn good money from music and there isn't a world where I'd shell out for these products over, say, GK's offerings.

I couldn't give two hoots where things are made per se, as long as the product, buyer experience and aftercare are fit for purpose. On the contrary, if I feel like I'm being taken the piss out of it leaves a sour taste, regardless of some superiority delusion masquerading as 'provenance'.

Of course this is all my opinion, but it's not lost on me that I am in the relatively unusual position of having the funds and work to justify considering equipment that is towards the pricier end of retail. These are beyond that and yet are not a luxury; luxury is commissioning a build with a craftsman (like Jon Shuker for example, whose skill, time and flexibility add a unique and personal value), not preordering on Anderton's. 

Then it’s pretty clear that Mesa amps aren’t for you. Nothing wrong with that, but you speak for yourself and fortunately not for others who may disagree with your perspective.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Then it’s pretty clear that Mesa amps aren’t for you. Nothing wrong with that, but you speak for yourself and fortunately not for others who may disagree with your perspective.

Thanks for the reassurance that I am indeed expressing an opinion 🙄

Whom are the products 'for' exactly? Folk gullible and rich enough to fork out over 2K for a cab that isn't gold-plated? 

If something is unique and offers something others do not, some people will buy them and there is nothing wrong with that. 

The Mesa Amps that @agedhorse designs are fully featured, arguably better featured than any others. I would love to try one but I cannot justify the expense. As a weekend warrior, it would take a year to earn enough to pay for one. I could afford one, who needs a funeral fund anyway? However I will not. 

As a big RHCP fan I stupidly thought that I needed a GK rig. I flipped in in less than a month as I could not get on with it. 

Everyone’s opinion is valid but if someone none is happy to pay for a Mesa, so be it. 

Finally, it is rare for a manufacturer's representative to post on BC and @agedhorse often adds wisdom and clarity to the discussion about amplification, with years of experience to back it up. I am glad he is willing to post on here. 

• Like 4