Why become a member? ×

Dad3353's Selection...

Dad3353

On 01/08/2023 at 10:47, Hellzero said:

Jaco Pastorius at his best, nothing else to say, really listening to the others (Lyle Mays and Michael Brecker when he plays) and playing with Don Alias, not against him.

I think Joni Mitchell was the only one who has ever been able to canalise him the right way.

Pat Metheny is also excellent as well as Joni Mitchell of course.

I always saw that gig as the end of Jaco's golden era, there were signs even during it that things were sliding 😞 

• Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

I always saw that gig as the end of Jaco's golden era, there were signs even during it that things were sliding 😞 

I just listen to the music; I couldn't have helped the fellow then, and even less so now. Hejira is, of course, another gem from that stable. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I just listen to the music; I couldn't have helped the fellow then, and even less so now. Hejira is, of course, another gem from that stable. :rWNVV2D:

Hejira is equally good, in fact probably better, I guess I was thinking about Jaco as a live/gigging ensemble player when I posted. He plays some sublime parts in the live show, but he also on occasion, doesn't 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 01/08/2023 at 10:47, Hellzero said:

Jaco Pastorius at his best, nothing else to say, really listening to the others (Lyle Mays and Michael Brecker when he plays) and playing with Don Alias, not against him.

I think Joni Mitchell was the only one who has ever been able to canalise him the right way.

Pat Metheny is also excellent as well as Joni Mitchell of course.

You've probably noticed, but if not, have a listen at around 2:55...Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays craftely drop a phrase from 'Phase Dance' into the proceedings...

I think Pat even has a little chuckle...

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

They were all on their game for this gig. Joni's voice is especially good during this period.

Yes, it’s a magical event, the fading light and the fact it was right at the end of the last summer of the 70’s add a really interesting dynamic and subtext also, adds to the ‘end of an era’ feel

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

We used MD's Blches Brew album ( plus a bit of "don't go to sleep for a few days" powder) as a backing track, over and over and over again, whilst painting a mates flat in Manchester circa 1981. 

Impossible to listen to without being transported right back there 😁

Edited by Waddo Soqable
Stupid filter rubbish
  • Thanks 1