Why become a member? ×

Quiet stage and using a bass kicker...

bass_dinger

I know that this has come up before on Basschat,  but I can't find the thread. 

I want to mount a device that vibrates, onto a platform. 

Device is connected to the amplifier, I play a note, and feel the note through my feet.  It thus feels louder, and I can turn down the stage volume. 

So, what are those devices called?

1 minute ago, ped said:

@obbm made a version attached to a drum stool IIRC... think it worked well.

I did but when we moved to Cornwall I sold the bits as I didn't think I'd need it.

Then I found a band and had to buy an Eich stool which I still have.

I've also made a couple of bass boards but never used them as the backbeat is quite good.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Perfect!

But even Perfecter would be to buy a vibration unit separately....

I see that @Bigwan had "plans to do a DIY one when time allows.."

Is that possible?

There was a project on one of the German bass forums showing the whole build process. If you look around the internet you'll see pictures of the insides of an Eich board. It's not just possible, it's uncomplicated!

Bodyshaker Speaker https://amzn.eu/d/6GJhcvH

Edited by Bigwan

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Do you have the designs or details on these? I'm thinking the hardest part is the transducer, did you source that or build your own?

I used these transducers.  I built a 4 which proved to be a bit cumbersome and I still have the 2.  The next project is a single. My most recent band used pre-recorded drum tracks so I had a feed of that into the Eich stool but as the levels were not very constant it sometimes got a bit over-excited and caused me some back problems.  I used the 2 transducer at our final gig but even that is a bit too large so I will make a single unit, just in case we reform.

As someone has pointed out there is a very detailed article in German which was very helpful.  I had to make a number of router templates for the different depth cut-outs.  The most difficult bit was stopping unwanted vibrations, particularly the base.  I also had a couple of transducers go off-centre and vibrate rather than thump.

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

I have a German speaking wife, lots of 18mm mdf, and £23.

Looks like I have a project ....

Darling, I'm building a vibrator, can you help me?

p.s. please post on Build Diaries, in English.

Edited by Richard R
  • Haha 1

This thread is of no practical use to me personally, but just chipping in here to say that it’s threads like this that demonstrate rather succinctly what a great forum BC is. Or rather, how great its users are individually and collectively. 

Anyway, that’s enough of that mushiness. Pray continue…

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 4

I have discovered that the venue already has a small portable platform,  so I don't need to make my own.

But it looks like I will need a separate 150 watt bass amp to power the unit  - I can't plug it into the existing amp, because when I turn it up to get more vibration from the unit, I will also get more volume from the cabinet. 

So, line out from the original bass amp, into a 150 watt second amp to power the new device. 

Is that right?