Why become a member? ×

Machine Music!

Leonard Smalls

Unfamiliar with the original, I can't judge that aspect, but I won't be buying the album of this ^^^^. Excellent drum 'thwack', but that's its only saving grace to these cloth ears. I'll not be giving it 'five'; rather an abstention, as a kindness. :|

24 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Possibly a link to wherever you found this?

A mate of mine sent it to me! Here's the blurb that was with it:

Bandleader David Kant teaches a machine to hear pop songs, and the Happy Valley Band plays what the computer hears.

FREE DOWNLOAD of "Like a Prayer" from ORGANVM PERCEPTVS: indexical.bandcamp.com/album/organvm-perceptvs
Buy ORGANVM PERCEPTVS on vinyl + digital: indexical.bandcamp.com/album/organvm-perceptvs

ORGANVM PERCEPTVS is a deconstruction of popular music through the use of state-of-the-art machine listening technologies. It is a collection of 11 songs composed over the past five years for the Happy Valley Band, an experimental music group formed specifically to play this work. ORGANVM PERCEPTVS asks the question: how do we hear, and how can machines help us hear differently?

The Happy Valley Band is the Great American Songbook heard through the ear of a machine. The project is a deconstruction of popular music through the use of state-of-the-art machine listening technologies. It's about machine learning, listening, pop music, and copyright. Custom-built computer software written by bandleader and composer David Kant "unmixes" recordings and transcribes them into musical notation. The Happy Valley Band is an experimental music ensemble formed specifically to play this music.

https://www.indexical.org/releases/happy-valley-band-organvm-perceptvs

Edited by Leonard Smalls

Having dipped into about half the tracks on the album I suspect that there is some deliberate mangling of the original songs going on, because even 25 years ago Recycle! would have done a better job of dissecting the drum machine intro from "In The Air Tonight" than has been displayed by ORGANVM PERCEPTVS. Also I think that knowing what the original should sound like is influencing at least some of the musicians as the dynamics of "Born To Run" have been pretty much preserved even if all the notes haven't.

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

knowing what the original should sound like is influencing at least some of the musicians

Aye! Perhaps they also do the "Shreds" series as a side project!

However, if you're going to mangle a classic it's not easy to destroy it as well as this!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You made me feel 41 years younger @Leonard Smalls.

Always loved The Residents and saw them live once in my life when I was 17 years old (and had been a huge fan since I was 15 years old), I even "slept" at the Brussels Central Station with all the fauna you can expect.

We were fired at around 5 in the morning and spent the rest of the night wandering in the streets of Brussels until the first train home arrived which was 2 hours later.

Great memories with these night walkers always kidding, laughing, drinking, smoking, but taking care of the others and absolutely not vandalising anything (as opposed to what is believed).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

This is how a computer hears and then notates Madonna's "Like a Prayer". I'm liking it - better than the original in a WTF freejazz sort of way. Sounds like some of my own offerings 😁

It sounds like Madonnas backing band had failed to turn up to the gig so she had to use a bunch of local beginners to help out.

Absolutely hilarious, especially the keyboards and the random percussion towards the end ! 😁👍