Why become a member? ×

Freddie Mercury Auction

TimR

I guess, like the ‘redistribution’ of anyones life long collection, I find it quite sad. There are people in the world with obscene amounts of disposable income who can afford to massively over pay for someones cherished possessions. Meanwhile children drown on sinking inflatable dinghies while desperately trying to negotiate a freezing expanse of brown sea, to a land where nobody wants them.

Cliche, yes, it has always been thus, and will always be. What a world we live (and die) in.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I guess, like the ‘redistribution’ of anyones life long collection, I find it quite sad. There are people in the world with obscene amounts of disposable income who can afford to massively over pay for someones cherished possessions. Meanwhile children drown on sinking inflatable dinghies while desperately trying to negotiate a freezing expanse of brown sea, to a land where nobody wants them.

Cliche, yes, it has always been thus, and will always be. What a world we live (and die) in.

In fairness, I wouldn't say "nobody wants them". Spot on for the rest though. 😞

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

In fairness, I wouldn't say "nobody wants them". Spot on for the rest though. 😞

Agree - only a certain section of people don't want them. But all these obscene payments for memorabilia goes to a good cause, and when some of these rich hoarders die, some of their items may end up being auctioned for charity too. It's not ideal, but it's something.

• Like 2

I suspect many people who buy them will loan them to collections. Maybe actually play the piano.

There's an interesting story about 'Greeney' told by Kirk Hammett. Originally broken by Peter Green, then smashed up in a car accident with Gary Moore and more recently dropped by Kirk, and repaired again. Estimated to be worth £2m but Kirk doesn't say how much he paid for it. He actually plays it on the Metallica tours. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TimR said:

I suspect many people who buy them will loan them to collections. Maybe actually play the piano.

There's an interesting story about 'Greeney' told by Kirk Hammett. Originally broken by Peter Green, then smashed up in a car accident with Gary Moore and more recently dropped by Kirk, and repaired again. Estimated to be worth £2m but Kirk doesn't say how much he paid for it. He actually plays it on the Metallica tours. 

I’m thrilled that it went to someone who actually plays it live.

I’m even more thrilled that Kirk having it upsets the sad old blues gatekeepers.

I always refer to it as the Greeny/Moore/Hammett guitar now.

Kirk gets a lot of abuse, but he’s a proper guitar nerd and unlike his detractors he’s the one playing Hetfield rhythm parts every night.

His recent interview with Rick Beato is great. He comes across as a really nice guy who still loves to play.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I do find it mildly amusing the Sir Brian says it's all too painful and that Freddie's possessions are being sold to the highest bidder. Since Freddie's death, he has sanctioned the use of Queens music for such things as detergent adverts.

Agreed.  Huge Queen fan but ive not gone to see the current incarnation.  Just seems Roger and Brian and selling the soul of the whole thing.  Shame really.

Another opportunity for me to announce that my 11yr old lads middle name is Deacon after John, much is my love of queen in years gone by

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I’m thrilled that it went to someone who actually plays it live.

I’m even more thrilled that Kirk having it upsets the sad old blues gatekeepers.

I always refer to it as the Greeny/Moore/Hammett guitar now.

Kirk gets a lot of abuse, but he’s a proper guitar nerd and unlike his detractors he’s the one playing Hetfield rhythm parts every night.

His recent interview with Rick Beato is great. He comes across as a really nice guy who still loves to play.

Yep, Hammett on one side of the stage playing Greeny, Trujillo on the other playing Jaco's Bass of Doom. It's fantastic that both instruments still get played and the music snobs get to gnash their teeth and lament that neither instrument is locked in a safe somewhere, of no use to anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Yep, Hammett on one side of the stage playing Greeny, Trujillo on the other playing Jaco's Bass of Doom. It's fantastic that both instruments still get played and the music snobs get to gnash their teeth and lament that neither instrument is locked in a safe somewhere, of no use to anyone.

Big fan of Peter, not a fan at all of Metallica. But delighted that the guitar gets used by someone who obviously loves and respects its past.

• Like 1