Why become a member? ×

East preamp in Jazz Bass

evan47

Pretty standard mod and, assuming you've got half decent PUPs, it's a gamechanger for the bass (not everyone likes the game, but none the less it changes it). If I were doing it for the first time I's wait for one to come up used on here and buy, that way if you don't like it you can move it on for what you paid  👍

• Like 1

I assume you are thinking of fitting a J-Retro?

The only thing you need to watch is that some of the cheaper Fender basses, savings have been made by reducing the body thickness, and the control cavity may need an extra mm or 2 carefully routing out to accommodate the depth of the pre-amp.

• 4 weeks later...

I've fitted an East preamp to a jazz, it's too versatile for me, i end up fiddling about rather than playing. That's not too say it's not good i think it is, i just spend too long tinkering, especially with the mid and mid frequency. I can't easily see where the knobs are set, I'm better off leaving all the tweaks on the amp. Good piece of kit, but bad for a constant tweaker!

On 03/09/2023 at 13:07, Jo.gwillim said:

I've fitted an East preamp to a jazz, it's too versatile for me, i end up fiddling about rather than playing. That's not too say it's not good i think it is, i just spend too long tinkering, especially with the mid and mid frequency. I can't easily see where the knobs are set, I'm better off leaving all the tweaks on the amp. Good piece of kit, but bad for a constant tweaker!

Totally agree. The Sadowsky Metro Express I bought used has the JE2. I just set it flattish and leave it….

On gigs I mainly use mustangs….nowt to fiddle with 😂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have ordered the J-Tone model as I would rather just have a simpler control layout ( too tempting to fiddle about with mid freq and mid sweep plus switches ), I will have it fitted to my Fender American Professional 2019 bass I acquired from another Bass Chat member ( thank you Matt ).

There is a good chance that I will have a pickup upgrade too but not sure on which ones yet.

Then when all is done to the AM Pro I will fit the USA electrics to my MIM Jazz bass ( 2022  model ).

Edited by evan47