Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1 Four - custom patches

Soledad

Got one of these as a basic (cheap) effects sketchpad - just to get rough ideas before putting a board together for fretless.

But I'm finding it hard to see my way around it. I have downloaded the manual and the effects list - and read them!
It seems the B1 comes with 50 pre-built patches which I can get inside and alter parameters or switch certain effects in or out, but I can't find any way of just going to the list of single effects (e.g. chorus + delay say) and building my own custom patch.

It seems possible by copying an effect across from one of their patches to a new blank - BUT - is that really it, because there are some FX I can't even find in the pre-set patches - some chorus FX like the Boss which is listed for example.

And I'm finding most of their pre-set FX a bit full-on to bonkers for my taste.

So, anyone advise how to build my own new patches - what am I missing? 

The zoom interface takes a bit of getting used to, and it's not very user friendly. 

Stick with it. It's a bit of a pain at first but once you get your head around it it's actually really easy. 

It may make more sense to find a YouTube tutorial than trying to follow the written instructions. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

I wiped mine completely and use the unit in "stomp" mode. 

I have a compressor and an HPF which are always on and then have a drive, chorus and reverb to play with as and when appropriate

Agreed it take s a little while to master, but for the money it's ace

Editing via PC is fun too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Zoom make nice stuff with really really bad presets. 

If you can plug it into your laptop the editor is a lot simpler. 

Sounds like editing on laptop is maybe the way. I'm running Macs but I'm sure that would be OK - where do I find said editor - I looked on zoom site and found firmware but can't see an editor anywhere?

And thanks for all help everyone!! 👍

3 hours ago, Soledad said:

Sounds like editing on laptop is maybe the way. I'm running Macs but I'm sure that would be OK - where do I find said editor - I looked on zoom site and found firmware but can't see an editor anywhere?

And thanks for all help everyone!! 👍

If you can run a Windows emulator, there's the Tonelib one (see above).

Zoom themselves do a not very good editor and patch librarian which does have a Mac version: https://zoomcorp.com/en/gb/software-product-page/software-sub-cat/guitar-lab/

• Like 1

Thanks @tauzero - I'll start with the Zoom editor as I'm not too keen loading an emulator (bad experience some years ago, they've probably sorted it now). I looked at Tonelib but all I want for starters is access to the raw effects so I can make my own soup.

On Zoom doc 'FX list' I grabbed this as an example - several chorus's, same with comps, delay/reverbs etc.

Is there actually a way of accessing that list on the pedal? If not (and I can't find it) that seems a bit 'sweary'. 

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 17.45.11.png

I've only got B3, B3n, and various MS pedals, and the B1 Four isn't quite like them in control terms - the B3s have more knobs and the MSes have fewer. With the ones I have, for each position in the chain, you can select a category and scroll through the effects in that, or just scroll through all the effects (I think with the B3 you can only scroll through all the effects).

Zoom do their own.. GuitarLab?

ToneLib is great... win and ios..

Zoom one doesn't work with the old B1on.

ToneLib is great...

Bin all the pre-set patches, build ya own - i started with storing one pedal per patch to go through easier...

Real easy to save and rename.

Can be done with the controls but really long winded.

Edited by PaulThePlug

On 18/08/2023 at 20:55, LukeFRC said:

Looking it up in the manual

go into a patch - go into edit mode

select effect block you want to change with one of the five effect buttons - use the footswitches to cycle through the effects list 

? does that work? 

This is the way!

You don't actually get a list of effects, for that the screen is way too small, but as far as I recall you do get to chose effect type/category (filter, modulation, distortion, reverb/delay e.t.c), then scroll through the effects one by one, with the foot switches, up and down, to  respectively either the effect above or effect bellow the current one displayed, following the order of the effect list part of the manual (the one OP linked a picture of).

The effect blocks mentioned above equals one for each of the 5 maximum number of effects it is possible to use for each patch, in the order they are linked in a given patch, left to right.

Must admit I find the UI quite intuitive, but looks like I might be the only one here.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

OK- I'll try that, thanks. Downloaded the Tonelib Zoom UI but my Mac won't let me load it as it doesn't trust the source...😂

If I can do what I want on the actual pedal that'll be good, I'm not after anything complicated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soledad said:

OK- I'll try that, thanks. Downloaded the Tonelib Zoom UI but my Mac won't let me load it as it doesn't trust the source...😂

If I can do what I want on the actual pedal that'll be good, I'm not after anything complicated.

If you right click on it and then open it from the menu, it should let you install it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Soledad said:

go to system preferences, security and privacy and you can change the settings to allow it to open the download.

• Like 1