Why become a member? ×

*** POSITION FILLED *** Competent bassist for Classic Soul band (Herts/Middx)

Happy Jack

New band formed earlier this year currently comprises four very experienced gigging musicians - drums/BVs, keys/BVs, rhythm guitar/male vox, and saxophone/female vox. We have played our first few gigs (including the British Motor Show) but have now lost our bass player.

This is a gigging band, not a hobby. With five people in the band we’re never going to get rich doing this but that’s OK, we love playing this music and at least we’ll get paid. We’re looking to play pubs & clubs at least once a month (more likely twice) in and around West Herts but there’s not much in the diary just yet. 

The band rehearses on Thursday evenings in our own facility in Harrow HA1, so there is no need to pay for a rehearsal studio. We have an initial 2-hour repertoire in place but we’ll be adding new material over the next couple of months.

The person we’re looking for will:
* be enthusiastic and reliable

* actually want to be in a band
* be prepared to learn new material and rehearse it 
* live within a 40-minute drive of HA1
* have their own car

If you can contribute harmony BVs then that will certainly be welcome, but it’s not essential. As long as you sound right, we’re not fussed what bass you play, how many strings it has, what amp you use, whether you have a pedal board.

Sadly, we have to insist that you have performance video that you can share with us before we can meet for a try-out. We will be happy to share ours with you.

If you think this could work for you, please drop me a PM.

Edited by Happy Jack

A NON-comprehensive songlist would include:

Ain't No Sunshine

Cry To Me

Dancing In The Street

Drift Away

Get Ready

Gimme Some Lovin'

Good Times

Hard To Handle

Heatwave

Higher And Higher

How Long

I Got You (I Feel Good)

I Say A Little Prayer

In The Midnight Hour

Knock On Wood

Lady Marmalade

Lovely Day

Mercy

Mustang Sally

My Girl

Nutbush City Limits

Proud Mary

Reach Out, I'll Be There

Something's Got A Hold

Son Of A Preacherman

Soul Man

Stand By Me

Take Me To The River

Through The Grapevine

Time Is Tight

Twisting The Night Away

Valerie

Why Did You Do It

You Know I'm No Good

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Oooo...

ah, 'competent' you say?

Never mind!

I've been put off from replying to adverts myself in the past by phrases such as "brilliant bass player" or "exciting bass player" or "really good-looking young bass player who can double as a stand-up comedian when the guitarist needs to re-tune again".

What this band needs is competence. 😎

• Haha 1

On 24/08/2023 at 21:30, Happy Jack said:

* live within a 40-minute drive of HA1

Sadly, we have to insist that you have performance video that you can share with us before we can meet for a try-out. We will be happy to share ours with you.

You got me there. I can afford to move house, but performance video ? Not a hope.

I guess I could send you performance video of someone else, you'ld never find out until I showed up for the audition 🙂

Edited by pete.young
  • Haha 2

All joking aside, I can't imagine how any gigging musician in 2023 can not have available performance video.

Every gig I play there will be people in the audience holding up mobile phones ... friends, relatives, bar staff, complete strangers ... and presumably at least some of that always ends up online. I don't bother searching for stuff that others have posted because @Silvia Bluejay and I post enough good-quality performance video to make phone footage irrelevant to us.

If someone has none and wants some, just persuade a couple of people to come to their next gig and pre-arange which songs they should video. Footage from two phones in different places (three or more would be better, of course) combined with even the simplest free video editor would be enough to get a basic result sorted.

• Like 1

• Happy Jack changed the title to *** POSITION FILLED *** Competent bassist for Classic Soul band (Herts/Middx)
On 24/08/2023 at 21:33, Happy Jack said:

A NON-comprehensive songlist would include:

Ain't No Sunshine

Cry To Me

Dancing In The Street

Drift Away

Get Ready

Gimme Some Lovin'

Good Times

Hard To Handle

Heatwave

Higher And Higher