Why become a member? ×

Ever bought gear you regretted buying?

snorkie635

Oh yes, time to join in I think! First off,  A deArmond Pilot Pro fiver bought as a first venture into B-string territory actually sounded nice with a set of new Swing Bass on, but it was a thing clearly meant for real men, not a mere stripling like me; it weighed in at well over ten pounds and had a fretboard so wide you’d need hands like a Yeti to cover it. So I moved from the cor-blimey to the sublime (I thought). I bought a Jazz fiver 60th anniversary model from a well known purveyor of bass stuff. Looked lovely, a fretboard as svelte as Ms Willets, but sounded just...meh, whatever I played it through. Now have a Bongo, ‘nuff said.

i really regretted trying to roll back time by taking on a Bassman 4x12 cab (Memory lane, I’d bought one new back in 1980 but scrapped it in 1990,  keeping its matching silver face amp that I’ve still got). I paid £150 for this dream replacement, spent another £100 on new hardware and a more for a Roqsolid cover so it looked nice, but never played a gig on it. Too big, too heavy. Sold it on here for £1 as I’d run out of storage space.

And as for that Ricky 4004 Cheyenne 2, it looked superb in Trans Blue, but I could never get the action or sound I’d hoped for, so off it went, at a loss of about £500. Do you see a pattern emerging here, a chap dazzled by form over functionality? Could be said about other aspects of my life too...

• Sad 1

With the absolute clarity of 20/20 hindsight some of the things I have bought didn't work out as planned.  All now filed under 'stuff happens' and, frankly, small beans compared to some of the other blind alleys my life has taken.  Life is too short and precious to spend it mired in regrets.

Apart from seller's remorse over the Yamaha SB-35 I should never, ever have sold, of course 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every Fender or Fender clone I’ve owned. I love the look - incredibly cool. However, in my hands they sound dull and feel uncomfortable. In the hands of others, they can sound beautiful. Inevitably, I will buy more and again, sell at a loss

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Absolutely, though I was going to suggest a 1796 patt light cavalry sabre, a bloke I knew got his ear sliced in half with one of those.. It wasn't me that did it, honest.. though I did stab a French bloke in the hand with one once (whilst fighting on horseback y'know) 🔪

Ah, the well known French singer, Charles Asnoand.

• Like 1

My TRBX604 taught me that I don't like humbuckers, D'Addario XL Nickels, 38mm nuts, shallow neck profiles or active electronics.

I cant decide if that means I should regret buying it, or quite the opposite — all four of the basses which followed it have made me very content, so I guess it was a useful lesson worth paying for?

Once bought a H/H 115 bass combo back in late 70s as I was so impressed with the sound achieved by a local bass player using same amp but 2x15.The combo was the latest incarnation of the range. It was the biggest pile of plop put together under the heading of musical equipment.Incapable of any volume or usable tone.Needles to say don’t think I ever saw another one being used by anyone.

• Sad 1

On 06/10/2023 at 22:51, Waddo Soqable said:

Actually, back to the original question..

Yes, a Hartke HA3500 amp, it was utter piece of shlt and couldn't get a decent sound out of it. 

I had a load of gigs coming up and ongoing so thought I could do with a "decent" amp & just grabbed one of the above, brand new, from GAK as I recall, purely as an easy option, so I thought. 

Did a whole bunch of gigs and put up with it for a bit, but in the end gladly got shot of it and replaced with an old Peavey which was brilliant, shudda just got something like that in the first place. 

Great that we’re all different on here - I really liked the couple of Hartke HA3500 amps I had.

(There’s also a recent thread in the ‘Amplifiers’ section with quite a few glowing comments.)

For me they are solid, reliable and loud with a good EQ and one of the few compressors I’ve ever

got on with! Only moved mine on for smaller amps, but would happily use them again. Had 

hoped the newer TX models would be as good but many comments about them being 

underpowered. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Great that we’re all different on here - I really liked the couple of Hartke HA3500 amps I had.

(There’s also a recent thread in the ‘Amplifiers’ section with quite a few glowing comments.)

For me they are solid, reliable and loud with a good EQ and one of the few compressors I’ve ever

got on with! Only moved mine on for smaller amps, but would happily use them again. Had 

hoped the newer TX models would be as good but many comments about them being 

underpowered. 

Absolutely, a number of people on here have had good results with the Hartke, which I must say surprised me after the one I had.!  Perhaps I was unlucky and got a bit of a dud one 

dontknow.gif

32 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Absolutely, a number of people on here have had good results with the Hartke, which I must say surprised me after the one I had.!  Perhaps I was unlucky and got a bit of a dud one 

dontknow.gif

That’s quite possible. The preamp tube may have been duff, although I think you can run them without

it in the signal chain so who knows?!! Also the earlier ones were ( IIRC) a Mosfet design which I believe

was later altered so perhaps this affected things too. I had one of the matching cabs with the aluminium

cones which I didn’t get on with at all. 😆

Edited by casapete

48 minutes ago, casapete said:

That’s quite possible. The preamp tube may have been duff, although I think you can run them without

it in the signal chain so who knows?!! Also the earlier ones were ( IIRC) a Mosfet design which I believe

was later altered so perhaps this affected things too. I had one of the matching cabs with the aluminium

cones which I didn’t get on with at all. 😆

It was bought brand new in 2004 as I recall, so no idea which version it was, I used it with aluminium speakered cabs too (tho not Hartke make).. the cabs were fine as I continued using them with the next amp that replaced it, (the old peavey) and they sounded perfectly well with that, so not the speaker's fault in this case 😁

• Like 1