Why become a member? ×

Small thumb rests anywhere?

RikiB

Got the JMJ Mustang yesterday and it’s great but both positions of the thumb rest don’t do it for me. I’m more of a Leave me thumb resting on top of the Precision pickup kind of player.

Unfortunately you cannot do this with the smaller and shallower Mustang pickups so at the moment I have just put a small circle piece of rubber that has sticky stuff on it that was in a drawer from years ago and it does the job but I’d like to get something more permanent and screwed into place.

But I don’t want a big sized thumb rest,just something small and discreet maybe thinner and half the size of a normal one.

Looking on the internet I saw 1 picture of a small thumb rest on the very bass model I have and looks good but can’t find them anywhere. Any ideas?

If not I think I’ll find a piece of wood and spend some time sanding it to size and shape myself but I’m lazy.

DF649DFB-8282-4240-A990-4F72C1D8718E.jpeg

Edited by RikiB

• RikiB changed the title to Small thumb rests anywhere?
On 11/09/2023 at 16:51, RikiB said:

That’s a cool idea but not a fan of how it looks. I just want a small thumb rest or something shaped to a thumb. 

Zero-Mod makes several different thumb-rests. You can cut it smaller if you like, of course, and it icurved.

Other than that, something like the Bass Buddy thumb-rest should be easy to make with a 3-D printer.

th.jpeg-1,491.jpg

th.jpeg-1,492.jpg

th.jpeg-1,493.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Zero-Mod makes several different thumb-rests. You can cut it smaller if you like, of course, and it icurved.

Other than that, something like the Bass Buddy thumb-rest should be easy to make with a 3-D printer.

th.jpeg-1,491.jpg

th.jpeg-1,492.jpg

th.jpeg-1,493.jpg

Yeah I saw these but only in America.

something like the small one would be good 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

If you can give me a design, back of fag packet will do, I'll print it up for you for free and send it out. 

The more details the better. 

Thanks 

Rob

That’s very kind of you. I wouldnt know where to start though. Just want something small and maybe curved or shaped.

At the moment I’ve just stuck on of those small square rubber pads you get with effects pedal that you take off to put Velcro on. Actually not bad at just having a home place for my thumb to feel but something shaped like the Bass Buddy would be ideal.

Edited by RikiB

I stuck a small oblong of black perspex-y material (I think it was the remains of a smashed camera filter) on the scratchplate of my Sterling as a very thin anchor/thumbrest. It worked very well.

I think the point I'm trying to make :)  is that rest doesn't have to be that thick to be effective. The piece I used was about 3mm thick.

HTH

Edited by ahpook

@RikiB

Suggest you draw simple banana curve around your thumb and let me know the dimensions and the height you want. Something like this below is fine.

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.e45df09cc20500dceb6b7ca1db95042c.JPG

Also how are you going to attach it to the bass? A screw hole or double sided sticky tape? If it's a hole then whats the diameter of the hole, if it's sticky tape, you might need a little more surface area to stick it on.

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahpook said:

I stuck a small oblong of black perspex-y material (I think it was the remains of a smashed camera filter) on the scratchplate of my Sterling as a very thin anchor/thumbrest. It worked very well.

I think the point I'm trying to make :)  is that rest doesn't have to be that thick to be effective. The piece I used was about 3mm thick.

HTH

Yeah agreed. The little sticky pad I have on there now is 3mm high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

@RikiB

Suggest you draw simple banana curve around your thumb and let me know the dimensions and the height you want. Something like this below is fine.

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.e45df09cc20500dceb6b7ca1db95042c.JPG

Also how are you going to attach it to the bass? A screw hole or double sided sticky tape? If it's a hole then whats the diameter of the hole, if it's sticky tape, you might need a little more surface area to stick it on.

Rob

I’ll have a look later . Thanks

Problem with thumb rests is that they lock your right hand onto a particular bit of the bass robbing you of all kinds of tonal variety. 

And take your thumb away from damping duties.

Probably why you'll almost never see one on a really nice bass ... or being used by a really good bassist!

Snobbery?  Yeah maybe ... just take this as the opinion of an aging jazzer 🙂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I got these. They stick and hold very well.

Theyre just rubber stick on feet but do the job and can easily be removed and because they’re clear you can really see them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165738128998?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sbuuuxgvsp2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=EJRy2vUVQ8C&var=465247430672&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 16/11/2023 at 13:54, RikiB said:

I got these. They stick and hold very well.

Theyre just rubber stick on feet but do the job and can easily be removed and because they’re clear you can really see them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165738128998?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sbuuuxgvsp2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=EJRy2vUVQ8C&var=465247430672&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Theses are, apparently 'BUMPONS'.

Bumpon. I had no expectation of learning any new words today, but there you are. Bumpon.

BUMPON. BUMPON. BUMPON.

• Haha 1